Re: [TexasCzechs] Fish for Xmas

  • CShep10511@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
      That's correct. The European Czechs still have carpa for Christmas Eve. The
      fish are obtained a couple of days before still alive. They are then placed
      in the bathtub or other large tub of water and each day the water is changed.
      This is done in order to "purge" the fish, to clean the fish with fresh clean
      water since the fish come from water ponds and such.

      This information was given to me by a cousin from my Mother's side still
      living in Ostrava, in southern Moravia. We have been fortunate enough to
      visit with her and her family twice in their home in Ostrava and they have
      spent a month in Texas. What an incredible experience!!

      While in southern Moravia, we went to Lichnov to the Texas Czech museum and
      met Prof. Simicek. I was able to locate 3 of my 4 grandparents family names
      in the list of people who registered from the Frenstat, Rosnov, and southern
      Moravia for passage to America. Prof. Simicek's work is so extensive, I was
      able to locate my great-grand parents and their children, ( my grandparents)
      by name!!  It was just unbelievable and very exciting. Also in the museum,
      there is a great deal of information about Czech towns in Texas and the
      people from southern Moravia that have settler here.

      If any of you are ever lucky enough to make the trip to the Czech Republic,
      travel to Lichnov is an absolute must. Prof. Simicek is a wonderful person
      and  great source of information. Also, if you know your family history prior
      to them leaving the Old Country, Prof. Simicek greatly appreciates what
      information you  might have and will include the information in his museum. I
      have extensive information about my grandmother Antonia Hejl's family, which
      Prof. Simicek did not have about the Hejl family, and he was very happy to
      receive the family history prior to leaving Brno and  coming to Texas.  The
      Hejl family settled in West, Ross, Aquilla area of Texas.

      I am sorry to ramble on so, but bringing back such wonderful memories and
      traditions really gets me going.

      Happy Holidays,

      Sincerely,

      Connie

      Researching:  HEJL, HOLUB, MENSIK, AND NORS
    • Loretta and David
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
        Carp are raised on fish farms in the C.R. therefore carp would be their
        choice. Here in America we prefer other fish. I ran across an article in the
        Galveston Weekly News dated Nov 11, 1880 where the people in Brenham Tx.
        were awaiting a shipment of red fish from Galveston, Texas because they had
        someone in the area stealing all the Turkeys so they were going to replace
        them with fish for the holidays.

        Tim Dybala wrote:

        > I always heard it was 'carp' specifically at Christmas.

      • Lois Petter Pereira
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2000
          I just wish that these musuems could go on line. I know this is not the same as actually being there but there are people out there who are house bound or financially unable to make the trip and Í think it would be awesome to have the ability to do a virtual visit ..lois

          CShep10511@... wrote:

[...]

          Lois Petter Pereira
          Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser