Ancestry.com site

  • carlgenlnrt
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
      Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com? Can you see the passenger arrival
      manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial? Just want to get
      other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.

      Thanks,

      Carl
    • Jim Hlavac
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
        I have used Ancestry.com
        not for passanger lists, but for the census.
        They have mangled Czech names horribly in their search feature. Whether using the "exact match" or "soundex" feature - quite amazing what they did.
        As for nationality or ethnicity they are also all over the place, including 19 "Bohemians" listed as Bolivians !!! I kid you not.  A few listed as Belenians -- what ever they are.
        My recommendation is to use the public library --it's free (at least here in Louisiana)
        At least until you get a feel for whatever they did to passenger ship lists, though I don't recall seeing those available at the library.  Perhaps it's a bit different what they offer to libraries versus subscription.
        Cheers
        Jim

        carlgenlnrt <carlgenlnrt@...> wrote:
        Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com?  Can you see the passenger arrival
        manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial?  Just want to get
        other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.

        Thanks,

        Carl

        Yahoo! Mail

      • Diane Baldwin
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
          I didn't like ancestry.com I tried it and couldn't hardly find anything.  I had better luck at the library too!  Leo Baca had lists in his books I think.  If they came into Indianola you won't find them because quite a few of those records were lost in hurricane.  I have even used the lds.org site and have had problems finding people its like they fell off the earth.
          Texas Seaport museum online has some listed.
          Well, good luck!
          Diane

          Jim Hlavac <louisianaczech@...> wrote:
[...]

        • rebellous_99
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
            I used Ancestry early last month when they had the free trial of sorts
            of the WWI records; I found it frustrating and mostly a waste of time.
            Unless you know exact spellings, etc., it's a pain.

            Matt

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "carlgenlnrt" <carlgenlnrt@y...>
            wrote:
            > Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com? Can you see the passenger
            arrival
            > manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial? Just want to get
            > other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Carl
          • Patricia Mercincavage
            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
              Carl,
              I saw the postings indicating some have had trouble using the site for various reasons.  I didn't do the free trial.  I went ahead and subscribed to it, one module at a time as I gained knowledge and experience with it, and it did take me some time to figure out the different quirks about searching, but I have found so much on that site that (for me at least) it has been well worth my time and the cost of joining.  I can only speak for myself, but I have been able to track my way back several generations, and get copies of the actual census listings, the ships' lists, property ownership info, veteran's pension info, veteran's service records, marriage and birth records, etc.  Far more than I could have done otherwise, since I have little free time to visit libraries or the Archives.  Just my perspective, and I know it's different for each person.

              Hope this helps.

              Pat Mercincavage
              Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com?  Can you see the passenger arrival
              manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial?  Just want to get
              other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.

              Thanks,

              Carl

              ">Help save the life of a child. Support St. Jude Children┬┐s Research Hospital</a>.</font>

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • George Patrick
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
                Diane,
                The Victoria, Tx. GenWeb Project has re-constructed many of the Indianola immigration records and they are available by visiting their digital database online.  Their website has instructions as to how to visit the database.  They don't claim to have complete records but they do have quite a few.

                George
[...]

                Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
              • Diane Baldwin
                Message 7 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
                  I looked at that but I thought it was what you told them and I don't have information to give them.

                  George Patrick <GPATRICK@...> wrote:
[...]

                • Lois Petter Pereira
                  Message 8 of 25 , Aug 4, 2005
                    i subscribed about 6 months ago and after not having a subscription for about 5 years i was very impressed with the additions made. i personally like the ability to search with very little info...for example i can enter the first name (use American spelling as Joseph versus Josef) the approx birth year and county if you know it. The results will then come back with all the Joseph/Josef for that birthyear and in that county, the rest will then follow so you basically go down list. I found a Gajewsky this way but it was spelled Gayobsky. This is just another tool to use. I started with Steve's obits to add people and now am using ancestry, Family Search and Tx Gen Web for the rest. So I have to vote yes for Ancestry and my needs.........lois

                    wrote:
                    > Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com?  Can you see the passenger
                    arrival
                    > manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial?  Just want to get
                    > other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Carl

                    Lois Petter Pereira
                  • MistRaven@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                      In a message dated 8/4/2005 6:03:52 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, carlgenlnrt@... writes:
                      Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com?  Can you see the passenger arrival manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial?  Just want to get other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.
                      I had a 30 day free trial (that just ended) at Ancestry.com and I could *not* access the passenger lists.  They want extra money for that.

                      Blessings,
                      ~Stacy A Chadwick
                      _______________________________________
                      There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. -- Edith Wharton
                    • The Stepan's

                        Message 11 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                          Carl,

                          I agree with Lois and Pat, Ancestry.com is a valuable tool and worth the money. It does take time to learn the tricks to searching thier databases though. I think it took a good six months figuring out how to search. I have found family using Ancestry without even putting in a surname...there are ways of getting around indexing errors for surnames. I even use some of the search techniques I learned on Ancestry to search for genealogical information on Google.

                          Good Luck
                          Debbie

                          carlgenlnrt <carlgenlnrt@...> wrote:
                          Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com?  Can you see the passenger arrival
                          manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial?  Just want to get
                          other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.

                          Thanks,

                          Carl

                          http://mail.yahoo.com

                        • David
                          Message 12 of 25 , Aug 5, 2005
                            I put vote into the "yes" column as well. I've found it to be an
                            extremely valuable tool. Yes, the names are garbled. But, they're not
                            really worse than indexes you'll in the library. Plus, you can sit
                            and page through all this stuff in the comfort of your home in your
                            pajamas...

                            The one area that I've never found useful are the passenger lists.
                            I've never found any relatives in the ones they have listed online.

                            But overall, I think it's worth the money.

                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Debra Monsive <tomdebmon@y...>
                            wrote:
                            > Carl,
                            >
                            > I agree with Lois and Pat, Ancestry.com is a valuable tool and
                            worth the money. It does take time to learn the tricks to searching
                            thier databases though. I think it took a good six months figuring
                            out how to search. I have found family using Ancestry without even
                            putting in a surname...there are ways of getting around indexing
                            errors for surnames. I even use some of the search techniques I
                            learned on Ancestry to search for genealogical information on Google.

                            > Good Luck
                            > Debbie
                            >
                            > carlgenlnrt <carlgenlnrt@y...> wrote:
                            > Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com? Can you see the passenger
                            arrival
                            > manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial? Just want to get
                            > other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            >
                            > Carl
                            >

                            > Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less
                            mail.

                            > Traditions Collective soul Ethnic Origin Czech republic Czech
                            republic hotel

                            Service.

                            > http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • Gerri Martisek
                            Message 13 of 25 , Aug 6, 2005
                              I have to vote "Yes".

                              I have had a membership for a couple of years now. For the first year
                              and a half I only had the basic membership (census, etc). It was nice
                              for me because if I needed or wanted to check something at anytime I
                              could. I work full time and even though I have 2 LDS libraries very
                              close (one is about 2 miles and the other I pass on my way to work), I
                              haven't been there because of the time element. Clayton Library is also
                              about 20 miles away, but I haven't been there in over 20+ years because
                              of the time element. I have to take time off from work specificlly to
                              do it.

                              About 6 months ago I added the Birth/Marriage/Divorce Records to my
                              membership. That part has been very helpful to me in filling in the
                              missing pieces for more recent parts of the family. Ones that I knew
                              they had 2 girls and a boy, but not sure of names or who they married
                              and when. I know about the site that has this info for Texas for free,
                              but only up to 1949 for births. The Ancestry site (as of this time) has
                              the info up to about about 2002.

                              Also, when I do a search for someone Ancestry will also bring up obits
                              in which that person is mentioned. I have found quite a bit of info
                              that way.

                              However, I understand that what works for some folks doesn't work for
                              others.

                              Gerri
                              Friendswood, TX
                            • Debra Zwahr
                              Message 14 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
                                From David Zwahr, I have had a subscription to Ancestry.com for over a year
                                now and just renewed. I found the WWI Draft Registration Cards a gold mine
                                on both my German, Czech surnames and my wifes basically English surnames.
                                If you knew within one county or the next one over you could search by first
                                names. The may list 60 or more names but you would know the one or two
                                possibilities. The additional trick is to narrow the county search down by
                                where they were living in the 1910 or 1920 Census. I was able to find I am
                                guessing 30 of my relatives and about 40 of my wifes. The bonus is the next
                                of kin indicated near the bottom. If you did not know for sure when your
                                relative married during let us say 1917 to 1919 if they listed a Mrs. or her
                                first name check the date of the card on the right. You can then enter
                                married Bef. 9-12-18, for example. The next of kin may also be indicated as
                                father, mother, sister or not indicated with just a name.

                                wrote:
                                > Has anybody ever used Ancestry.com? Can you see the passenger
                                arrival
                                > manifest images just for doing the 14 week trial? Just want to get
                                > other opinions before I make a decision to subscribe.
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                >
                                > Carl

                                Yahoo! Groups Links
                              • Debra Zwahr
                                Message 15 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005

                                  Ran across this database while researching the Czech and German side of my family tree.  Good Luck with it.

                                   The second webpage deals with U.S. immigaration database for the entire U.S.

                                  David Zwahr
                                  Pasadena, Texas

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
                                    Debre,

                                    You found good use of Ancestry, and think probably better than others.  I'm lucky that I have my kin during the WWI and II period.  However, young people starting in genealogy might find Ancestry good use if do not know how to find much of the information elsewhere.

                                    I wasn't too happy when found Family Tree Maker is now owned by Ancestry.  Sure enough, what I expected came true when I ordered the new update Family Tree Maker 2006 yesterday by phone. In the past a registered user got new versions for $19.95 - now 50% more - $29.95 IO haven't updated for recently and do not want to get outdatted and unable to update..  I like the restiled format.  I let the lady order taker know Ancestry was really receiving comments on a genealogy site how they liked credit cards.

                                    Debra Zwahr <dzwahr@...> wrote:
                                    From David Zwahr, I have had a subscription to Ancestry.com for over a year
                                    now and just renewed.  I found the WWI Draft Registration Cards a gold mine

                                    Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                                  • Cindy Neal
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Aug 8, 2005
                                      Message
                                      John, when you get your new FTM installed let us know how you like it.  I'm using 2005 and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading now or waiting for the next version.  I am upset that they are charging more also.  I could see a couple of dollars but this is greedy.

                                      Cindy

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Aug 9, 2005
                                            A couple years ago when I was deciding whether or not to upgrade my
                                            copy of FTM, I decided to look around at the other options and
                                            stumbled across a program called Legacy. I haven't seen it in the
                                            stores in my area, but you can download a free version at
                                            www.legacyfamilytree.com. The free version is pretty good, but they
                                            also offer a "Deluxe" version with more bells and whistles for $19.95.

                                            I love this program. The interface isn't as "pretty" as FTM, but I've
                                            found it to be much more powerful and user-configurable as far as
                                            easily being able to store and change the types of information you
                                            want to keep track of. It also generates fairly decent looking
                                            webpages that allow for some customization AND (a big plus for me)
                                            allows you to easily post on your own website, unlike FTM, which only
                                            let you post stuff to their Internet site (that may have changed now,
                                            but that's the way it was when I used the program).

                                            Anyway, I can't say enough good things about the program and the
                                            people I've dealt with the couple of times I had questions about it. I
                                            would personally never go back to FTM.

                                            ~Dave

                                            :
                                            > John, when you get your new FTM installed let us know how you like
                                            it. I'm
                                            > using 2005 and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading now or
                                            waiting for
                                            > the next version. I am upset that they are charging more also. I
                                            could see
                                            > a couple of dollars but this is greedy.
                                            >
                                            > Cindy

                                          • George Patrick
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Aug 11, 2005
                                              David,
                                              I read the information and it shows that Legacy is also part of
                                              Ancestery.com? Could that be?

                                              george
                                              >A couple years ago when I was deciding whether or not to upgrade my
                                              > copy of FTM, I decided to look around at the other options and
                                              > stumbled across a program called Legacy. I haven't seen it in the
                                              > stores in my area, but you can download a free version at
                                              > www.legacyfamilytree.com. The free version is pretty good, but they
                                              > also offer a "Deluxe" version with more bells and whistles for $19.95.
                                              >
                                              > I love this program. The interface isn't as "pretty" as FTM, but I've
                                              > found it to be much more powerful and user-configurable as far as
                                              > easily being able to store and change the types of information you
                                              > want to keep track of. It also generates fairly decent looking
                                              > webpages that allow for some customization AND (a big plus for me)
                                              > allows you to easily post on your own website, unlike FTM, which only
                                              > let you post stuff to their Internet site (that may have changed now,
                                              > but that's the way it was when I used the program).
                                              >
                                              > Anyway, I can't say enough good things about the program and the
                                              > people I've dealt with the couple of times I had questions about it. I
                                              > would personally never go back to FTM.
                                              >
                                              > ~Dave
                                              >
                                              > :
                                              >> John, when you get your new FTM installed let us know how you like
                                              > it. I'm
                                              >> using 2005 and trying to decide if it's worth upgrading now or
                                              > waiting for
                                              >> the next version. I am upset that they are charging more also. I
                                              > could see
                                              >> a couple of dollars but this is greedy.
                                              >>
                                              >> Cindy

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                              >

                                              > --

                                            • John L. Mikeska

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Aug 12, 2005
                                                  That might have been a different Legacy program because FTM was owned
                                                  by Broderbund before MyFamily.com (who run Ancestry.com) bought it.
                                                  The Legacy I have is owned by the Millenia Corporation and has never
                                                  been owned by either Broderbund or MyFamily.

                                                  In any event, I have no dog is this hunt. I just thought I'd pass
                                                  along a cheaper option than FTM that (in my humble opinion) does more.

                                                  ~David

                                                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Mikeska"
                                                  <jlmikeska@y...> wrote:
                                                  > A friend downloaded Legacy several years ago and we looked at it.
                                                  Appeared a CC of Family Tree Maker to me, and was owned by FTM.
                                                  Don't know if there was any difference between the two as he didn't
                                                  use it but a short time and I saw no reason to change from FTM at the
                                                  time.

                                                  > Sir John
                                                  >
                                                  > George Patrick <GPATRICK@a...> wrote:
                                                  > David,
                                                  > I read the information and it shows that Legacy is also part of
                                                  > Ancestery.com? Could that be?
                                                  >

                                                  > Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                                                  > What good is information if not shared with others?
                                                • David
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Aug 12, 2005
                                                    I'm not sure what you read, but they're not "a part of" Ancestry.com.
                                                    They do have an affiliate link on the side of their home page and
                                                    some of their newsletters mention how to effectively use and cite
                                                    Ancestry.com data in their software, but they are two different
                                                    companies. It makes sense that they do "mention" ancestry on their
                                                    webpage because Ancestry.com is such a huge resource for a lot of
                                                    people. It will be intresting to see how much Legacy continues to
                                                    mention them now that they've bought up FTM.

                                                    In any event, Legacy (and Millenia Corp, who makes the program) are
                                                    definately NOT a part of Family Tree Maker. The following link is a
                                                    page of their bragging about comments of people who switched from FTM
                                                    to them:

                                                    http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/FTM2Legacy.asp

                                                    BTW...I wholeheartadly agree with the comments on that page. But like
                                                    I said in my other post, I have no dog in this hunt. It doesn't
                                                    benefit me either way what anybody else uses to keep track of their
                                                    family :) I'm just a satisfied customer helping to spread the word a
                                                    little :)

                                                    ~David

                                                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "George Patrick" <GPATRICK@a...>

                                                    8/9/2005

                                                  • John L. Mikeska
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Aug 12, 2005
                                                      David,

                                                      I went to www.legacyfamilytree.com and checked out the present Legacy.  It sure does not have the same format as FTM the friend and I downloaded a few years ago.  I viewed some of the video of how Legacy works and the same information seems to be the same, but in different format.  Several things stand out in the Legacy program, such as age of death shows automatically.  If you enter county that did not exist at date you are working on, a menu comes up stating the county did not exist at that date.  Give you menu to check when the county was formed, plus help you learn county named at time of the date.

                                                      Pretty good program for free, the standard program.  I didn't even check out the DeLuxe version.  Anyone looking for a PC genealogy program, I join you in recommending Legacy.

                                                      Sir John