Re: [TexasCzechs] retiring a US flag

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2005
      >>On July 4th (Independence Day), I noticed that the flag
      I proudly displayed was faded and needing replacement.
      When I took down my flag the evening of July 4th, I folded it as
      it should be in the familiar triangle shape.  I had intentions of
      giving it to a Boy Scout troop, VFW, or American Legion unit to
      retire my US flag.
      ...but instead, this evening, I found my faded flag, made sure the
      charcoal was good and hot, said the pledge of allegiance to the
      flag and gently placed it in the middle of the glowing embers.
      I was at first saddened when it caught fire.  It was somewhat
      troubling to me....but then I reminded myself that I was doing
      this out of reverence, love and dignity of our flag....not out of
      hate or disdain for it.
      Soon the consuming flames overtook my flag and completely
      enveloped it.  In a matter of minutes, it was reduced to ashes.
      Tomorrow, I will take those ashes and bury them in my back yard.
      That's the end of my story.  Wish I had a literary background so
      that I could effectively make you feel as patriotic as I do this
      evening.  God bless you all and God bless the USA.<<

      Tim,

      My husband, sons (one Eagle Scout and one Life Scout) and I were all Boy Scouts until just a few years ago and have had the honor of participating in flag-burning ceremonies.  My husband and I were both Asst. Scoutmasters (Gordon was also a Scoutmaster).  Nothing is as touching as a flag-burning ceremony that is done correctly.  It sounds to us as if you did everything right.  The reason that we ask people to take their worn out, dirty or faded flags to certified (to burn flags-many troops have not taken the class) Boy Scout troops and VFW groups is that the general public doesn't know how to properly dispose of a flag.  You treated the flag with the same dignity and care that we would have done-the Pledge of Allegiance, burying the ashes and all.   :-)   All we would have added is a few words that weren't really necessary.  You did a good job and I'm glad that you feel as patriotic as we did when we did it.  Yes, and I will join you in saying God Bless the USA and God Bless all of us Texas-Czechs and our families.

      Nan