Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Kolaches

  • phydo35@aol.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 5, 2000
      Thanks for submitting the info on where to find your Kolache recipe.
      If there are any others out there that would share theirs or their ancestors'
      recipes for
      Kolaches, I would be very grateful.
      Thank you,
      BSwoboda
      (Phydo35)
    • Alphonse Polansky
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 10, 2001
        When we were in the CZR last summer we ate a lot of kolaches and they seem to be darker and more dry then the ones we get here. Maybe the flour they use is courser. They were smaller and did not seem to rise as much as the ones we make. They were made the same no matter where we ate them. Kay P.
      • Kathy Horak Smith
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 12, 2001
          Sir John,
          Since you weren't able to come to the meeting, I got your prune, apricot and poppyseed Kolaches that Lois brought to the meeting.   Yum Yum!!!!  I truly hope you're feeling better.

          Kathy
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 13, 2001
            you sure know how to rub it in!  ;-)
            Since you weren't able to come to the meeting, I got your prune, apricot and poppyseed Kolaches that Lois brought to the meeting.   Yum Yum!!!!  I truly hope you're feeling better.

            Kathy
            Glad to see the start of the show has the computer online and
            ready for talking with members,

            I would appreciate a cup of coffee, one sweetener, and two
            kolaches, prune and apricot.  Can I get this this morning, or do
            I have to wait?  I am a big tipper, remember.

            Sir John

          • Kotrla, Richard (RJ)
            Message 5 of 21 , May 19, 2001
              Dan and Bea:

              Thanks so much for your contribution and history lesson the bakery.

              Our thoughts are with you concerning your father.

              And as time passes, some of our favorite places come and go and the way they
              were operated years ago, is not the way business is done today. Sad, but
              true.

              Richard

              Are still trying to keep up with reading the email but my Dad has gotten
              very ill and we had no choice but to place him in a nursing home after
              several weeks of hospitalization so haven't been keeping up really well.

              Your question about good kolaches. This may not be anything you can use
              but in our area really good kolaches can be purchased at Weikel's Store
              and Bakery across from McDonald's where Business Hwy 71 West intersects
              with the Hwy 71 Bypass near where the Colorado River flows through La
              Grange. These kolaches are mass produced and a little "old" Czech lady
              has nothing to do with the production of the finished product. The
              kolaches are very good though and there are may varieties and they sell
              many, many kolaches. Here in La Grange the Weikel family owned the Bon
              Ton Cafe for many years and served really good food cooked by little
              Czech and German ladies but that time has passed in our history and
              after going through numerous "new" owners and some "chckered" times, the
              Bon Ton Cafe is no longer. This Weikel's Store and Bakery though is
              still owned by a member of the family that owned the original cafe and
              has been in business for quite a few years (guessing perhaps around
              15). The have a goldmine there in that their location is such that it
              catches the Houston to Austin traffic that comes via the I10 and Highway
              71 route.

              This may not be anything in the way of the information that you want.
              Keep up the good work.

              Blessings,

              Bea and Dan Rost
            • salvarez
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 7, 2001
                Kolaches!!!

                The best place I know to get good Kolaches is my Moms house.
                Hee Hee

                I really don't know of any other place to go which has good
                Kolaches. Since and it is the truth, I just call up Mom.

                Posting from Work
                Steve

              • Bettye Bowerman
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 27, 2002
                  Hi all,
                  My husband lost his mom's kolache recipe. Would someone please share theirs
                  with us. Thanks in advance.

                  Bettye Looney Bowerman

                  Bethea, Rogers, Knighton, Sample, Looney
                  Hudson, Golden, Miller
                  Cochran, Covington, Malone, Pockrus
                  Prothro, Smith
                  Tupa, Brosch, Rybak
                  Bowerman, Coxie
                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 31 10:12 AM
                    All of this talk about kolaches is making me hungry for them and
                    there's still a month till Thanksgiving when my grandmother makes her
                    first batch of the holidays...I usually help her make them, too --
                    along with the other pastries (cheese and poppyseed rolls, fruit
                    rolls, etc.)

                    Matt
                  • Sara Ann Barton
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 11, 2012

                      Lukas Bakery 135 N. Main St. 979-968-3052 in on the square, across from the Courthouse, next to Colorado Valley Bank
                      Sara Barton

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013

                        I live in the best kolache town on earth – Ellinger.  My house is 1 minute away from Hruska’s Store and great kolaches.  Although many claim the recipe as theirs, I know it is my deceased brother-in-law’s Czech mother’s recipe.  So far, I  have calculated that each kolache I eat adds another pound to my frame.  So I can only indulge occasionally.

                        Life doesn’t get any better than this.

                        Rosemary

                      • R E Davis
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
                          Yes ma'am, you do!!!

                          Was your brother-in-law a Zaskoda? Because I have always said that
                          Hruska’s recipe was my adoptive mother's family recipe.
                        • R E Davis
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
                            Oops. That was meant for Rosemary Ermis, not the entire group.

                            Never hit Reply All. Never hit Reply All.

                            On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM, R E Davis <r.elise.d@...> wrote:
                            > Yes ma'am, you do!!!
                            >
                            > Was your brother-in-law a Zaskoda? Because I have always said that
                            > Hruska’s recipe was my adoptive mother's family recipe.
                          • Cindy Neal
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
                              I have to agree with Rosemary.  I was afraid they would lose something with the “new” bakery/store, but they’re every bit as good as ever Smile

                              Cindy

                              Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:44 AM

                              I live in the best kolache town on earth – Ellinger.  My house is 1 minute away from Hruska’s Store and great kolaches.  Although many claim the recipe as theirs, I know it is my deceased brother-in-law’s Czech mother’s recipe.  So far, I  have calculated that each kolache I eat adds another pound to my frame.  So I can only indulge occasionally.

                              Life doesn’t get any better than this.

                              Rosemary

                              No virus found in this message.

                            • Rosemary Ermis
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 11, 2013
                                Quite a few people claim the kolache recipe originated with their
                                grandmothers. Depends on who you ask in Ellinger.