Re: [TexasCzechs] Thanks and a Question (Ports of Entry)

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
      Scott,
      The Baca books are not exhaustive and Mr. Baca continues to publish new
      volumes as he completes additional research. He is currently at volume
      VIII (I believe).
      Your assumption that your immigrant ancestors arrived at a port on the
      Eastern Seaboard is quite probable. There were ports at Baltimore,
      Pennsylvania and Boston, as well as others. Volunteers continue to post
      additional web pages of ships passenger lists.
      A good source for information is the Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild:
      http://istg.rootsweb.com/
      http://istg.rootsweb.com/arrivals/
      http://members.tripod.com/~KHuish/ships.htm
      http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/amalfi/13/shipdf.htm
      and many more.......
      Just do a Web search for "passenger list" to access additional web sites
      for more on ships and their passengers.
      You could also search the National Archives at:
      http://search.nara.gov/ for more information related to ships lists,
      history of the various ports, etc. The microfilms they contain are the
      basis for most of the lists on the WWW.

      Sharing. It's What It's All About!
      Rick Garza
      http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/
      NameSearch: GARZA, ZATTLER, REYNA, FOSTER, SCHACHTNER, STOPFER,
      HOLLMAIER, VOGEL, VOGL, WEINZIERL, FINK . . . and more to come!

      On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:22:43 -0000 "Scott P" <splacek@...> writes:
      > Hello,

      > Now for my question: I am trying to find ports of entry, ships etc.
      > for my family. They arrived circa 1892. They settled in Milwaukee,
      > however they were originally bound for Nebraska but lost their
      > sponsors address and were befriended by a fellow Bohemian family in
      > the Milwaukee rail station. I deduce that they travelled from their
      > port of entry to Milwaukee headed to Nebraska. For that reason, I
      > doubt they entered in Galveston. Leo Baca's passenger lists for New
      > York in that time period don't have any entries that would
      > correspond. Are they exhaustive? What other ports of entry should
      > I be looking at?

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.