Thanks and a Question (Ports of Entry)

  • Scott P
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2000
      Hello,

      I am in Austin, Texas, although I am a "Texas Czech" only by way of
      moving here for school in 1989. I grew up in Georgia, not exactly a
      rich Czech Heritage area. After realizing that our entire family's
      history is being lost as my grandparents have passed on, I began
      researching and have made surprising progress given the total lack of
      knowledge in how to do it and lack of recollection from my father.

      This group has been very helpful as many of the problems people face
      and get help with are things I am struggling with (or anticipate
      struggling with) as I go along.

      Now for my question: I am trying to find ports of entry, ships etc.
      for my family. They arrived circa 1892. They settled in Milwaukee,
      however they were originally bound for Nebraska but lost their
      sponsors address and were befriended by a fellow Bohemian family in
      the Milwaukee rail station. I deduce that they travelled from their
      port of entry to Milwaukee headed to Nebraska. For that reason, I
      doubt they entered in Galveston. Leo Baca's passenger lists for New
      York in that time period don't have any entries that would
      correspond. Are they exhaustive? What other ports of entry should I
      be looking at?

      Thanks,
      Scott Placek

      Researching: PLACEK, KRSEK, FIALA, STODALA, CTIBOR (Stibor)
    • Richard Garza
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2000
        Scott,
        The Baca books are not exhaustive and Mr. Baca continues to publish new
        volumes as he completes additional research. He is currently at volume
        VIII (I believe).
        Your assumption that your immigrant ancestors arrived at a port on the
        Eastern Seaboard is quite probable. There were ports at Baltimore,
        Pennsylvania and Boston, as well as others. Volunteers continue to post
        additional web pages of ships passenger lists.
        A good source for information is the Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild:
        http://istg.rootsweb.com/
        http://istg.rootsweb.com/arrivals/
        http://members.tripod.com/~KHuish/ships.htm
        http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/amalfi/13/shipdf.htm
        and many more.......
        Just do a Web search for "passenger list" to access additional web sites
        for more on ships and their passengers.
        You could also search the National Archives at:
        http://search.nara.gov/ for more information related to ships lists,
        history of the various ports, etc. The microfilms they contain are the
        basis for most of the lists on the WWW.

        Sharing. It's What It's All About!
        Rick Garza
        http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/
        NameSearch: GARZA, ZATTLER, REYNA, FOSTER, SCHACHTNER, STOPFER,
        HOLLMAIER, VOGEL, VOGL, WEINZIERL, FINK . . . and more to come!

        On Sun, 03 Dec 2000 19:22:43 -0000 "Scott P" <splacek@...> writes:
        > Hello,

        > Now for my question: I am trying to find ports of entry, ships etc.
        > for my family. They arrived circa 1892. They settled in Milwaukee,
        > however they were originally bound for Nebraska but lost their
        > sponsors address and were befriended by a fellow Bohemian family in
        > the Milwaukee rail station. I deduce that they travelled from their
        > port of entry to Milwaukee headed to Nebraska. For that reason, I
        > doubt they entered in Galveston. Leo Baca's passenger lists for New
        > York in that time period don't have any entries that would
        > correspond. Are they exhaustive? What other ports of entry should
        > I be looking at?

        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.