Travel time in 1881-1884

  • Mrazoompa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Hello All,

      I have gr-gr-grandparent who supposedly immigrated in 1881 thru the Port of
      New York. They were married in 1880, according to 1900 Lavaca County Census.
      They had a daughter born in CZ in 1881 and their next child, a son, was born
      in 6/1884 in Lavaca County. I have immigration/naturalization papers for the
      gr-gr-grandfather which states the immigration yr as 1881. And as we all
      know.....he could have been wrong. (about the yr.) Here's my question:

      If he immigrated in 1881 how much time do you suppose it took to travel from
      New York to Lavaca County, Texas?

      Of course, I have checked Leo's books with no luck. I think my next record
      to check would be land records. I keep checking the Immigrant Ship
      Transcribers guild but this particular yr/ship has not been transcribed yet.

      Didn't they have to have, or were likely to have, a sponsor or other relative
      already in the US before they came?

      Thanks,

      Elizabeth MRAZ
      Houston, Texas
      Searching for my Ancestors and Family: GALLIA, GAST, MOTL, MRAZ, SCHUMANN,
      SEDLAK, STUDLAR, just to name a few....