Obituary for Robert L. Skrabanek

  • libarc2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 7:43 AM
      Robert, a member of CHS Brazos County chapter, was the author
      of "We're Czechs" published in 1988.

      Robert L. 'Bob' Skrabanek

      Nov. 18, 1918 - July 5, 2005

      Services for Robert L. "Bob" Skrabanek, 86, of College Station are
      set for 10 a.m. Friday at Memorial Funeral Chapel College Station.

      The Revs. Henry Beseda and Joseph Polasek will officiate. Burial
      will be at College Station Cemetery.

      Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.

      Mr. Skrabanek died Tuesday at St. Joseph Regional Health Center in
      Bryan.

      He was born in Snook and graduated from Caldwell High School in
      1935. He received a bachelor's degree in sociology in 1942 and a
      master's degree in 1947 from Texas A&M University and a doctorate
      from Louisiana State University in 1949. He served in the U.S. Navy
      four years, achieving the rank of lieutenant senior grade.

      He joined the faculty of Texas A&M University in 1949 and chaired
      the sociology program in the College of Agriculture. He was named
      Outstanding Professor in 1953 and head of the Department of
      Sociology and Anthropology in 1970. He received the Texas A&M
      Faculty Distinguished Achievement Teaching Award in 1955 and the
      same award for research in 1982. He served as a visiting professor
      at three U.S. universities and as demographic consultant in Ecuador,
      Colombia and the Dominican Republic. He authored more than 200
      publications, including books and articles in U.S. and international
      journals and magazines. He retired in 1984 and received awards for
      his 1988 book, We're Czechs.

      Mr. Skrabanek was a member of Bryan-College Station Brethren Church.
      He served as president of the Southwestern Sociological Association,
      the TAMU Chapter of Alpha Kappa Delta, the College Station Kiwanis
      Club and the Brazos County A&M Club.

      Survivors include his wife, Kathryn "Kitty" Skrabanek of College
      Station; a son and daughter-in-law, John and Terry Skrabanek of
      College Station; a daughter and son-in-law, Marian and Ray Schoppe
      of Lake Jackson; a sister, Clara Orsak of Snook; and four
      grandchildren.

      Memorials may be made to the Robert L. Skrabanek Scholarship Fund,
      Department of Sociology, 4351 TAMU, College Station, Texas 77843-
      4351; or Bryan-College Station Brethren Church, P.O. Box 9283,
      College Station, Texas 77842.
    • Richard Kotrla
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10 6:39 PM
        This is a great loss to the Czech and educational community.

        I have fond memories of Dr. Skrabanek.

        Dr. Skrabanek was my faculty advisor when I attended Texas A&M
        University and I also took two of his courses.

        We also shared a love for writing. However, he is a published
        author and my writings have appeared in area and state newspapers,
        but nothing more.

        Dr. Skrabanek and I shared the privilege of helping to start the
        College Station Brethren Church, and he was instrumental in helping
        us to obtain our meeting place, the local Presbyterian Church just a
        few blocks from campus.

        He was a brilliant scholar...and a good friend...

        Richard Kotrla
        LaMarque, TX

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "libarc2003" <libarc2003@y...>

      • Debbie Ondrasek
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 11 4:47 AM

          Hello, Richard,

          I didn’t know this about the College Station Church .  That is interesting.

          Debbie Ondrasek