Re: [TexasCzechs] Request for assistance - St. Mary's Cem.

  • George Patrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 25 1:48 PM
      Thanks for the suggestions.  I will give them a try.  I did speak with one of his relatives, robert Petrek, who lives in Rosebud, and, Uncle robert who is quite elderly remembered him and seemed to be a bit cautious when I got too nosey?  I suppose many things were kept real quiet when the reputation of the family was in question?  On the other hand, maybe there is a different story than the things  remember.  Maybe he just moved on down the road someplace?  I guess these little puzzles are what make genealogy fun.

      GeorgeI----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:31 PM
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Request for assistance - St. Mary's Cem.

              Since I have explored many of the cemeteries around Westphalia, especially those that are associated with churches, I will share my limited knowledge of the subject.
          I know that cemeteries exist where people who were not able to buried in the hallowed ground of a Catholic Cemetery were buried adjacent to, but outside the boundaries of the consecrated cemetery. To the best of my knowledge, however, there is no cemetery at Westphalia, other than St. Mary's.
          Have you tried the cemeteries at Seaton and the cemetery across the highway from Terry Chapel Lutheran Church?  Also, I know there is a cemetery in the Cyclone Community, other than the Catholic Cemetery. Another factor to consider is, since this is very near the Falls-Bell County line, you might try cemeteries in Bell County. Have you checked the Ocker Brethren and Seaton Brethren Cemeteries.
          My favorite source of information is obituaries. I know that many of the really old deaths were not listed in newspapers but if you have his death date, you might try the microfilmed records of the Temple Daily Telegram, the Rosebud News or the Marlin Democrat.  I know that the library in Temple has the microfilm rolls of the Temple Telegram. (If fact, they probably have some of the microfilm of some of these newspapers at the Sid Richardson Library at the ut campus there in Austin.)
          Hope you find him.

          Carroll Warschak
          Waco, Texas

      Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
    • CWarschak@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25 6:25 PM
            When I discover a challenge such as this it just makes me work harder to try and learn what really happened.  In addition to searching the obituaries I would search the local newspaper for an article about the incident.  The country newspapers were eager to have some news to print so it is possible that the incident actually happened it was reported in the newspaper.  The Rosebud News and the Temple Daily Telegram are the two most likely sources.  Of course, you need to know the date of his death but if you don't already have that information you can search the Falls County Records or the Texas Death Index (if he died after 1903).
            Good luck.