Re: [TexasCzechs] Requests

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2000
      In our family you serve a kolac whenever you have guests. You eat one or two for breakfast occasionally. Mom makes 10-12 dozen at a time and freezes them. Whenever she has a guest she pops them in the microwave for a couple of minutes and they are ready for the table. As far as tradition goes there was only one in our family. At Christmas Eve (in the olden days) you could eat no meat. So Christmas morning you had klobasniki for breakfast. We still carry on this tradition. We always celebrated the European way and opened our Christmas presents on Christmas Eve. First you went to church, then all the kids meet at mom's house. We eat supper together. We have dessert (this is to drive the small children crazy with anticipation), sit around a little bit and talk. Then we all kneel in front of the tree and say a prayer for the family that can't be there (either departed or just away on a trip) and then someone is appointed the present giver and off we go. I think this practice originated to show respect for Christ's birthday and not to have any present opening on that day. The children then go to bed. When we wake up we have grandma's sausage kolaches (klobasniki's), a cup of coffee and watch our children open their presents at home. Yes, we have become more Americanized in the 3rd generation and actually open present on Christmas day, but Christmas Eve tradition will continue on as far as meeting at mom's house. I think it just makes a family stronger to have traditions and I bet everyone on the lists has traditions like mine or very similar. We are all one big Czech family after all......Lois Petter Pereira

      Leroy & Charlene wrote:

      Hello, I am looking for some information on the History of the Kolacky.
      My daughter is doing a school report for her science class
      and she has to find information on the history of the Kolacky, how it
      was introduced  in the Czech culture and when it is served (ex
      Xmas or other holidays).

      If you know any history would you please email us.  I would appreciate
      it VERY MUCH!!

      r_mckibben@...

      Happy Holidays!

      Sondra

      Lois Petter Pereira
      Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser