Re: [TexasCzechs] Welcome, Austin Co.,Tx???

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2000
      Hi Darlene,
      Yes, welcome is a lovely spot in the road, just northeast of Industry,
      TX. The old German singers' dance hall has been moved down to Industry
      and restored. Available for family reunions. The Welcome Store, still in
      the same general vicinity of Welocme, received a Texas historical marker
      a few years ago. An amazing place because it's still an old-time store
      and everything is spotless and the produce nice and fresh. You can
      usually find some nice local dried sausage here.
      Of interest to you is the Coufal name. A recent newspaper article on the
      Coufal name relates to the 911 addressing system that Austin County is
      going through right now. Someone applied to change the name of Coufal
      Road to some non-Czech name. I thought that was sad. Then about a month
      or two later the court changed its mind and decided to retain the Coufal
      Road name (for now, at lease).
      I'll look and see if I kept that copy of the Bellville Times that talks
      about the road name change. But, there was no mention of which Coufal it
      was named after.
      Rick Garza

      On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 23:04:09 EST darlenbaker@... writes:
      > Hi all!
      >
      > Is there such a thing or was a such a place called Welcome ,TX. I
      > found that
      > great great gpa Frank(z) Coufal lived there in 1880.

      GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • darlenbaker@cs.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
        Thanks Rick!!

        Would be great if you could send me a copy!

        Darlene Baker

        Researching:
        Rokyta, Barton, Balusek, Melnar, Coufal, Dusek,Marek, Kotrla,Krizak, Krizek,
        Pustejovsky, Michna, Valchar, Machac, Trlica, Janus or Janous, Sugarek, &
        more.

        My Page:
        http://txhsh.homestead.com/home.html
        http://www.geocities.com/dbaker225/Welcome.html
      • kallina
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 25, 2000
          Welcome is located about 5 miles north of Industry, Texas on Farm Road 109 which
          goes north from Columbus, Texas to its intersection with Hwy 36 just south of
          Brenham, Texas. Hope this helps.