Re: [TexasCzechs] The Eagle, the Man, and the Lions

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2000
      On Fri, 5 May 2000 18:45:00 EDT SRektorik@... writes:

      > I am planning to start writing about the Joseph and Anna Svoboda
      > Hrncir family who immigrated to Texas prior to the Civil War.

      Susan,
      I'll put in my vote to start with the Joseph & Anna Story.

      Rick Garza

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • epereira@swbell.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2000
        I love your stories and I think you need to just keep writing period.
        Lois Petter Pereira

        SRektorik@... wrote:

        The story ended with Part 3.  This message contains some general information
        on this folk tale.  As I explained previously, this story was told to us, as
        children; however, I wanted to just point out several other aspects of the
        tale, although they might be obvious:

        1.   This story clearly was a way of telling of the hardship and oppression
        experienced     in the "Old Country."  It also allows those who are oppressed
        (or were) to tell of a  time when one of their kind was victorious against
        great odds.  It also clearly    establishes through the use of frequent
        repetition of the adjectives "good" and     "honest" who was on the honorable
        side.  The fact that a magical creature is  necessary to make the good man
        victorious is an indicator that the grip of the     oppressors was very tight
        indeed.

        2.  This story also follows the path of a "Resurrection Myth" as seen in many
        other   cultures.  Here we have, for all purposes, a man who is dead. When
        the good    man is sent to the great pit.  He is sent to his death.  There
        then comes the  intervention    of a godly spirit.  With the aid of this
        spirit, the man is reborn   through his escape  from the great pit.  With
        great detail, we even have the man  giving his flesh to be  eaten.  In truth,
        at this level, this is a highly sophisticated   myth.

        3.   In capturing this tale in writing, I have tried to retain some of the
        rhythms and     speech patterns used when it was told.  The written story
        will never have the     same affect as when a real storyteller uses his voice
        to greatly enhance the  "Swoosh...Swoosh...Swoosh!" of the wings of the great
        eagle and the great wind-   swallowing "Gu-lump!" of the eagle asking for the
        lion meat.  This story is best  when told in a quiet setting and with a great
        deal of sound effects being provided    by the storyteller including the
        "yeowls and snarls'' of the lions and the slashing  sound of the good man's
        knife.

            I suppose that, at the current time, this story would be considered to
        graphic and         gory to be told to children; however, I always listened
        intently, no matter how     many times I had heard it before...and I never
        had nightmares about this tale.

        I am planning to start writing about the Joseph and Anna Svoboda Hrncir
        family who immigrated to Texas prior to the Civil War.   I also need to
        capture the folk tale of "Spriritus" a wee man who takes on a wealthy
        nobleman in order to get food, clothing, and money for the oppressed
        peasants.  If any of you would rather read one or the other, please e-mail me
        back and let me know your preference.

        Susan Rektorik Henley

        Kdo chce s vlky býti, musí s vlky výti!
        "If you run with the wolves, you must howl with the wolves!"
        "Remember who your people are, keep and tell their stories."
        "Keep the fires of the culture alive!"

      • dhrna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2000
          It would be nice of all you could download your stories and send by snail
          mail or fax to Daniel Hrna: Czech Heritage Society of Texas-Harris County,
          Texas, Inc. for our archives. This information is archival interest and gives
          us a chance to share with others who are interested in family stories.

          Presently, we are working on presentation of Czechs who contributed to the
          Millennium and would like have a list of names and a short biography. This
          information is very important as we are preparing for Czech Heritage Month
          and Media Releases. that is why hard copy by snail mail is important.

          My snail mail is: 11920 Beechnut, Houston, Texas 77072, Phone: (281)
          564-9800, FAX: (281) 498-0851and e-mail is:dhrna@...

          We would like to have many participants in this project.

          Daniel Hrna
        • SRektorik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2000
            Dear Daniel,

            Thank you for expressing interest in my stories. I am more than willing to
            share them as paper copies with the Harris County Czech Heritage Society.

            The stories I have shared on the Texas Czech web site have been ones which
            attempt to capture what the lives of Texas Czechs were like. These I can
            forward as is. As far as Texas Czech and their contributions, I am sure I
            can obtain permission to Mr. Jo Charba to submit a copy of his autobiography.
            Already prepared, I have the life history of my father, Julius Rektorik,
            which I researched and wrote when the Robstown Historical Commission honored
            him as a life time citizen with a strong history of civil service. It is my
            hope that this biography will be included as my Dad was one of the first
            children of Texas Czech settlers who attended college, taught in a public
            school system and was involved in the State Guard during World War II as an
            air raid warden, coast watch for enemy planes and U-boats, and in many other
            local civic organizations. I have not published his story on the Texas Czech
            site for my dad was born in 1913 and is so much younger than the ones of
            which I currently write. However, his contributions are noteworthy.

            I am also the great-granddaughter of Tom Mrazek who designed, engineered, and
            manufactured the Mrazek Grubbing Plow which allowed the area around Corpus
            Christi to be cleared of the "running mesquite" and put into cultivation when
            commercially available plows were not up to task. His plow cleared the
            roadway for the first highway between Robstown and Corpus Christi. He is
            noted in many references on Nueces County and Robstown. He also designed,
            manufactured the parts for and built a steam-powered cotton gin in Williamson
            County, Texas. Tom Mrazek was a Czech Texan worthy of mention in the history
            books. I have been gathering information, photos and references on him for
            several years. Because of his gifts and the practical application of his
            genius, it is taking me a while to determine how best to capture him in
            writing. Your project would give me impetus. Please let me know when Czech
            Heritage Month is and I will pull together not only a biography but photos of
            his Williamson County cotton gin, the Mrazek Grubbing Plow Factory in
            Robstown, and a photo of the plow as well as a photo of the Mrazek homestead
            here in Robstown. The significance of this man, Tom Mrazek, can be found in
            the articles in both the Nueces County Historical Commission Bulletin, the
            Robstown Record which is the local paper, as well as books on Williamson
            County and the Czechs in Nueces County. I would love to do this and I would
            appreciate having an outlet so that I can have a product which is shared with
            a sizable audience. There is not a large audience which I have found which
            will understand and appreciate the stories which I tell.

            Please let me know if you are interested in the Tom Mrazek Profile and when
            Czech History Month is. I will pull together a nifty and informative
            package. I will also edit and send hard copies of the stories which I have
            already published on the Texas Czechs web site.

            With Interest and Appreciatively,

            Susan Rektorik Henley