(Fwd) Greetings from Zadverice and Dr Jan Mikeska

  • nrussell@itctel.com
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2 7:19 PM
      I just returned from a dream trip to the Czech Rep. I
      was in the Czech Rep March 30 - April 14.
      It was my first trip. I was excorted around the country
      by my Lomica cousin from Zlin. One of many highlights
      for me was getting to Zadverice for church and looking
      at the records in the church office. I also spent and
      evening with Dr Jan Mikeska in Praha. He sends his
      greetings to everyone. Having never met him and not
      speaking Czech I was concerned if we would get
      together. My cousin didn't know this and as we were
      waiting I said I hoped I could find him he said " We went
      to school together and he and my sister were friends."
      Small world. Jan has been traveling with his job. The
      company he works for was recently sold and he was still
      without a contract with the new owners. He had been
      told not to worry and I am hoping by now that is taken
      care off. He promised a picture of the man's Kroie
      which they have been able to reconstruct. The women's
      is still a mystery. Someone told me they were working
      on Kroie's at the school. Jan talked about trying to get
      a database of families in the area. He and Jan Zetek (
      Zadverice 257) have been talking of putting grant
      together to fund this database. They were trying to
      decide how big an area to include. It would hopefully
      help us with the chances in house numbers. He agree
      with the work that Karl Kysilka had done on my Lomica
      lines. We feel that my Jacob is the 4th Mikeska
      brother. We talked of maybe getting all the familes
      together in one datatbase. He also told me that the
      good Texas Barbecue that the Mikeksa serve came from
      Zadverice. We also located a book on the history of
      fires and water in Zadverice. My cousin has the book
      but Jan Zetek sent us to the fire department to buy it. I
      have Jan address if anyone is interested. He does not
      speak English. If anyone in interested in more details let
      me know. The Czech peaple were fantastic. I spent
      time in the Sobeslav, Dusejov/Opatov/Havlicku Brod
      area. I talked to over a 75 cousins and was given or
      2000 pages of documents of histories of families. Does
      anyone feel like helping me translate it?
      Nancy Russell Anderson

      ------- End of forwarded message -------Nancy Russell
      Anderson from SD
      http://www.itctel.com/~nrussell/
    • Diann Biltz
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3 11:17 AM
        If you are in contact with Dr Jan Mikeska - it would be helpful if he included
        Zelechovice in his research also. There are many family names common between
        the two towns and they are not so far from each other . I am researching
        Vavrusa and they come from both towns and probably are related way back per
        Karel Kysilks who did the research in Zelechovice and Zadverice for me. I have
        a paper he did on both of these currently unrelated families, Vavrusa. Please
        let me know if there is interest here and I can email the paper.

        Diann Biltz
        researching Vavrusa, Bobal. Shimek, Svarc Krupicka in CR

      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3 1:25 PM
          Diann,

          Butting in  somewhat as your message was to Nancy Russell.  Dr. Jan research is on the Mikeska name he has been researching over 30 years now, beginning with Petr Mikeska (b. 1630-1640) and wife Khunta.  Jan is up with the professional genealogist but genealogy is actually a hobby with him.  His regular work prevents him from full time genealogy research.

          Jan and Karl are friends.  Karl advised me of the Czech Heritage Society, and caught my name by Nancy Russell and I messaging in 1998 regarding Mikeska/Lomica names..  So I really consider Karl a good fried of mine, too.

          Diann Biltz <diannbiltz@...> wrote:
          If you are in contact with Dr Jan Mikeska - it would be helpful if he included
          Zelechovice in his research also. There are many family names common between
          the two towns and they are not so far from each other . I am researching
          Vavrusa and they come from both towns and probably are related way back per
          Karel Kysilks who did the research in Zelechovice and Zadverice for me. I have
          a paper he did on both of these currently unrelated families, Vavrusa. Please
          let me know if there is interest here and I can email the paper.

          Diann Biltz
          researching Vavrusa, Bobal. Shimek, Svarc Krupicka in CR

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
        • Diann Biltz

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 1, 2014

              Does anyone know how to reach Dr. Jan Mikeska?  He and his wife spent some time at my home in San Antonio during their visit to Texas years ago.  I loss track of them.

              Nancy Sugarke

            • Paula Foster
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2014
                I have not talked to Sir John in awhile, but he would be the one the get in touch with.  paulasmaggie
              • lloydehargrove
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2014

                  Since I have some Mikeska's in my own family, I did a quick search on Ancestry.com under "Jan Mikeska" and it popped up all sorts of things including Mikeska Family Tree.  Apparently you could message Jan from there and see what happens.