Granger Church

  • Richard A Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
      I inherited this photo and do not know the name of the church nor do I recognize anyone in the photo.  In the corner of the photo is written "June 6, 1938  Granger  Tex".  Can anyone identify the church or anyone in the photo?
    • Richard A Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
        Sorry, my last post was missing the photo.  I will try again.

      • Nbmachu@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
          That is the Granger Brethren Church.  In 1938 it was known as the Czech Moravian Brethren Church. A number of the folks are recognizable.......Darwin Machu and Pat Hejl can probably identify them.
          Nancy
        • Richard A Smith
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
            Thanks Nancy.  I hope they will see the photo and respond.

          • dlmachu1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
              I could not identify too many of the people. I think the man kneeling next to the cedar tree is Rev Joseph Barton Jr. The ministers are, the first one on the left is I am thinking Rev Beseda, then Rev Joseph Hegar, Then Rev Joseph Barton Sr, Rev Kostohryz. Kneeling on the front row are  Joe Huser, Joe Mikulencak Frank Martinets, and Frank Labaj, standing next to Frank Labaj is Henry Labaj. I could not enlarge the picture so the rest of the people are hard to identify. You can barely see my  my daddy , Anton Machu in about the middle of the picture on the right so I am sure that one of the little boys on the right is me but I do not know for sure.
                                         Darwin Machu
            • Dolores Miller
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
                The picturte of the church didnot come thru.  I'm sure I would know some of the people since I lived in Granger and a lot of my friends attended the Czech Moravian Brethren Church. Rev. Joe Barton was the pastor for a long time.,  He was a very courtly gentleman, loved by the whole community.  I attended the catholic church on the corner of Davilla, one block over.
                Dolores Miller

                Nbmachu@... wrote:
                That is the Granger Brethren Church.  In 1938 it was known as the Czech Moravian Brethren Church. A number of the folks are recognizable.......Darwin Machu and Pat Hejl can probably identify them.
                Nancy

                http://mail.yahoo.com

              • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
                  Can you re-post the photo?  For some reason it didn't come through the first time.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 29, 2005
                    My grandmother was active in the church at this time, and I'm hoping she is in the picture, but it didn't come through so I haven't seen it yet.

                    Joe Don Kotrla-Chipps

                    Dolores Miller wrote:
                    The picturte of the church didnot come thru.  I'm sure I would know some of the people since I lived in Granger and a lot of my friends attended the Czech Moravian Brethren Church. Rev. Joe Barton was the pastor for a long time.,  He was a very courtly gentleman, loved by the whole community.  I attended the catholic church on the corner of Davilla, one block over.
                    Dolores Miller

                  • Frances Barton
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2005
                      I agree with Darwin's identifications below. I can add this: The woman in the black dress behind and to the left of Rev. Hegar is I'm pretty sure Mary (Mikulencak) Hegar, his wife. In Czech her name was "Marie." The woman directly to her right, in the grey dress, is her sister (and my grandmother) Albina (Mikulencak) Barton, Rev. Barton's wife. It can be confusing but I'll point out that the elder Rev. Barton, Joseph, spelled his name with the "ph." I guess that's German. The younger Rev. Barton, his son, insisted on the Czech spelling, or at least what I understand is the Czech spelling: "Josef." Joseph had no middle name; Josef's middle name was Adolf but he always went by Josef. A. Barton.

                      Thanks for posting the photo. I don't remember ever seeing this one.

                      Frances Barton