Re: El Campo - Attn: Matt

  • rebellous_99
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
      No, I have not talked with Tracy Demel. Do you have her site's
      address?

      Matt

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Gerri Martisek <gerri@g...> wrote:
      > Matt,
      >
      > Have you ever talked to Tracy Demel (Clear Lake) about your
      Stavinoha
      > connection? There are quite a few Stavinoha's, but I can't seem to
      find
      > the connection to mine. She has done quite a bit of research on
      her side.

      > Gerri
      >
      > rebellous_99 wrote:
      > >
      > > TJ,
      > >
      > > Did you happen to know any Riha, Kresta, Kurtz, Machart, Derrich,
      or
      > > Stavinoha in the El Campo and Wharton areas while you were living
      > > there? If so, some of those are my paternal grandmother's family.
      > >
      > > Matt
      > >
      > > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "TJSlansky" <tjslansky@s...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Rene,
      > > >
      > > > You mentioned you were unable to find the death information
      for a
      > > Marek family who are buried in Nada cemetery. Also wondering if a
      > > newspaper had information for Nada.
      > > >
      > > > Nada is on the county line of Colorado and Wharton Counties.
      You
      > > might look in Wharton county.
      > > >
      > > > Web site for the Nada Cemetary.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/cemeteries/stmarycem.htm
      > > >
      > > > When I was in school in El Campo several persons had a Nada
      > > address. Second, I worked after school for the El Campo News and
      > > later the Leader, which had a Nada page. The both papers were
      weekly
      > > and than twice a week. The two papers combine in about '59.
      > > >
      > > > One of the jobs I had at the News was to stamp address the
      names. I
      > > had to address the Nada group first to meet the mail truck before
      4
      > > PM otherwise it would not be delivered till the following day.
      > > >
      > > > Many people do not know the Czech newspaper "Svoboda" that was
      > > first published in La Grange was later published in El Campo from
      the
      > > mid '30 to late '60's. I remember the editor well as he lived a
      > > block from me when I was small boy. The gentleman was still
      writing
      > > when I was a senior in highschool in '56 when I went to worked for
      > > the Leader. Putting the sections together.
      > > >
      > > > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
      > > formed the Leader newspaper. The Svoboda remained a separate
      paper
      > > for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-
      News.

      > > > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
      > > newspaper the "Citizen' at the El Campo Public Library. There
      is no
      > > film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
      > > News.
      > > >
      > > > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
      > > Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
      > > Austin.
      > > >
      > > > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this might help.
      > > >
      > > > TJ
      > > > San Antonio, TX

      subject=Unsubscribe>

    • Dolores Miller
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2005
        There was a Stavinoha family that lived on a farm off Highway 95 just south of Granger. Can't remember any first names.  Also there is a Dr. Stavinoha in the Dallas area, he may be connected to the Southwestern Medical School in Dallas.
        Dolores Miller

        rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:

> [...]

        > >  > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
        > > formed the Leader newspaper.  The Svoboda remained a separate
        paper
        > > for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-
        News.
        > >  >
        > >  > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
        > > newspaper the "Citizen' at  the El Campo Public Library.  There
        is no
        > > film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
        > > News.
        > >  >
        > >  > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
        > > Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
        > > Austin.
        > >  >
        > >  > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        > >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
        > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        Yahoo! Messenger

      • Edward Kadlecek
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2005
          I went to School in Houston with a Jerome Stavinoha (mid 1940s thru high
          school) His records might be available through All Saints Church or St.
          Thomas High School.

          There is also a Maxine (Staninoha) Sefcik in West, Texas that you might be
          able to locate through the WestFest there. She does the Czech area every
          year at the WestFest (Which, by the way, my Band will be playing for on
          Saturday Sep. 03 from noon to 4 pm)

          Ed Kadlecek

        • Debra Zwahr
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 10, 2005
            The Social Security Death Index will give you his LAST KNOWN RESIDENCE which
            does have anything to do with what county his death occurred in. You need
            the Texas Death Records at Rootsweb.com, when the home page comes up click
            on the tab for searchs, then look 1/3 of the way down the page to where it
            lists about 4 or 5 states, Texas is the last one mentioned. Click on it. I
            forget the years you can look at but I believe it is 1964 through 2002.
            Enter his last name at least and the year of death. Up pops all the people
            with that last name. I search like that if Edward could have gone by Ed,
            Edw., Eddie, Eddy or Frank, Francis or by just an initial. I could not
            locate where one of my uncles died for almost 2 years until I found this
            site.

            Edward Frank Marek 24 Jan 1944 Male Bexar Edward J Marek
            Isabele Glomb
            Child Date of Birth Sex County
            Father Mother
            I could not find his death record in Texas. His birth information was on
            Ancestry.com, Texas Births 1903-1997, which is a pay site. If this is not
            the correct Edward Frank Marek e-mail me back [ at davidzwahr@... ]
            with his correct date of Birth and if it was in Texas after 1903 I can still
            look it up for you but I may only get the fathers name. The further back
            you go before 1926 to 1903 the mothers name appear less.