RE: [TexasCzechs] Edward Frank Marek

  • JAMES.ERDELT@MED.VA.GOV
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
      You might try the El Campo Leader-News,  I have several grandparents buried in the Nada  and New Taiton area.
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
        Rene,

        You mentioned you were unable to find the death information for a Marek family who are buried in Nada cemetery.  Also wondering if a newspaper had  information for Nada.

        Nada is on the county line of Colorado and Wharton Counties. You might look in Wharton county.

        When I was in school in El Campo several persons had a Nada address. Second, I worked after school for the El Campo News and later the Leader, which had a Nada page. The both papers were weekly and than twice a week. The two papers combine in about '59.

        One of the jobs I had at the News was to stamp address the names. I had to address the Nada group first to meet the mail truck before 4 PM otherwise it would not be delivered till the following day.

        Many people do not know the Czech newspaper "Svoboda"  that was first published in La Grange was later published in El Campo from the mid '30 to late '60's. I remember the editor well as he lived a block from me when I was small boy. The gentleman was still writing when I was a senior in highschool in '56 when I went to worked for the Leader. Putting the sections together.

        A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late formed the Leader newspaper.  The Svoboda remained a separate paper for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-News.

        You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another newspaper the "Citizen' at  the El Campo Public Library.  There is no film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-News.

        I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in Austin.

        I know the date might be a much earlier time period.

        Hope this might help.

        TJ
        San Antonio, TX

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
          He is living in Precinct 8 of Colorado County, TX, in 1930.

          Matt

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Rene <polczech@c...> wrote:
          > Thanks, Cindy:
          >
          > All the info you included I already have and have run out of where
          > to look next to find his birth parents. I tried getting a copy of
          > his death certificate but it is not in Colorado County so I will have
          > to try else where. He may have died in one of the surrounding
          > counties. Is there a newspaper that covers the Nada area that might
          > be available in a library to check for obits? Any suggestions would
          > be appreciated.
          >
          > Irene Szwarc
          > Searching: Polansky, Kupka, Konarik, Marek, Sovjak, Janda, Marek,
          Jakel
        • Gerri Martisek
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
            Matt,

            Have you ever talked to Tracy Demel (Clear Lake) about your Stavinoha
            connection? There are quite a few Stavinoha's, but I can't seem to find
            the connection to mine. She has done quite a bit of research on her side.

            Gerri

            rebellous_99 wrote:

            > TJ,
            >
            > Did you happen to know any Riha, Kresta, Kurtz, Machart, Derrich, or
            > Stavinoha in the El Campo and Wharton areas while you were living
            > there? If so, some of those are my paternal grandmother's family.
            >
            > Matt
            >
            > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "TJSlansky" <tjslansky@s...>
            > wrote:
            > > Rene,
            > >
            > > You mentioned you were unable to find the death information for a
            > Marek family who are buried in Nada cemetery. Also wondering if a
            > newspaper had information for Nada.
            > >
            > > Nada is on the county line of Colorado and Wharton Counties. You
            > might look in Wharton county.
            > >
            > > Web site for the Nada Cemetary.
            > >
            > > http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/cemeteries/stmarycem.htm
            > >
            > > When I was in school in El Campo several persons had a Nada
            > address. Second, I worked after school for the El Campo News and
            > later the Leader, which had a Nada page. The both papers were weekly
            > and than twice a week. The two papers combine in about '59.
            > >
            > > One of the jobs I had at the News was to stamp address the names. I
            > had to address the Nada group first to meet the mail truck before 4
            > PM otherwise it would not be delivered till the following day.
            > >
            > > Many people do not know the Czech newspaper "Svoboda" that was
            > first published in La Grange was later published in El Campo from the
            > mid '30 to late '60's. I remember the editor well as he lived a
            > block from me when I was small boy. The gentleman was still writing
            > when I was a senior in highschool in '56 when I went to worked for
            > the Leader. Putting the sections together.
            > >
            > > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
            > formed the Leader newspaper. The Svoboda remained a separate paper
            > for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-News.
            > >
            > > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
            > newspaper the "Citizen' at the El Campo Public Library. There is no
            > film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
            > News.
            > >
            > > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
            > Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
            > Austin.
            > >
            > > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.
            > >
            > > Hope this might help.
            > >
            > > TJ
            > > San Antonio, TX

          • rebellous_99
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005

              wrote:
              > Rene,
              >
              > You mentioned you were unable to find the death information for a
              Marek family who are buried in Nada cemetery. Also wondering if a
              newspaper had information for Nada.

              > Nada is on the county line of Colorado and Wharton Counties. You
              might look in Wharton county.

              > Web site for the Nada Cemetary.
              >
              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/cemeteries/stmarycem.htm
              >
              > When I was in school in El Campo several persons had a Nada
              address. Second, I worked after school for the El Campo News and
              later the Leader, which had a Nada page. The both papers were weekly
              and than twice a week. The two papers combine in about '59.

              > One of the jobs I had at the News was to stamp address the names. I
              had to address the Nada group first to meet the mail truck before 4
              PM otherwise it would not be delivered till the following day.

              > Many people do not know the Czech newspaper "Svoboda" that was
              first published in La Grange was later published in El Campo from the
              mid '30 to late '60's. I remember the editor well as he lived a
              block from me when I was small boy. The gentleman was still writing
              when I was a senior in highschool in '56 when I went to worked for
              the Leader. Putting the sections together.

              > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
              formed the Leader newspaper. The Svoboda remained a separate paper
              for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-News.

              > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
              newspaper the "Citizen' at the El Campo Public Library. There is no
              film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
              News.

              > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
              Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
              Austin.

              > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.
              >
              > Hope this might help.
              >
              > TJ
              > San Antonio, TX

            • Harvey Stavinoha Jr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                My name is Harvey J. Stavinoha Jr.
                My family is from Schulenberg. My mom is a Popp from Nada. I know quite a few from Rosenberg and Houston.

                rebellous_99 wrote:

                > TJ,
                >
                > Did you happen to know any Riha, Kresta, Kurtz, Machart, Derrich, or
                > Stavinoha in the El Campo and Wharton areas while you were living
                > there?  If so, some of those are my paternal grandmother's family.
                >
                > Matt
                >
                > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "TJSlansky" <tjslansky@s...>
                > wrote:
                >  > Rene,
                >  >
                >  > You mentioned you were unable to find the death information for a
                > Marek family who are buried in Nada cemetery.  Also wondering if a
                > newspaper had  information for Nada.
                >  >
                >  > Nada is on the county line of Colorado and Wharton Counties. You
                > might look in Wharton county.
                >  >
                >  > Web site for the Nada Cemetary.
                >  >
                >  > http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/cemeteries/stmarycem.htm
                >  >
                >  > When I was in school in El Campo several persons had a Nada
                > address. Second, I worked after school for the El Campo News and
                > later the Leader, which had a Nada page. The both papers were weekly
                > and than twice a week. The two papers combine in about '59.
                >  >
                >  > One of the jobs I had at the News was to stamp address the names. I
                > had to address the Nada group first to meet the mail truck before 4
                > PM otherwise it would not be delivered till the following day.
                >  >
                >  > Many people do not know the Czech newspaper "Svoboda"  that was
                > first published in La Grange was later published in El Campo from the
                > mid '30 to late '60's. I remember the  editor well as he lived a
                > block from me when I was small boy. The gentleman was still writing
                > when I was a senior in highschool in '56 when I went to worked for
                > the Leader. Putting the sections together.
                >  >
                >  > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
                > formed the Leader newspaper.  The Svoboda remained a separate paper
                > for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-News.
                >  >
                >  > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
                > newspaper the "Citizen' at  the El Campo Public Library.  There is no
                > film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
                > News.
                >  >
                >  > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
                > Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
                > Austin.
                >  >
                >  > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.
                >  >
                >  > Hope this might help.
                >  >
                >  > TJ
                >  > San Antonio, TX

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Virginia Willmann
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Death certificates for Colorado Co and probably all of TX are available in Austin, someone on the list will know how to contact vital recorss.
                  Virginia

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                    Matt,

                    The only two persons I attended school were a William Kresta and a Mildred Machart and they were a grade ahead of me. The names were more common to the Louise school. The persons about a mile west of El Campo when to Louise.  The persons living about three miles east of El Campo went to Wharton.

                    But, the ones from north and south to the county line went to El Campo at the time in '57. The persons who went to Crescent  came in the late '60's to El Campo. In the mid '70's, the persons from Glen Flora came to El Campo.

                    In this area you found many Czech farmers.

                    Checking the high school annuals there are over third persons listed with a Czech surname and others had a mother who was Czech.

                    TJ

                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 1, 2005
                      No, I have not talked with Tracy Demel. Do you have her site's
                      address?

                      Matt

                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                    • Dolores Miller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 2, 2005
                        There was a Stavinoha family that lived on a farm off Highway 95 just south of Granger. Can't remember any first names.  Also there is a Dr. Stavinoha in the Dallas area, he may be connected to the Southwestern Medical School in Dallas.
                        Dolores Miller

                        rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:

> [...]

                        > >  > A local person purchased the Svoboda in the mid '50's and late
                        > > formed the Leader newspaper.  The Svoboda remained a separate
                        paper
                        > > for several years, than became a part of section in the Leader-
                        News.
                        > >  >
                        > >  > You can find microfilm of both the News and Leader and another
                        > > newspaper the "Citizen' at  the El Campo Public Library.  There
                        is no
                        > > film for the Svoboda, except when it was a section of the Leader-
                        > > News.
                        > >  >
                        > >  > I understand there are some dates of microfilm of the El
                        > > Campo "Svoboda" for a period of the '40-50 in the state library in
                        > > Austin.
                        > >  >
                        > >  > I know the date might be a much earlier time period.

                        subject=Unsubscribe>

                        > >     * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                        > >       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                        Yahoo! Messenger

                      • Edward Kadlecek
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2005
                          I went to School in Houston with a Jerome Stavinoha (mid 1940s thru high
                          school) His records might be available through All Saints Church or St.
                          Thomas High School.

                          There is also a Maxine (Staninoha) Sefcik in West, Texas that you might be
                          able to locate through the WestFest there. She does the Czech area every
                          year at the WestFest (Which, by the way, my Band will be playing for on
                          Saturday Sep. 03 from noon to 4 pm)

                          Ed Kadlecek

                        • Debra Zwahr
                          Message 12 of 14 , Aug 10, 2005
                            The Social Security Death Index will give you his LAST KNOWN RESIDENCE which
                            does have anything to do with what county his death occurred in. You need
                            the Texas Death Records at Rootsweb.com, when the home page comes up click
                            on the tab for searchs, then look 1/3 of the way down the page to where it
                            lists about 4 or 5 states, Texas is the last one mentioned. Click on it. I
                            forget the years you can look at but I believe it is 1964 through 2002.
                            Enter his last name at least and the year of death. Up pops all the people
                            with that last name. I search like that if Edward could have gone by Ed,
                            Edw., Eddie, Eddy or Frank, Francis or by just an initial. I could not
                            locate where one of my uncles died for almost 2 years until I found this
                            site.

                            Edward Frank Marek 24 Jan 1944 Male Bexar Edward J Marek
                            Isabele Glomb
                            Child Date of Birth Sex County
                            Father Mother
                            I could not find his death record in Texas. His birth information was on
                            Ancestry.com, Texas Births 1903-1997, which is a pay site. If this is not
                            the correct Edward Frank Marek e-mail me back [ at davidzwahr@... ]
                            with his correct date of Birth and if it was in Texas after 1903 I can still
                            look it up for you but I may only get the fathers name. The further back
                            you go before 1926 to 1903 the mothers name appear less.