Re: Fw: [TexasCzechs] Digest Number 2049

  • Richard Kotrla
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 6, 2005
      Kathy:

      Thanks for sharing your wonderful heritage as a Czech educator...

      Out of 335 student high school, there is one Czech student...a
      Krenek...go figure...

      Richard

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Russell & Kathy Smith"
      <rasmith@o...> wrote:
      > Richard wrote:
      > Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 05:46:20 -0000
      > From: "Richard Kotrla" <rkotrla@s...>
      > Subject: Re: Czech Educators
      >

      > To my fellow listers:
      >
      > Please continue to share stories and photos of Czech educators,
      past and
      > present. I along with others have enjoyed reading them. As
      previously
      > stated, Czech educators made an influence on my life, and those
      who believed
      > in education. My father's formal education ended at the 8th
      grade. My
      > mother went on to graduate from high school, but no
      further...However, to us
      > five kids, they went to great lengths to stress the importance of
      education.
      > All of us gradsuated from high school, two of us have college
      degrees...I
      > would like to believe that Czech educators, past and present,
      bring their
      > values and culture into the classroom. I display a Czech flag in
      mine as
      > point of curiosity. It's amazing at the first of the year what
      country the
      > students think the flag represents...they never guess
      Czechoslovakia...

      > Richard Kotrla
      >
      > Education has always been important in our family. I now teach at
      Tarleton
      > State University in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction.
      I am a
      > third generation Czech educator. My grandmother (Kate Horak)
      taught music
      > and voice, my grandfather (I've submitted the pictures) taught
      summer school
      > to Czech children, my father, though a minister most of his life,
      held his
      > teacher certification in the state of Texas. Three of the four
      children in
      > my family hold teacher certificates in the state of Texas.
      Whenever I have a