Re: [TexasCzechs] Virus Alert

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2000
      = SERIOUS VIRUS ALERT =

      Lois posted the Virus Alert of I Love you message going around.  I privately posted Lois if she has checked to see if this was a hoax or not, as many are.
      I was going to the url that reports true, or hoaxes, virus reports.  I use MSN and attached message about the virus.  Got to Http://www.MSN.com and click on I Love You link posted on the front page for details of this virus.  This virus has shut down many many business in Europe and England this morning and as virus companys TRYING to find out how to stop it!

      Trying to stay out of Hot Water :-), must give cretit to MSN for this copy of their material.   I just happen to have MSN as my home page, and do not endorse, recommend or suggest in any way you should use MNS.   Sir John

      Well, appears the complete story was saved.  I;ve tried to edit ouit much of the HTML code.  Sir John.
                  Love virus infects e-mail systems

                          Highly communicable computer virus spreads around the globe, deleting images, music files

                        The 'Love' virus is sent through e-mail messages that claim to
                        be electronic love letters.

                  By Bob Sullivan
                  MSNBC

               May 4 ,  A new computer virus called 'I LOVE YOU' went on a worldwide
            rampage Thursday, shutting down e-mail servers and deleting files.
            Researchers say the virus is spreading faster than the infamous Melissa
            virus, which brought companies to a standstill last year. But 'love'
            already has had much more devastating effects  It has even managed to
            shut down financial networks and cash machines in some parts of the world

                   THE STATISTICS ARE STAGGERING. Nearly 30 percent of businesses in
            Great Britain, and nearly 80 percent in Sweden, have been infected by the
            virus, according to anti-virus research firm Network Associates. In fact,
            the company says, ATM cash machines in Beligium were knocked offline
            thanks to the deluge of e-mail traffic created by the virus.
                   This is the worst I've ever seen in my nine years in the
            business, said Mikko Hypponen, manager of anti-virus research at F-Secure
            Corp. We actually don't know why it's so widespread, why it's spreading
            so fast.
                   For example, one European magazine has lost its photograph archive,
            and the U.K.'s House of Commons closed down its e-mail systems temporarily
            over concerns about the virus.
                   The virus targets users of Microsoft Outlook and only works under
            the Windows operating system. (Microsoft is a partner in MSNBC.)
                   Internet users are advised to update their virus scanning software
            as soon as possible. But throughout the day, anti-virus Web pages have
            been swamped with traffic and largely unreadable. So for now, the best bet
            is to avoid opening attachments entirely.
                   Researchers say the technology that spreads the virus is no smarter
            than that of previous viruses, leaving them a bit baffled over
            LoveLetter's worldwide rapage. One possible reason  victims can't resist
            opening an attachment that claims to be a love letter.

                    = = = = cut == = =

                   Have you received an e-mail message with the 'ILOVEYOU' attachment?

                  Yes
                   62%

                  No
                   38%

                  Survey results tallied every
                      60 seconds. Live Votes
                      reflect respondents' views
                       and are not scientifically
                       valid surveys.
      OTHER VICTIMS
                   Many European computer systems shut down e-mail servers Thursday.
            Britain's House of Commons was the latest U.K. organization to succumb to
            the virus. The lower House of Commons shut down its e-mail system for
            about two hours to safeguard against the virus

                   Britain's Consumers Association and a major anti-virus firm said
            they also had been bombarded by calls from businesses whose e-mail servers
            had been hit by a blizzard of messages.
                   British Internet service provider Freeserve said it had set up a
            filter to screen out any e-mails with the words 'I love you.