Czech Educators

  • Nbmachu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21 9:29 PM
      The first person who comes to my mind when thinking about Czech Educators is Naomi Hunka Paseman. She is full blooded Czech, the daughter of Julius Hunka and Lillie Dusek.  She taught school in Taylor until her retirement.  She is remembered as a high school counselor.  She was honored with an elementary school being named for her:
      Naomi Paseman Elementary School in Taylor.
      Nancy Machu
    • Russell & Kathy Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28 9:43 PM
        I've attached a picture of my grandfather (Rev. Frank Henry Horak, Sr. (the
        teacher back center) with his students who were enrolled in "Czech School"
        during the summer. It is believed that these pictures were taken in the
        Granger area. Notice the dates on the slates front and center. I will send
        a few of these pictures. If anyone can identify any of these children,
        please let me know. Thanks!
      • Russell & Kathy Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28 9:48 PM
          This is the second and last photo tonight. I will send more tomorrow. I do
          believe the girl on the back row far right is a Mikulencak girl. My
          grandfather is the blonde male in the center-back. Notice his hat in the
          tree.
        • Russell & Kathy Smith
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
            Here is another picture.
          • Russell & Kathy Smith
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
              Czech School 1914.
            • Russell & Kathy Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
                1916 - This picture includes my grandfather (center) and Rev Joseph Barton
                (senior) holding the younger Rev Joseph Barton on the back row far left.
              • Dolores Miller
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
                  The picture did not come thru.  I am anxious to see it as I knew both Rev. Joseph Bartons in Granger.  Dolores Miller

                  Russell & Kathy Smith <rasmith@...> wrote:
                  1916 - This picture includes my grandfather (center) and Rev Joseph Barton
                  (senior) holding the younger Rev Joseph Barton on the back row far left.

                  > ATTACHMENT part 2 image/jpeg name=1916CzechSchool.jpg

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                • Richard Kotrla
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2005
                    To my fellow listers:

                    Please continue to share stories and photos of Czech educators, past
                    and present. I along with others have enjoyed reading them. As
                    previously stated, Czech educators made an influence on my life, and
                    those who believed in education. My father's formal education ended
                    at the 8th grade. My mother went on to graduate from high school,
                    but no further...However, to us five kids, they went to great
                    lengths to stress the importance of education. All of us gradsuated
                    from high school, two of us have college degrees...I would like to
                    believe that Czech educators, past and present, bring their values
                    and culture into the classroom. I display a Czech flag in mine as
                    point of curiosity. It's amazing at the first of the year what
                    country the students think the flag represents...they never guess
                    Czechoslovakia...

                    Richard Kotrla

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Russell & Kathy Smith"
                    <rasmith@o...> wrote:
                    > Czech School 1914.
                  • Richard Kotrla
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2005
                      Kathy:

                      They say picture is worht a thousand words...

                      Thanks for sharing these great photos.

                      <rasmith@o...> wrote:
                      > Here is another picture.
                    • Dolores Miller
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 28, 2005
                        Some time ago there was some discussion of Texas Czech Educators.  I wrote that William Malish taught at Granger High School and that his younger brother, Alvis, was a star football player for the Granger Lions.  I also mentioned that Alvis had passed away recently (back then it would have been Dec. 2004.)  William Malish's granddaughter responded that Alvis was very much alive.  I wrote back that my best friend, Betty Stasny Gayle had told me about Alvis' death.  Wm. Malish's granddaughter wrote back for Betty's address and phone no.  This I sent thru the group.  I had a call last night from Tanya Conner whose grandmother was Lydia Volney and Lydia had been a sister of Wm. Malish's mother.  The point of this is, I didnot keep the granddaughter's e-mail address and don't remember her name. Tanya would like to contact her, so if you read this, please respond. Thank you.
                        Dolores Miller

                        Do you Yahoo!?