Czech Conference

  • Illonam@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hi,
      thank you for the responses.  I still have not found anyone who knows about this conference.  Since I only got this information by e-mail, I want to check it out as much as I can before we send in money.
      Thank you for the suggestion that I write to the Embassy.  I did and hope they can tell me something about it, especially since the American Ambassador to the CR is supposed to speak.  Here is the program and it says that the Texas Czech Heritage Society has time on the program.  I wonder who will be there from Texas?
      It sounds very nice and may be just what I need for my group, but I would love to hear from someone who is going or knows about it.
      Thanks again.
      Illona Morris
      illonam@...

      Program schedule for the Conference
      Czech Heritage conference 2005

      ARRIVAL  DAY:  5. 5. 2005 (Thursday)

      collecting people at the Prague airport - transfer to Celakovice - CMC Residence & Conference Inn**
      1900 dinner
      DAY ONE:  6. 5. 2005 (Friday)
      730 - 900 breakfast
      900 - 945 Overview of the Czech Republic - Prof. Ivan Fisera, CMC faculty
      1000 - 1045 Overview of Austro-Hungarian Empire - time when emigrants left for the USA - PhDr. Novak
      coffee break
      1100 - 1145 Czech lesson - Nina Novak
      1145 - 1230 Coming to Texas - Judy Vondra, Linda Skalicky
      1230 - 1330 lunch
      1400 Afternoon half daytrip with visit of a company: one bus to Brewery Cloister and second bus to glassworks Podebrady
      1900 Return back to CMC - transfer to "Medieval time dinner to Villa Dreucici" - 4km from Celakovice - sponsored by a company/bank
      DAY TWO:  7. 5. 2005 (Saturday)
      730 - 900 breakfast
      900 - 920 Welcome word given by Ambassador from US embassy in the Czech Republic
      920 - 1000 Texas-Czech heritage society
      Coffee break
      1015 - 1100 Czech Heritage abroad - Stanislav Kazecky
      1100 - 1230 Overview about Czech communities in the world - discussion
      1230 - 1330 lunch at CMC
      1400 Sightseeing tour to Prague - walking tour of Prague castle and Oldtown square
      1900 Farewell Dinner with Polka-Folks band playing Czech and German Music - with dancing - place -  Brandys castle /former castle of Karl Habsburg/ -say good bye word by "Karl Habsburg  " /
      DAY  THREE:  8.5.2005 (Sunday)
      800 breakfast on the boat on Elbe river, cruise with life jazz band
      1000 choice DVD -Czech movie projection in the Conference hall or shopping tour to Prague
      1230 lunch at CMC
      check out or individual further stay at CMC
      NEXT DAYS
      special arrangement for your individual visit to different places: villages, your ancestors graves (it is possible to rent a car and English speaking guide is available) and / or sightseeing tours to other places or interest of the Czech Republic (historical towns Cesky Krumlov, Karlovy Vary, Marianske Lazne, Telc - UNESCO Czech Heritage places  etc.)

    • Illonam@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
        I have asked the people at the Czech Conference to provide some names of Texas Czechs.  This is the names they provided.  Does anyone know any of them?

        Illona Morris

        My Texas contacts are Jitka Vondra and Linda Skalicky, those ladies and
        their families, they are good friends of mine. With Judy Vondra we plane for
        summer school in Texas where myself I would come as teacher of Czech
        language and history of Bohemia and my friends she would come to teach to
        cook Czech cuisine. Joel Blahnik I met in personal, he is a nice guy.

        Thanks,
        Illona Morris

        The information was sent to me by....

        Petr Polakovic
        Hotel manager
        CMC Residence & Conference Inn
        nam. 5. kvetna 2, 250 88  Celakovice
        dir.: +420 326 999 500
        mobil: +420 602 326 558
        fax: +420 326 999 726
        ppolakovic@...
        www.hotel.cmc.cz

      • Cindy Neal
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
          Message
          Illona, I maintain the membership of the Czech Heritage Society of Texas, and these are not members.  However, I did do a web search and came up with the webpage of Jitka Vondra at http://www.geocities.com/vondrarosenbaum/TexasCzechs.html and there is a link to her email address on that page.  Hope that helps.

          Cindy Neal

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
            Illona,
            Petr Polakovic is a good friend of mine. I spent my 2 weeks last Sept with him over in Czech Republic. The CMC conference inn is a college owned by an American. It is also a hotel. The rooms, food, etc were very reasonable. They have huge conferences there and had many during our stay. People come from all over the world and stay there during conferences. Last year's Czech Heritage conference was cancelled due to a few top folks having to back out.

             I am not sure if he is calling me ---- the Texas Czech Heritage Society that is booked from  920 - 1000 or not. I will email and ask him.  He does not know there is an actual Czech Heritage Society of Texas here. He is (I believe) wording the program flyer wrong. He does in fact call us the Texas Czech Heritage President and Vice President, jokingly of course.

            My word to you after having been there and knowing Petr very well....I would say it is money well spent. If you are going to be in Czech Republic anyhow, I wouldnt miss it. If your family is from the Czech Republic and you know what village, Petr picks up the phone and makes all the calls until he finds your family and you will be meeting them within days and sometimes hours. Celakovice is a great place to stay. It is out of the busy traffic and city and so much easier to drive around than your huge cities.

            I will email him now and ask him about the 920 -1000 guest speaker. I would have jumped in on the list sooner and answered your email regarding the conference but I didnt know it was our conference you were speaking of until I saw Celakovice, my name and his name listed. Rick was right about contacting me. In fact, you and I have talked before just as i returned from the Czech Republic, regarding pricing of hotels, meals, cars, etc. Also, during sharing my day to day journals with this group, the interpreter I continously spoke of and the hotel I spoke of so much was Petr and his CMC hotel.
            I will get back to you when he answers my email.
            Judy

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 2, 2005
              Hi,
              thank you to everyone who tried to help me to find out more about the Czech Conference in May in Prague.
              It seems that there are not very many people attending, so all of the things will not be offered that Petr had hoped would be.  We will try to take part in what he has to offer.
              He seems like a very nice person who is wanting us to come and that he will do all he can to help us.
              The prices for food and accommodations seem very reasonable.
              I would like to read more about the Conference Center and Celakovice, but have forgotten how to access the archives.
              Could someone help me with that?
              You are such a great group!!
              Thanks, again.
              Illona Morris
            • John L. Mikeska
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 3, 2005

                Illonam@... wrote:

                It seems that there are not very many people attending, so all of the things will not be offered that Petr had hoped would be.

                Are you saying because of fewer people, he will not offer as much whatever he is offering????

                The prices for food and accommodations seem very reasonable.
                I would like to read more about the Conference Center and Celakovice, but have forgotten how to access the archives.

                Type that word in Goggle and 10 pages comes up. <G>  Illonam, thought you would know that from all the postings you've done in past few years.  <G>

                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
              • John L. Mikeska

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 3, 2005
                    Sir John,
                    He infact is very busy. If everyone that goes to Czech Republic would look him up ahead of time, he will find your family. He is 45 minutes from Prague, close to Brandys nad Labem. Of course Brandys has a castle there which would be another good reason to go. Linda and I have found both sides of our family. Petr charges (if I remember correctly) about $10 an hour and gas unless you use your rental. Petr has found our family which was 4 hours away from him. And $10 an hour is great once that family member of yours opens that door and invites you in and the old pictures of your grandparents appear. If you remember from my daily journal....Petr also has a friend which owns a rental company. She gave us our car for a week for the same price that Prague airport companies charged for 1 day. And there was no $400 or so insurance/hold deposit. He absolutely took care of us in all we needed. Petr lived here in the States for awhile during his schooling. Illona, dont pass it up. Petr and the staff at the hotel speak English and it was the safest and most secure feeling hotel we stayed at. The address for the hotel is http://www.hotel.cmc.cz
                    Judy

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2005
                        Hi,
                        I have read some of the positings in the archives now and had decided that we would try to go to Celakovice.  I am trying to get in touch with Judy Vondra.  Judy, if you read this please write to me.  I have not heard from Petr for several days and am trying to make arrangements for our group.  It sounds like the conference will also not be held this year, but Petr still has some nice offerings of a Medieval dinner in a Villa and a farewell party with Polka music and dancers.  He has offered also to be our guide in Prague.
                        Now, if I could get him to write me again, we could try to finalize our plans.
                        Illona Morris

                        illonam@...