Dolni Vestonice

  • rebellous_99
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
      In my archaeology class this semester, one of the sites we have to
      know about is Dolni Vestonice in the Czech Republic. I saw the name
      on the review sheet and recognized it as being Czech right away.
      What does Dolni Vestonice mean in English? (I know dolni is "lower.")

      Matt
    • Tim Dybala
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
        Found this web-site:
        http://donsmaps.com/dolni.html

        From: "rebellous_99" <lennonluv@...>
        Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 03:14:37 -0000

        <tt>
        <BR>
        In my archaeology class this semester, one of the sites we have to
        <BR>
        know about is Dolni Vestonice in the Czech Republic.� I saw the
        name <BR>
        on the review sheet and recognized it as being Czech right away.�
        <BR>
        What does Dolni Vestonice mean in English? (I know dolni
        is "lower.")<BR>
        <BR>
        <BR>
        Matt<BR>
        <BR>
        <BR>
        <BR>
        </tt>

        <tt>
        Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less
        mail.<BR>
        <BR>
        </tt>

        <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

        <tt><hr width="500">
        <ul>
        <li>To visit your group on the web, go to:<br><a
        href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TexasCzechs/">http://groups.yah
        oo.com/group/TexasCzechs/</a><br>�
        <li>To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<br><a
        href="mailto:TexasCzechs-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
        subject=Unsubscribe">TexasCzechs-
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br>�
        <li>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms of
        Service</a>.
        </ul>
        </tt>

        <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

        Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net
      • Richard A. Garza
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          Hi Matt,
          Can't say but when Dr. Mikeska was here he told me that the "ice"
          ending for town names often referred to the fact that it was "of," as in
          ...of the estate of Veston, etc. Dolni Vestonice (carka over the "i" in
          Dolni and hacek over the "s" in Vestonice), 5.8 mi. north of Mikulov has
          a website (see link below), with a population of 333, is in the County of
          Breclav, South Moravian Region.
          Mikulov is the controlling town, but Mikulov's website has very
          little info relating to Dolni Vestonice. It does, though, have several
          tourism links of use to you for the UNESCO biosphere reserve where the
          Vestonicka Venus was found in an archaeological dig (see 2nd link below).

          You might try writing to the email links available on the Dolni
          Vestonice website and see if they can give you a definition of the town
          name.
          Rick Garza

          http://www.obecdolnivestonice.cz/
          http://www.palava.cz/engl/palavaus.htm

        • probert420@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2005
          • Leroy Janda
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2005
              Mikulov, we went thru the town when we were in CR. It is just a few
              miles from the Austrian border. Pretty much due north of Vienna, and
              south of Brno.

              It was a very nice and quaint place.

              One thing I remember on the way, we passed a lake that was real bright
              yellowish green. Our thoughts that at night it probably glowed and could
              be seen for miles.

              writes:

              > In my archaeology class this semester, one of the sites we have to
              > know about is Dolni Vestonice in the Czech Republic. I saw the name
              > on the review sheet and recognized it as being Czech right away.
              > What does Dolni Vestonice mean in English? (I know dolni is
              > "lower.")
              >
              > Matt

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Leroy Janda
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
                AUSTIN, Texas -

                Freshman Kenn Kasparek (Weimar, Texas) tossed a career-high six
                scoreless innings and the UT offense plated 10 runs on 13 hits as No. 1
                Texas (8-0) posted a 10-0 shutout victory over UT-San Antonio (0-4) in
                front of 4,123 fans at Disch-Falk Field on Tuesday, Feb. 15. Of note,
                Kasparek combined with four other Longhorns pitchers on UT's second
                shutout of the 2005 campaign.

                After each team threatened by placing two runners on in bottom of the
                first and the top of the second, respectively, the Longhorns put
                together a two-out rally in the second to grab a 3-0 lead as Dooley
                Prince (Sulphur, La.) came up with a single up the middle with Clay Van
                Hook (Brenham, Texas) on second and Drew Stubbs (Atlanta, Texas)
                followed with a home run to left. Two frames later, Seth Johnston
                (Boerne, Texas) came through with a two-out, two-run home run over the
                left field wall to up the Texas lead to 5-0 through four innings of
                play.

                In the bottom of the fifth, the Longhorns loaded the bases on a double,
                a single and a walk before David Maroul (Benbrook, Texas) dropped in a
                one-out double between the center fielder and second baseman to plate a
                pair of scores and make it a 7-0 ballgame. The Roadrunners, meanwhile,
                were limited to three singles and two walks by Kasparek through six
                frames. Texas then added three runs in the bottom of the seventh via two
                walks, a pair of singles and a passed ball to push on top 10-0. From
                there, Randy Boone (Yoakum, Texas), Jordon Street (Austin, Texas), Bryan
                Herrera (Austin, Texas) and J. Brent Cox (Bay City, Texas) limited UTSA
                to one hit over the final three frames to cap the shutout win. Picking
                up the victory was Kasparek, who struck out three and allowed only three
                hits over six frames in his second start of the year, while Caleb Barton
                shouldered the loss for UT-San Antonio.

                Pacing the Horns' offense on the day were Stubbs and Johnston, who each
                tallied multiple-hit efforts, three RBI and a two-run home run a piece.
                Other notable contributors for UT were Taylor Teagarden (Carrollton,
                Texas) and Prince, who each had a pair of hits while combining for two
                runs scored and one RBI. On the other side of the ledger, the
                Roadrunners' Michael McKennon, Ryan Crew, Lee Todesco and Eric Moreno
                each collected one hit on the day to headline the UTSA attack.
                Additionally, Stubbs and Johnston both extended their current hitting
                streaks to eight games, while both Jordon Street and Herrera made their
                first career pitching appearances for UT.

                Up next, the Horns open up a three-game series against No. 5 Stanford at
                Disch-Falk Field on Friday, Feb. 18 at 2:30 p.m. Central.
              • George Patrick
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 16, 2005
                  All of the Longhorn baseball games are broadcast on KVET AM1300. It's not
                  a real strong station but it does carry home and away games normally.

                  Hook "em, Horns!

                  George of Austin