Re: [TexasCzechs] strange Czech pastries

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
      >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
      thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
      why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
      County.<grin><<

      Strange? ROTFL!! Was that HIS word or the reporters? Whomever it was that
      said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he? Strange or not, I'll
      take them. This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches. Time to make
      plans to go to the grocery store. My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
      almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas. Too long....

      Nan
    • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
        Nangotoo wrote:

        >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
        thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
        why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
        County.<grin><<

        Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
        said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
        take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
        plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
        almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

        Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

        That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

      • Margie Davis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005

          You’ll have to drive to West for REAL kolaches. The cheese are the best!

          Margie Mashek Davis

          AP Lit., English 4, Photojournalism

          Italy High School

          >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech
          pastries" and I
          thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
          why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
          County.<grin><<

          Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
          said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
          take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
          plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
          almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

          Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

          That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

        • Jake

            >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
            thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
            why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
            County.<grin><<

            Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
            said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
            take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
            plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
            almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

            Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

            That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

          • Peggy McPeak

              >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
              thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
              why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
              County.<grin><<

              Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
              said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
              take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
              plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
              almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

              Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

              That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Susan Toles
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                For truly phenomenal kolaces, go to Hruska's on Hwy 71 in Ellinger, NW of
                Columbus. Terri Hruska and her gang make the best kolaces - cherry, cheese,
                apricot, strawberry, blackbeery, prune, lemon, poppyseed - you name it .
                they also make the absolute best sausage rolls. Every time I come down to
                Houston, I head there to visit family in nearby Fayetteville and stop at
                Hruska's on the way. You won't regret the trip!!!!

                Susan Toles

                _____

                >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
                thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
                why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
                County.<grin><<

                Strange? ROTFL!! Was that HIS word or the reporters? Whomever it was that
                said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he? Strange or not, I'll
                take them. This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches. Time to make
                plans to go to the grocery store. My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
                almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas. Too long....

                Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had
                pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned
                to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what? No kolaches!
                Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

                That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing
                world as I knew it, and grew up in. The church in Granger used to have an
                annual kolache cook-off. I think it was to raise money, but I remember my
                grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen
                kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the
                best kolaches I've ever eaten.

                _____

                Do you Yahoo!?
                Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn
                <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29914/*http:/info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250>
                more.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a7a2ke/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                oups/S=1706337062:HM/EXP=1104971740/A=2495208/R=0/SIG=11egg01lg/*http:/www.n
                etflix.com/Default?mqso=60188914> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                :HM/A=2495208/rand=648183211>

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              • Margie Davis
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 5, 2005

                  West now has 4 Czech bakeries. At one point there were 6 but Kolacek’s Kolace Kitchen has since changed owners but I’m not sure the bakery is still going.  Also, Sulak’s Café has closed down and their kolaches and bread were awesome, but their steaks were even better.  My family and friends are now searching for the perfect steak!

                     Two bakeries are on the interstate (35), Kaska’s and the Czech Stop and Bakery. If you go up into town (go east to get to downtown West J), there’s Nors Bakery on the main drag and furthur up past the railroad tracks, the best kolaches are served in the oldest Czech bakery in Texas—The Village Bakery.  Gotta have their cheese kolaches… I’d better stop now….I’m drooling.

                  Margie Mashek Davis

                  AP Lit., English 4, Photojournalism

                  Italy High School

                  Those in West are awesome,but if that is too far then you can go to LaGrange.  Wiekel's has awesome kolaches also.

                  >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech
                  pastries" and I
                  thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
                  why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
                  County.<grin><<

                  Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
                  said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
                  take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
                  plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
                  almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

                  Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

                  That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

                • Heart of Gold
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 7, 2005
                    The Crosby Brethern Church makes and sells kolaches and cinnamon rolls on a
                    monthly basis. They have been doing this as a fundraiser for many years and
                    it's been a good deal for everyone. They are $7.00 a dozen and very good.

                    Cynthia Wotipka

                  • Nangotoo
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 9, 2005
                      >> the best kolaches are served in the oldest Czech bakery in Texas—The Village Bakery.  Gotta have their cheese kolaches… I’d better stop now….I’m drooling.<<

                      I'm going to have to agree with you, Margie.  That's where we have always gone.  One of my mom's older sisters and her family lived in West for as long as I can remember so we went there for years in the summers we went to TX to visit.  We always got our kolaches there.  Now there isn't much downtown anymore, but there it was, The Village Bakery, right where its always been when we went there two years ago.  We were thrilled because we had bought some really bad kolaches in several places along our travels and we were pretty darn despirited by then.  We made a special trip to West on our way up to Azle (outside of Ft. Worth) for more visiting.  We bought lots of kolaches in West and took them up to Azle to share with my cousin and her family.  Those kolaches were so good and everyone enjoyed them.  You're right, of course, the cheese ones are the best.  Gosh, I'm craving those things now.  I have to stop writing about kolaches unless I plan to get in the kitchen.
                      I've been trying to get my house more organized.  Of course, that requires making a bigger mess while organizing so I can't get through some of the rooms right now.  I started working on my stamp collections again lately.  My sister sent me all of her U.S. stamp collection and I have had a foreign stamp collection since I was 11 yrs. old that my dad took over when being a teenager got in the way.  Now at the age of 54 yrs., I have picked it up again.  Problem is that there are countries in my old album that don't exist now and so many countries now that didn't exist then that Ive decided that I have to get new albums--both for foreign and for the U.S. stamps.  I looked at a list of countries that exist now and I was shocked that I don't know the names and locations of many of that list!!  I was a good history student in school, but my god, have things changed!   I knew that there were new names for countries and some new countries over the past decades, but I didn't know there were that MANY changes!

                      Nan