strange Czech pastries

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi All,
      Hope y'all had a nice Christmas & New Year.
      I've been down in the Rio Grande Valley visiting with the folks. An interesting article showed up in the local newspaper yesterday about a new business that opened up in McAllen this year. Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin County.<grin>
      Rick Garza

      - - - - - - - - - -
      Local businesses ready for another year�s race for profit
      December 31, 2004
      Victoria Hirschberg, Monitor Staff Writer

      Offering strange Czech pastries called kolaches to the masses secured a somewhat sweet 2004 for young entrepreneur Darron White.
      Hopefully, business in 2005 will be not only sweet, but lucrative as well.
      White, like many Rio Grande Valley residents, ventured into business during 2004. White is part owner of the first Kolache Factory in North McAllen. The location opened about three months ago, but White said it hopefully is the first of many Kolache Factory stores in the Valley.
      �The biggest thing is getting people just to try my product,� White said. �That was the biggest thing. I was afraid it may not take.�
      Luckily for White, kolaches are selling and customers slammed his shop buying breakfast and lunch pastries for the holidays, he said.

      from www.TheMonitor.com
    • Nangotoo
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
        >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
        thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
        why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
        County.<grin><<

        Strange? ROTFL!! Was that HIS word or the reporters? Whomever it was that
        said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he? Strange or not, I'll
        take them. This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches. Time to make
        plans to go to the grocery store. My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
        almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas. Too long....

        Nan
      • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
          Nangotoo wrote:

          >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
          thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
          why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
          County.<grin><<

          Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
          said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
          take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
          plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
          almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

          Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

          That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

        • Margie Davis
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005

            You’ll have to drive to West for REAL kolaches. The cheese are the best!

            Margie Mashek Davis

            AP Lit., English 4, Photojournalism

            Italy High School

            >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech
            pastries" and I
            thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
            why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
            County.<grin><<

            Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
            said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
            take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
            plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
            almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

            Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

            That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

          • Jake

              >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
              thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
              why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
              County.<grin><<

              Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
              said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
              take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
              plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
              almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

              Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

              That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

            • Peggy McPeak

                >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
                thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
                why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
                County.<grin><<

                Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
                said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
                take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
                plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
                almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

                Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

                That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Susan Toles
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2005
                  For truly phenomenal kolaces, go to Hruska's on Hwy 71 in Ellinger, NW of
                  Columbus. Terri Hruska and her gang make the best kolaces - cherry, cheese,
                  apricot, strawberry, blackbeery, prune, lemon, poppyseed - you name it .
                  they also make the absolute best sausage rolls. Every time I come down to
                  Houston, I head there to visit family in nearby Fayetteville and stop at
                  Hruska's on the way. You won't regret the trip!!!!

                  Susan Toles

                  _____

                  >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech pastries" and I
                  thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
                  why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
                  County.<grin><<

                  Strange? ROTFL!! Was that HIS word or the reporters? Whomever it was that
                  said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he? Strange or not, I'll
                  take them. This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches. Time to make
                  plans to go to the grocery store. My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
                  almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas. Too long....

                  Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had
                  pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned
                  to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what? No kolaches!
                  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

                  That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing
                  world as I knew it, and grew up in. The church in Granger used to have an
                  annual kolache cook-off. I think it was to raise money, but I remember my
                  grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen
                  kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the
                  best kolaches I've ever eaten.

                  _____

                  Do you Yahoo!?
                  Yahoo! Mail - now with 250MB free storage. Learn
                  <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29914/*http:/info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250>
                  more.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a7a2ke/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=gr
                  oups/S=1706337062:HM/EXP=1104971740/A=2495208/R=0/SIG=11egg01lg/*http:/www.n
                  etflix.com/Default?mqso=60188914> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=groups/S=
                  :HM/A=2495208/rand=648183211>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                • Margie Davis
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 5, 2005

                    West now has 4 Czech bakeries. At one point there were 6 but Kolacek’s Kolace Kitchen has since changed owners but I’m not sure the bakery is still going.  Also, Sulak’s Café has closed down and their kolaches and bread were awesome, but their steaks were even better.  My family and friends are now searching for the perfect steak!

                       Two bakeries are on the interstate (35), Kaska’s and the Czech Stop and Bakery. If you go up into town (go east to get to downtown West J), there’s Nors Bakery on the main drag and furthur up past the railroad tracks, the best kolaches are served in the oldest Czech bakery in Texas—The Village Bakery.  Gotta have their cheese kolaches… I’d better stop now….I’m drooling.

                    Margie Mashek Davis

                    AP Lit., English 4, Photojournalism

                    Italy High School

                    Those in West are awesome,but if that is too far then you can go to LaGrange.  Wiekel's has awesome kolaches also.

                    >>Seems some guy wanted to start selling "strange Czech
                    pastries" and I
                    thought I'd share part of the article with you (see below). And you wonder
                    why I never heard of those strange Czech pastries till I got to Austin
                    County.<grin><<

                    Strange?  ROTFL!!  Was that HIS word or the reporters?  Whomever it was that
                    said that hasn't been around TX very much, has he?  Strange or not, I'll
                    take them.  This is making me hungry for cheese kolaches.  Time to make
                    plans to go to the grocery store.  My freezer hasn't had kolaches in it for
                    almost a year. I didn't make any this year for Christmas.  Too long....

                    Speaking of strange,.....The Lone Star Bakery, in Round Rock, has always had pretty fair kolaches, and after a long absence, (20yr military), I returned to Round Rock to get me 1/2 dozen kolaches,.....guess what?  No kolaches!  Now they were carrying "bagels" instead!?!

                    That seemed pretty "strange" to me, but I guess it speaks to the changing world as I knew it, and grew up in.  The church in Granger used to have an annual kolache cook-off.  I think it was to raise money, but I remember my grandmother taking me, and all the other grandmothers were in the kitchen kneading the dough, and whatever other magic they did to make some of the best kolaches I've ever eaten.

                  • Heart of Gold
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 7, 2005
                      The Crosby Brethern Church makes and sells kolaches and cinnamon rolls on a
                      monthly basis. They have been doing this as a fundraiser for many years and
                      it's been a good deal for everyone. They are $7.00 a dozen and very good.

                      Cynthia Wotipka

                    • Nangotoo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 9, 2005
                        >> the best kolaches are served in the oldest Czech bakery in Texas—The Village Bakery.  Gotta have their cheese kolaches… I’d better stop now….I’m drooling.<<

                        I'm going to have to agree with you, Margie.  That's where we have always gone.  One of my mom's older sisters and her family lived in West for as long as I can remember so we went there for years in the summers we went to TX to visit.  We always got our kolaches there.  Now there isn't much downtown anymore, but there it was, The Village Bakery, right where its always been when we went there two years ago.  We were thrilled because we had bought some really bad kolaches in several places along our travels and we were pretty darn despirited by then.  We made a special trip to West on our way up to Azle (outside of Ft. Worth) for more visiting.  We bought lots of kolaches in West and took them up to Azle to share with my cousin and her family.  Those kolaches were so good and everyone enjoyed them.  You're right, of course, the cheese ones are the best.  Gosh, I'm craving those things now.  I have to stop writing about kolaches unless I plan to get in the kitchen.
                        I've been trying to get my house more organized.  Of course, that requires making a bigger mess while organizing so I can't get through some of the rooms right now.  I started working on my stamp collections again lately.  My sister sent me all of her U.S. stamp collection and I have had a foreign stamp collection since I was 11 yrs. old that my dad took over when being a teenager got in the way.  Now at the age of 54 yrs., I have picked it up again.  Problem is that there are countries in my old album that don't exist now and so many countries now that didn't exist then that Ive decided that I have to get new albums--both for foreign and for the U.S. stamps.  I looked at a list of countries that exist now and I was shocked that I don't know the names and locations of many of that list!!  I was a good history student in school, but my god, have things changed!   I knew that there were new names for countries and some new countries over the past decades, but I didn't know there were that MANY changes!

                        Nan