Christmas in Poland

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2004
      First, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!  Enjoy family, friends, and have a save weekend.

      I have a friend in Poland, very near  the North Eastern border of the CZ, who commented their main dish on Christmas Eve was carp, and ask what we normally had for the Christmas meal.  I replied, with comment to go to bed early or Santa wouldn't come <g>  His reply was very interesting to me, and thought others may find it interesting.

      Sir John
                 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Cze��

      > (Sir John): The main dish is baked turkey, along with ham, sweet potatoes
      > (yams), breaded dressing, and sweets.
      >
      > However, this is normally served on Christmas Day.

      (Friend)  So you don't celebrate Christmas Eve Supper... shame on you ;-)
      Christmas Eve in Poland is more important than Christmas day I
      suppose.

      > (Sir John) Go to bed early tonight (think about 7 or 8 pm Christmas Eve
      > there now.  Santa won't come see you if you stay up!  <G>

      (Friend) Santa comes on 6th Dec... on Christmas Eve the Star comes and gives
      gifts. But it depends on the region of Poland - some of them have Santa, some
      have Little Jesus, some have an angel and some have the star that
      brings presents.
      --
      Pozdrawiam,
      Przemek

    • richardgarza1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 26, 2004
        Hi Sir John,
        Merry Christmas to you, too. You can let your Polish friend know that some of us in Texas still celebrate the old customs. We had our Christmas Eve dinner, then sat around opening our Christmas presents.
        Today, being St. Stephen's Day (2nd day of Christmas) we're off to visit friends and give them their presents.
        Had a lovely white Christmas down here in Mission, Texas (Rio Grande Valley). Been at least 20 years since there was snow down here and never on Christmas. Wow!
        Of course, all the tropical plants, such as the papayas, bouganvillias, hibiscus, etc. have all been decimated. Such as sad sight. May have to stay down here till Jan 6th (Three Kings Day, 12th Day of Christmas) to take down the tree for our folks.
        Good tidings to everyone.
        Rick Garza

        .