Recipe - Thumbprint Cookies

  • Richard A. Garza
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2004
      Hi All,
              I just finished making some Dultkove kolacky (thumbprint cookies) and thought I'd better share the recipe with you before I forgot about it - especially now that it's time to start making cookies for St. Barbara's day, etc.
              I'm also attaching a picture of the ones I just made, but keep in mind that they're only about an inch-and-a-half in size.
      Rick

      Dultkove kolacky - Engelsaugen - Thumbprint Cookies
      Yield: 3 Dozen

      Ingredients

          1/2 c butter (1 stick)
            1 c  sugar
        2-1/2 c  flour, all-purpose
            1    tsp Baking Powder
            1    egg
            4 oz cream cheese
            1    Raspberry, Bama Red Plum, or Apricot jam

      Instructions

      Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

      Cream together the butter, sugar, egg and cream cheese. Sift flour with baking powder and mix in well. Wrap dough in waxed paper or plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

      Roll into balls about 3/4–inch diameter and roll in granulated sugar. Place them on an ungreased cookie sheet (the cookies don't grow when baked, so they can be somewhat close together). Then press your thumb into each to make an indentation to hold some jam. Fill it with jam, about a 1/2 teaspoon. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 to 20 minutes.

      You can use any tart-flavored jam you like.

      Don't eat the cookies straight from the oven, or you'll probably burn your tongue. The jam stays hotter much longer than the cookie.