Recipe question

  • dkf@piecesofthepast.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004

      Hi all,

      I was wondering if anyone had a recipe for a pastry type dessert that I used to eat as a kid.  I don’t know the name of it, so I will describe it.

      It was a batter that you dip a shaped iron into and then sink the iron in hot oil.  The pastry was light and airy and sprinkled with powdered sugar sometimes.

      Does anyone know the name of this dessert or have the recipe?  I have the irons that I rescued from Goodwill (only because I knew what they were used for), but no recipe.  Help.

      Thanks, DK

       _
      DK Fillmer, Owner

      Pieces of the Past
      http://www.PiecesofthePast.com

    • Richard A. Garza
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
        Rosettes and Timbales
        Rosettes and Timbales
        Servings: Makes approximately 6 dozen Rosettes
        Comments:
        Rosettes are a fragile and very pretty deep-fried pastry originating in Sweden, usually eaten at Christmas. A special rosette iron is needed to make them. Rosette irons in various shapes are available in specialty cooking shops and department stores. The trick to making good rosettes is to preheat the iron in the oil, and to be sure not to dip the iron so deeply into the batter that it coats the top of the iron.

        Ingredients:
        4 eggs, slightly beaten
        4 teaspoons granulated sugar
        2 cups milk
        2 cups flour
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        Powdered sugar, or granulated sugar mixed with cinnamon
        Vegetable oil, for frying rosettes

        You will need: (see note below)*
        Rosette/Timbale Iron*

        Instructions:
        Mix eggs, granulated sugar and milk (I prefer to use the blender). Stir in flour and salt, beat until smooth. In 3-quart saucepan, heat 1-1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 350° for timbales or 400° for rosettes. Heat rosette iron in oil, drain; dip into batter (it should sizzle). Fry in oil until golden in color.

        Dip rosettes in powdered sugar or in mixture of granulated sugar and cinnamon.

        Makes: Approximately 6 dozen Rosettes.

        TIMBALES
        Timbales are pastry shells, made by dipping a Rosette Iron with Timbale Shell attachments first into a batter, then into deep, hot fat. When the crisp pastry is pushed off the iron and cooled, it can be filled with a sweet or savory mixture. Timbale irons come in various sizes and shapes such as hearts, stars and butterflies. You can use this recipe to make timbales.

        TIMBALES USES:
        Fill just before serving with pudding, pie filling, fresh fruit, ice cream, sherbet, etc., for dessert. Or for lunch, fill with creamed vegetables, chicken or meat salad, tuna salad, fruit salad, scrambled eggs, etc.

        *Note: You can purchase Rosette Irons at many stores on the Internet, such as Cooking.com.

        If you wish, you can click on Cooking.com's banner on my website to find the rosette irons at this internet cooking store.

        *Note: Rosette/Timbale Irons are also available in specialty cookware stores.

        Nordic Ware makes a very nice Rosette/Timbale Iron Set. It may can be purchased online at: Kitchen Kapers (http://www.kitchenkapers.com).

        Source: DianasDesserts.com
      • dkf@piecesofthepast.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004

          Perfect, THANKS!!

          DK

           _

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004

            dkf@... wrote:

            Perfect, THANKS!!

            DK

             _Rosettes, My grandmother the late Lillie Kaderka used to make them. My mother will get the recipe soon so i can post Lillie Kaderka's recipe for you to enjoy.

            Janet.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2004
              It's called funnel cake...I think you can find the
              batter mix even in the grocery stores for it.

              Nicole

              http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250