First Czech Immigrant Group to Texas

  • Dolores Miller
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi All,
      I have a Czech Cook Book "Generation to Generation" put out by the Czech Club Historical Society in Dallas.  It not only contains good receipes but some historical background and cultural customs. According to Albert Blaha, Sr., the first Czech  immigrant group bound for Texas sailed out of Liverpool, England on Dec.2, 1851 on a British ship named Maria with 74 Czechs on board. On Feb. 3, 1852, the Maria arrived in New Orleans. It does not say if the Czech stayed on board to sail on to Galveston or if they traveled on land to settle in Austin County in the Cat Springs, New Ulm and Industry area.  Apparently only 17 families survived the trip and that they were from the villages of Cermna, Ceska Trebova and Lanskroun all from Cechy near the Morivian border.  Apparently there were some Shillers in the group.  After the Christmas Holidays I plan to go to the Irving Library and if necessary the Dallas Library.  They both have extensive records of ships and ofcourse the Census records on microfilm.
      Hope this is of interest to someone.
      Dolores Miller

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Arther K. Berkey
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
        Dolores Miller

        I would like to have a copy, if it has any referance to a John Konvicka  born 1840 who arrived in St. louis about this time, wfies name Anna Kuzak, born 1844 both born in Czech, location unknown.

        There was another John Konvicka born Feb. 1860 that liveded in the same home in St. Louis, This john must have been areletive.

        The Older John is my great grand father, would appereciate any information you may have. Please reply.

        Arther K. Berkey
        P.O.Box 515
        Locust Grove, OK
        74352

        aberkey@...

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
          Yes, it is of interest!  I have Dusek ancestors from the Cermna area.
          Thanks, Frances
        • bon matejka
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2004

            Name: John KONVICHKA
            Age: 40
            Estimated birth year: <1840>
            Birthplace: BOH
            Occupation: Carriage Painter
            Relation: Self
            Home in 1880: St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri
            Marital status: Married
            Race: White
            Gender: Male
            Head of household: John KONVICHKA
            Father's birthplace: BOH

            Mother's birthplace:

            BOH

            Annie wife  age 36

            Joseph son age 18 born Bohemia

            Mary daughter age 15 born Bohemia

            Anthony son age 13 born Bohemia

            Mathilda daughter age 3 born Missouri

            This is in the 1880 census for St Louis  city  if you would like the census image let me know I will email it too you

            Arther K. Berkey" <aberkey@...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2004
              Yes, I would like to have a copy and I will reimburse you for cost and shipping. And I thank you very much for your help.

              Arther K. Berkey
              P. O. box 515
              Locust grove, OK.
              74352-0515

              Pho 918-479-8639

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
                Art, I have been unable to send you copies, my printer and scanner died, however, Santa is bring a new one for Christmas and I'll try to send a copy of the ships passenger list that had John Konvicka.  I am still searching the Texas Seaport Museum for my grandparents ship and exact date of entry,
                they were Josef and Regina Bigon.
                Dolores Miller -- texassanta5@...