I'm HONC too!!

  • mariehonc
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 26, 2004
      Hola everybody!! great to meet my czech family!!

      My name is Maria HONC. My grandfather was czech and he came to
      mexico city during the 1st WW. He had a sister named Josephine HONC
      who stayed in prague. They were a rich family but lost all their
      properties during the war. Vladimir HONC DIX was my grandpa´s full
      name. He married a mexican woman and had 7 children, only 2 males.
      On is Wenceslao HONC, my dad. He also married a mexican and I have a
      brother, Carlos HONC who is the famous sound editor of Cidade de
      Deus, he won a prize both in brazil and in the US. My cousins names
      are Vladimir, Wenzel, Daniel, my nephews names are Ivan, Irina,
      Vladimiro.....all czech names.

      A few years ago I was in Prague and found just a few HONC names, it
      was quite difficult talking to them. I decided to look in the
      internet and it was a great surpise finding you!!

      I want to know more about my granpa´s life.

      I live in Mexico City, I'm 30 and I work in Danone / Dannon Dairy
      products division. I have a golden retriever, Brad and I'm a
      triathlete.

      Love to hear from you soon,

      Marie
    • Richard A. Garza
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2004
        Hi Maria,
        Welcome to the group!
        We discuss many areas of our Czech heritage on this email list.
        So jump in whenever you see an interesting topic and want to share some
        information with the group.
        For example, did you know the Czechs have their own version of
        menudo? They call it Drstkova Polevka, but it's not as spicy as the
        Mexican version. What is? Ha! And pan de polvo cookies are called
        Vanilkove Rohlicky in Czech. These, and the accordion and polka were
        gifts that Maximilian's soldiers brought to Mexico.
        Your grandfather probably met many families from the Czech lands
        that stayed in Mexico after Maximilian was removed. Did he ever speak of
        meeting other Czech/Austrian families?
        Rick Garza
        Sharing. It's what it's all about!
        http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

        "Austin County = Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas"

        On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:46:20 -0000 "mariehonc" <mariehonc@...>
        writes:
        > Hola everybody!! great to meet my czech family!!
        >
        > My name is Maria HONC. My grandfather was czech and he came to
        > mexico city during the 1st WW. He had a sister named Josephine HONC
        > who stayed in prague.
        > A few years ago I was in Prague and found just a few HONC names, it
        > was quite difficult talking to them. I decided to look in the
        > internet and it was a great surpise finding you!!
        >
        > I want to know more about my granpa´s life.
        >
        > Marie

      • Marie Honc
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
          Hi, thanks for the welcome.  Indeed grandpa had only 1 czech friend who I didn�t met.  I know because me dad and uncle told me.  He came all by himself in a shirmp cargo boat.  He decided no to stay in the US.  He first city was NY and then Michigan. Dad travelled with him to Michigan when he was young to meet old friends.
          After Michigan, he decided to come to Mexico arriving to Veracruz, also in a cargo.  He stayed for quite a few years and then he came down to Puebla where he met grandma.  She just passed away 2 years ago.

          I didn�t knew about the �menudo, in fact I don�t like it.  We as a family have quite a few czhec traditions too.  Dad loves dumplings and (we call it) shrukut (cole, sausages, pork meat and dumplings) as grandpa did.

          One very curious thing in my family is that all males (cousins and nephews) are very similar to grandpa. In my case,  I have few physical similitude but I�m just like him in my character.....well, that�s what dad says.

          He never knew about his sister, this is a big msytery......no one knows what happend with her.

          keep in touch and have a nice thanksgiving weekend!

          writes:
          > Hola everybody!! great to meet my czech family!!
          >
          > My name is Maria HONC.  My grandfather was czech and he came to
          > mexico city during the 1st WW. He had a sister named Josephine HONC
          > who stayed in prague.
          > A few years ago I was in Prague and found just a few HONC names, it
          > was quite difficult talking to them. I decided to look in the
          > internet and it was a great surpise finding you!!
          >
          > I want to know more about my granpa�s life.
          >
          > Marie

          Marie HONC

          Do you Yahoo!?
          The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!

        • Nangotoo
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            >>My name is Maria HONC. My grandfather was czech and he came to mexico
            city during the 1st WW.<<

            Hi Maria,

            Welcome to the board. I'm sure that you will have lots of fun researching
            your Czech family ties. It sounds as if you have an interesting family.

            Nan