Nelsonville Chicken Stew Sun, Nov 1st 11:30 am

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      Hi Frances,
      Your father must be Joe Barton?
      Yes, the Nelsonville Brethren Church still holds their Chicken
      Stew fundraisers twice yearly. The next one comes up in two weeks on
      Sunday, November 21st. Yes, it is the best. But my favorite part,
      diabetes or no diabetes, are those wonderful home-baked desserts the
      church ladies make. And their country store always has something you just
      have to have!
      Hope to see all of you in Nelsonville on the 21st.
      Rick Garza

      On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 16:17:52 -0600 Frances Barton
      <fbarton@...> writes:

      > Oh! I forgot one of my favorites! Nelsonville Stew! My father was
      > the
      > preacher at the Nelsonville Brethren Church during the 1940s and
      > 1950s.
      > One of the yearly church dinners featured a poultry stew, similar to
      > stews served in many rural areas of America. Some places this stew
      > would
      > be made with squirrel. In Nelsonville, the cooks made it with
      > turkeys,
      > potatoes, lima beans, corn, and chili powder (Gebhardt's, I
      > believe).
      > They made it outdoors in big vats over an open fire.

    • Frances Barton
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2004
        Rick--Yes, Joe Barton was my father. And I am so pleased to hear that Nelsonville Stew is still made, twice a year even. I guess they use chickens now, not turkeys as we used to. Do they still use tomatoes, corn, limas, potatoes, and chili powder? Well, onions too, no doubt. And the country store is still going! I always loved it. What doesn't surprise me, however, is that home-baked desserts are still plentiful and delicious. That tradition would be hard to stop.

        I don't know how we could possibly make it on the 21st but, just in case, let me know the time. Thanks for letting me know about this. It brings a big smile to my face.

        Frances

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/mMKtlB/TM

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/