Re: [TexasCzechs] Ancestry.com

  • Lois Petter Pereira
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25 7:12 PM
      I've been a member for over 2 years now and never had a problem. I have a yearly subscription and it is automatically charged once a year to my credit card. To stop this automatic billing you have to call and cancel before it is time to renew for the following year. Glad to hear you got this straightened out. If I am not mistaken they have purchased Rootsweb.com or vice versa plus there were many other companies they have acquired and I wonder if this could be a left over contact from another company that got into their database. I am glad that your problem has been resolved though. Lois Petter Pereira

      Tim Dybala wrote:

      On my Sept AmericanExpress card bill, I saw a $59.95 charge from
      Ancestry.com.   I recalled visiting their web-site but did not remember
      signing up for any service or subscription.   How they got my
      AmericanExpress credit card number, I don't know!!  I called
      AmericanExpress and explained that I did not authorize ancestry.com to bill
      my account.  AmericanExpress investigated my claim and I just received a
      letter stating that Ancestry.com has issued a credit to my AmericanExpress
      account.  I am still concerned about how ancestry.com got my credit card
      number!!
      Has anyone else had any problems like this with ancestry.com ?

      Lois Petter Pereira
      Researching Ahlhorn, Bokemeyer, Brdusik, Bruntrig, Cordes, Filges, Francis, Garney, Gebauer, Hadac, Hadash, Halla, Hauser, Hoelschel, Kaskie, Maciejeski, Manak, Nauger, Ollre, Orsag, Orsak, Otjen, Papiz, Pavlik, Pereira, Petter, Polasek, Pratka, Psencik, Rada, Rohan, Sablatura, Schaub, Schroeder, Slovack, Susil, Tiemann, Urban, Weiser

    • carlgenlnrt
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2005
        Thank's to everyone for all the comments about Ancestry.com. It seems
        to me the negative outweighs the positive about the site. I have
        decided to visit a FHC instead.

        Carl
      • Russell & Kathy Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
          I use ancestry.com and have found many wonderful facts. The more information
          you have regarding families, the easier it is. You also have to be careful
          when looking at family trees that people have submitted. They are not always
          correct. I just found information on my husband's family that I was told by
          his mother, I would not be able to find. I can trace one of his
          grandfather's family (Locke) back to the mid 1850's just using the census
          records. Others have traced this same family back to before 1760 in America.
          I'm still working on proving that information. You have to keep putting in
          names that you have - all names until you find what you are looking for. No
          system is perfect.

          Kathy Horak Smith
        • Russell & Kathy Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 17, 2005
            The other thing I like about using Ancestry.com is that I can work on it at
            1:00 in the morning when our library is closed. That's when I do my best
            work.
          • Nangotoo
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 18, 2005
              >>I use ancestry.com and have found many wonderful facts. The
              more information
              you have regarding families, the easier it is. You also have to be careful
              when looking at family trees that people have submitted. They are not always
              correct.<<

              There is a free family tree site called WorldConnect to look at, too.  Its a Rootsweb site.  Same thing there...its a good place for hints and for finding names, but if ANY info is not sourced properly, treat it like anything you don't know for sure.  I often write to the person who submitted the family tree and ask about sources if they aren't included. Most of the time, their info is not backed up with documents and other sources and they don't bother to write back so it gets written down in pencil until I find a source for it. I also include their name and email on the page in case I do find a source.  I have found so many stupid mistakes in those family trees that told me that these people were very sloppy researchers, didn't do their homework to learn about the importance of sources or are just plain lazy and copied someone else's family tree as theirs.  Be very careful about those family trees, everyone.  They can lead you down the wrong road.

              Nan