Czech Dumplings

  • Jim & Elaine Hicks
    Message 1 of 131 , Oct 23, 2004
      Dear Fellow Czech Texans:

      I want to talk about dumplings.  Both sets of my great-grandparents immigrated to the USA from what is now the Czech Republic, then the Austria-Hungary Empire.  One set of great-grandparents came from the area between Frydek-Mistek and Ostrava in 1879; the other set from Frenstat in 1880.  Both sets of great-grandparents settled first in Fayette County but moved to Wharton County in the 1890's.  There are only Czechs in the ancestors of both my mother and father.

      While growing up in my Czech family surrounded by my extended Czech family members and friends of my Czech community, I was served or helped make kolaches (of course), strudel, egg noodles, homemade bread, homemade cheeses, smoked sausage, smoked pork tenderloin, lard, head sausage, stomach loaf, liver and gravy (for breakfast), brains and eggs, etc but NEVER dumplings!  They were never served at my home or at the home of my many aunts, uncles, cousins or friends that I am aware of.

      At various times I see dumplings mentioned on this bulletin board as a Czech food.  I saw the ad for Josie's dumplings from Chicago.  When members of my family visited Europe in 2001, the minute we hit the Czech Republic border, the parade of dumplings began.  We were served dumplings at every lunch and dinner with pork, duck and other meats.  We were even served dumplings at the wedding we attended in Czeske Budejovice; the first course was chicken soup with liver dumplings and dumplings were served again latter with the main course.

      My question is "Why no dumplings in my growing up years in Texas?"  Did my family "dump" the dumplings when they came to Texas and had different foods available to them?  I know that foods are regional items.  Were dumplings not a regular thing in the region that my great-grandparents left?  Did my Dad not like dumplings and so my mother never made them?  If that were true, shouldn't I have been served dumplings at some aunt's or cousin's house?

      Are dumplings really a native Czech food?  If so, I would like to know more about Czech dumplings, in particular, the ones that start out kinda like a wet loaf of bread and are served sliced.  What are these called and how do you make them?  What other shapes do Czech dumplings come in?  Are there forms that are mixed with other meats like the liver dumplings?  How are fruit dumplings made; like kolaches?  Are kolaches just a kind of fruit dumpling that is baked?  Should I like Czech dumplings?  So far, I have not met a Czech dumpling that I like.

      I would like to be enlightened about Czech dumplings.   This might seem like a fluffy subject but my curiosity has been aroused. Thanks in advance for any gravy you can pour out about this subject.

      Elaine Naiser Hicks
      Mansfield, Texas originally from Taiton, Texas.

      Family names:  Naiser, Vasicek, Klecka, Labay, Lidiak, Vacek, Polasek, Barta, Reznicek, Barta, Vaclavik, Goerig, Kacal, Dorotik, Mazoch, Dluhos, Hlavaty, Pustejovsky
    • Nangotoo
      Message 131 of 131 , Sep 28, 2007

        Looks good. Yum......I see donuts and breads, but Patsy, where's the Kolaches?

        Nan

        Thought some of you would like to see some of my food photos from my trip.  I know Rick is anxiously waiting for the photos.  The first 10 minutes in the Czech Republic I found a bakery.  I can say from experience everything was great.  Enjoy, Patsy