Hurta's

  • mhhurta
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      I'm looking for any information on the Hurta's in Texas and Colorado.
    • richardgarza1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        Dear Miss Hurta,
        You don't say what counties you're interested in. There used to
        be a Hurta pharmacy in Bellville, Austin County. But the cemetery book
        shows no Hurtas buried there.
        Tell us about your Hurtas - where they may have lived, names or
        stories you've heard, etc. You may get more answers that way.
        Rick Garza
        Sharing. It's what it's all about!
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~texasczechs/

        "Austin County = Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas"

        On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:36:41 -0000 "mhhurta" <mhhurta@...>
        writes:

        > I'm looking for any information on the Hurta's in Texas and
        > Colorado.

        Get your name as your email address.
      • mike hurta
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
          My name is Michael Hurta and I would like to thank you for your response. I'm looking for information on Joseph Frank Hurta born in Wensclovic Schlesion, Austria and died in Palacios, Tx. He was married to Katrazina Muscial born in Biesadki Poland and she also died in Palacios, Tx. They came to this country on the ship Koeln arriving Galveston, Tx on July 8th 1906. All I know about Joseph is that he was found huge. I have not been able to find out any information on the circumstances about his death.

          My father was John Robert Hurta (Bob) who died Nov. 18th 2003. He was born in Starkville, Colorado. He was married to Mary Lou Hedgpeth. His father was Tony Hurta also born in Starkville, Colorado and died Sep 22 1997. Tony was married to Betty (Bambina) DeLorenzo who died Mar. 25 2004. More information can be found at genealogy.com under The Hurta's and Hedgpeth. Any information you can provide will be helpful.

          Thanks
          Mike

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
            Hi Mike,
            Thanks for the info.
            A couple of things come to mind quickly. The first town you
            mention, Wensclovic, in Silesia (Schlesien, Slezsko), may be a corrupted
            spelling. I've tried searching for it in the JewishGen ShtetlSeeker to no
            avail. Was the source for this name a handwritten note?
            The ShtetlSeeker also shows several villages that have a spelling
            similar to your second village, Biesadki. The ShetlSeeker shows one
            village that is about 148 miles South of Warsaw, which puts it into the
            Province of Upper Silesia - a likely candidate for you. You may want to
            visit an LDS (Mormon Church) Family History Center and look at a
            gazetteer in search of these villages. They should have a copy of "Meyers
            Orts- und Verkehrslexikon des Deutschen Reiches, 1912" in the library.
            Best source for villages in the Sudetenlands.
            Web info on Silesia is available at www.genealogienetz.de (for
            Sudetenland), as well as a short FAQ for Silesia on:
            http://stek.customer.netspace.net.au/FAQ.htm
            And, the folks at the Polish Genealogical Society of Texas
            http://www.pgst.org/ may have more suggestions.
            If Frank (Franz, Frantisek?) and Katrazina were married in
            Europe, you may want to start your search with her village. Quite often
            marriages during this time were within a 10-mile radius of the bride and
            groom's village.
            As was common for many Texas Czech immigrants, they usually
            traveled with family or friends, and headed to a town here where they
            knew someone. Have you tried to find out if Palacios (Matagorda County)
            had a newspaper at the time that Joseph hung himself. There may have been
            a news article about his death that would give you further clues.
            Courthouse records may also be available.
            Did you recognize any other names on the 1906 passenger list?
            Hopefully, some of the members on this list with Hurta kin will
            respond.
            Rick Garza

            On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:46:04 -0700 "mike hurta" <mhhurta@...>
            writes:
[...]