Bevo, and history for Big Bertha

  • Leroy
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004

      Drumbeat of history
      Big Bertha's BOOM has sounded in football stadiums, Carnegie Hall and the movies for 80 years

      By Mike Conklin
      Tribune staff reporter
      Published December 31, 2002

      The University of Chicago's last, high-profile link to past football glory still beats strong, shows no signs of slowing despite nearly 80 years of pounding and will be on display Wednesday in the Cotton Bowl in Dallas when Texas plays LSU.

      That honor belongs to Big Bertha, "world's largest bass drum," a part of the University of Texas marching band since 1955.

      Big Bertha has made appearances at Longhorn games for so long that few can recall when it wasn't part of the school's gridiron history. Fewer realize the same drum once served as a symbol for a University of Chicago program equally glorious.

      Along the way, this one-note instrument has been a virtual symphony of experiences. It has appeared at Radio City Music Hall; performed with legendary conductor Arturo Toscanini in Carnegie Hall; was cast in a movie; and, just for good measure, got dusted for radioactivity. All this was before a rich Texas oilman--owner of the Texas Book Depository in Dallas in 1963, by the way--bought it for the Longhorns at a bargain basement price.

      The drum, 8 feet high and 54 inches wide, rises to 10 feet in height on the small, wheeled cart needed to maneuver it during appearances with the Texas marching band, making it highly visible even in cavernous stadiums. A half-dozen drum keepers are assigned to those events, according to Jerry Junkin, director of the university's band program, and the instrument is as identifiable with Longhorn football for some as the UT mascot, Bevo the steer.

      "Big Bertha is at all the home football games, and sometimes we take it on the road," said Junkin. "It's the first thing entering the stadium when the pageantry gets started. Just the sight of it is exciting for our fans and gets everyone in the stadium energized. It's a major attraction at Texas."

      Difficult to believe this very same instrument once had the same role at the University of Chicago campus, where it made its debut Oct. 28, 1922, at Stagg Field. Those were days when football games played by the Maroons, then one of the most powerful collegiate programs in the country and members of the prestigious Big Ten Conference, always were in the national spotlight.

      On Big Bertha's first appearance, an overflow crowd of 33,000 (there were numerous arrests for ticket scalping) came to see Chicago face Princeton, which was top-ranked in the East and had never before played this far west in football. The Ivy League school won, so the appearance of the spectacular musical instrument provided some degree of solace for the Maroons. Only one other school, Purdue, had a drum similar in size; it had been introduced a year earlier.

      "Something like this was very much in keeping with what was taking place then at the University of Chicago," said Robin Lester, a historian, alum and author of "Stagg's University: The Rise, Decline, and Fall of Big-Time Football at Chicago." "Amos Alonzo Stagg [the coach] was brilliant, but he also knew how to promote and go for the kill commercially too."

      The biggest hides

      Big Bertha was built specially for the Maroon band by alum Carl D. Greenleaf, owner of C.G. Conn Ltd., a leading manufacturer of music instruments in Elkhart, Ind., and who was a musician at the school. He also donated 100 other instruments, each bearing an engraving of the university seal.

      Big Bertha was named for a German cannon used in World War I. The largest animal hides that could be found in Chicago's stockyards were located before measurements for the drum shell were determined. Part of a wall had to be removed at the Conn manufacturing plant just to get the drum outside the building.

      Not only was Big Bertha a star at University of Chicago home football contests, the band took it on the road for at least one game per season, provided suitable railroad cars could be located. At Michigan, news accounts say the drum was too big to get into the stadium's ground-level entrance and had to be lifted over the top. The university had pep bands since 1898, but their sizes and appearances at the Maroon football games grew both in number and creativity with the football team's success under Stagg. The bands' then-pioneering maneuvers on the field included balloons, confetti, singing and spelling of letters.

      "A lot of people at the University of Chicago simply refuse to believe that Stagg and his teams were the most famous part of the school almost from the time he arrived in the 1890s to when he left," said Lester. "They want to present this intellectual image and that it's always been this way. Not true. The drum was a big attraction, but it sort of became a carnival-like feature later in the 1930s when teams didn't do as well there."

      In 1938, the drum got shipped to New York in a special car provided by the Pennsylvania Railroad. Bertha beat a single note in an NBC Symphony Orchestra presentation of Verdi's "Requiem" in Carnegie Hall, directed by Toscanini. The legendary conductor was unable to find a drum anywhere in the East to satisfy him, and he acted on a suggestion by someone who'd heard it pounded in Chicago.

      When the university dropped football in 1939 as part of an overall de-emphasis of sports at the school, the marching band was dispersed, and equipment no longer in use -- including Big Bertha -- went into storage under Stagg Field's west stands. This was adjacent to where scientist Enrico Fermi was busy creating the first nuclear chain reaction as part of the Manhattan Project.

      The university's magazine happily reported in 1946 that Big Bertha passed a Geiger test for radioactivity after it was feared the drum was contaminated from its proximity to Fermi's work.

      A movie role

      In 1952, the drum was cast in the movie of famed bandmaster John Philip Sousa's life, "Stars & Stripes Forever," starring Clifton Webb, Debra Paget and Robert Wagner. "This is a drum with some history," noted Josh Schonwald, a news service director at the university.

      The university bands sputtered in the 1950s until Louis Lason, a professional director from nearby Calumet High School as well as the Chicago Fire Department band, was hired to organize a concert group in 1955.

      It was the hope to have Big Bertha make appearances with the new band, but the drum had been shipped back to its maker in Indiana. So how did it end up in the Lone Star state?

      Col. D. Harold "Dry Hole" Byrd, a wealthy Texas wildcat oilman with numerous holdings, including the Texas Depository Building from which Lee Harvey Oswald would one day shoot President John F. Kennedy, was a huge booster of the Longhorn bands at the time. And, well, being a Texan, he wanted the "biggest and loudest" drum that could be found, according to former UT music director Moton Crockett.

      "Nobody was making anything as large as he wanted," recalled Crockett, 79, "so a music company I was dealing with found out Conn had this big one in storage. They didn't want me to buy it until I saw it. I arranged to do that just before Christmas in 1954, when I had to be in Chicago.

      "The people I met at Conn said they couldn't give it to me because the University of Indiana wanted it, but they could sell it to me--for $1. So we strapped that sucker into a trailer I'd rented with my car, and I drove it back to Texas by myself. Took me two days."

      A new life in Texas

      Crockett had no idea why the company didn't want the drum to go to Indiana and it would be speculation to think Greenleaf, still alive then, didn't want it around as a reminder of Chicago's past musical--and athletic--glory. But the Texan was sure of this: "Col. Byrd was real pleased."

      It took several months of reconditioning to get Big Bertha in shape, according to Crockett, and its debut was made with much fanfare in time for the 1955 football season. The drum has been overhauled twice since arriving in Austin, survived one crash in which the trailer carrying it to Dallas overturned in a ditch and has a permanent home in the university's band hall.

      Big Bertha made a return trip north in 1991 to a homecoming football game at the University of Chicago, where the sport was revived at a non-scholarship, small-college level in 1969.

      The occasion this time was to help celebrate the university's centennial anniversary festivities and, despite the big drum's long, colorful journey back to Stagg Field, some things hadn't changed. The Maroons lost this football game against Case Western Reserve, just as they did in 1922 against Princeton in the drum's debut.

      Its new home in Texas has been more productive. With Big Bertha pounding away in the background, the Longhorns have been a perennial power, and the New Year's Day appearance will be their 34th bowl game since her arrival.

      Bertha may be big, but is it biggest?

      Is Texas' Big Bertha really the world's largest bass drum? You'll get a resounding "no" to that question at Purdue, where Boilermaker followers will tell you their Big Bass Drum (BBD) used by the university's All-American marching band is larger.

      Both schools are coy about exact measurements for their drums, not wanting to risk losing the bragging rights for having the biggest, but past news accounts seem to give Texas a slight edge over Purdue. Both drums are a little over 10 feet high mounted on their wheels, but archived stories put Big Bertha at an actual 8 feet high and 54 inches wide, while Purdue's BBD is 8 feet high and 48 inches wide.

      However, Purdue enthusiasts say the title belongs to them ever since -- they contend -- Texas ducked a "drum-off" in 1961, thereby forfeiting any claim. The occasion was a national convention for the Kappa Kappa Psi musical fraternity in Wichita, Kan., when the Boilermaker chapter challenged the Longhorn chapter to bring their drum to the event for a measurement.

      "We brought ours, but they didn't bring theirs," said Kathy Matter, a spokeswoman for Purdue's music department. "Ever since then, we've got the biggest bass drum as far as we're concerned, and we will continue to say so -- at least until we get the drums next to each other and find out for sure."

      The obvious opportunity would be a Purdue-Texas football game, but that hasn't happened since 1951, before the Longhorns band acquired Big Bertha. "For a while, one football bowl scenario this season had us playing Texas in the Alamo Bowl, and we got pretty excited over that possibility," said Matter, "but it didn't materialize."

      Instead, Purdue plays New Year's Eve against Washington in the Sun Bowl, and Texas plays on New Year's Day in the Cotton Bowl against LSU. Other than the possibility of bowl games, the schools' football teams are not scheduled to meet each other in the foreseeable future.

      As far as Jerry Junkin, director of the University of Texas band program is concerned, there should be no debate about which school's drum is larger. "I've stood next to both of them," he said, "and there's no question -- ours is bigger."

      But if Texas wins that argument, Purdue can always say size doesn't matter: Its BBD is still older than Big Bertha by a year, having been purchased -- and introduced -- by the school in 1921. This is one year before Bertha's debut, when the University of Chicago, marched it onto a football field at a game with Princeton.

      "The story is," said Matter, "that Chicago felt it had to have one after playing Purdue [in football] the year before and seeing our drum. We can always say ours was the inspiration for theirs."

      -- Mike Conklin

      Copyright © 2002, Chicago Tribune

    • Leroy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004

        http://www.czechs.org

        Vítáme Vás!

        St. Mary’s Catholic Church
        Parish Picnic
        Sunday, September 5th
        High Hill, Texas
        Music During Day
        Texas Sound Czech & The Dujka Brothers

        Shiner Catholic Church Picnic
        Sunday, September 5th
        Legion Park
        Shiner, Texas
        Music
        Shiner Hobo Band / Hoffmann Kickin’ Polka
        Bill Pekar / The Emotions

        Annual Feast
        St. John’s ~ Fayetteville, Texas
        Sunday, September 5th
        Fayetteville, Texas

        29th annual Westfest

        West, Texas

        Labor Day weekend

      • George Patrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
          It took a Czech, Dan Zabcik, Class of 1993, to come up with an answer to the
          long-standing controversy: "Where did Bevo get his name?". Thought you
          might enjoy this?

          George of Austin
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2004
            Message
            Thanks for posting this Leroy.  I've really enjoyed going to these church picnics since moving to the "country".  We never know anybody, but have a great time just listening to music, playing games and eating great food.  This looks to be a great weekend with lots of activities.

            Cindy Neal
            Delhi, Texas