Re: [TexasCzechs] Hurta's

  • mike hurta
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27 9:55 PM
      Thanks for the info. I will check the names and if they are related I will write and let you know. Again thanks.

      Mike
      Funeral Home. Graveside services will be 10AM, Thursday, March 25, 2004
      at Brookside Memorial Park.

      Published in the Houston Chronicle on 3/23/2004.

    • mhhurta
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        I'm looking for any information on the Hurta's in Texas and Colorado.
      • richardgarza1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          Dear Miss Hurta,
          You don't say what counties you're interested in. There used to
          be a Hurta pharmacy in Bellville, Austin County. But the cemetery book
          shows no Hurtas buried there.
          Tell us about your Hurtas - where they may have lived, names or
          stories you've heard, etc. You may get more answers that way.
          Rick Garza
          Sharing. It's what it's all about!
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~texasczechs/

          "Austin County = Birthplace of Czech Immigration to Texas"

          On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:36:41 -0000 "mhhurta" <mhhurta@...>
          writes:

          > I'm looking for any information on the Hurta's in Texas and
          > Colorado.

          Get your name as your email address.
        • mike hurta
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
            My name is Michael Hurta and I would like to thank you for your response. I'm looking for information on Joseph Frank Hurta born in Wensclovic Schlesion, Austria and died in Palacios, Tx. He was married to Katrazina Muscial born in Biesadki Poland and she also died in Palacios, Tx. They came to this country on the ship Koeln arriving Galveston, Tx on July 8th 1906. All I know about Joseph is that he was found huge. I have not been able to find out any information on the circumstances about his death.

            My father was John Robert Hurta (Bob) who died Nov. 18th 2003. He was born in Starkville, Colorado. He was married to Mary Lou Hedgpeth. His father was Tony Hurta also born in Starkville, Colorado and died Sep 22 1997. Tony was married to Betty (Bambina) DeLorenzo who died Mar. 25 2004. More information can be found at genealogy.com under The Hurta's and Hedgpeth. Any information you can provide will be helpful.

            Thanks
            Mike

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2004
              Hi Mike,
              Thanks for the info.
              A couple of things come to mind quickly. The first town you
              mention, Wensclovic, in Silesia (Schlesien, Slezsko), may be a corrupted
              spelling. I've tried searching for it in the JewishGen ShtetlSeeker to no
              avail. Was the source for this name a handwritten note?
              The ShtetlSeeker also shows several villages that have a spelling
              similar to your second village, Biesadki. The ShetlSeeker shows one
              village that is about 148 miles South of Warsaw, which puts it into the
              Province of Upper Silesia - a likely candidate for you. You may want to
              visit an LDS (Mormon Church) Family History Center and look at a
              gazetteer in search of these villages. They should have a copy of "Meyers
              Orts- und Verkehrslexikon des Deutschen Reiches, 1912" in the library.
              Best source for villages in the Sudetenlands.
              Web info on Silesia is available at www.genealogienetz.de (for
              Sudetenland), as well as a short FAQ for Silesia on:
              http://stek.customer.netspace.net.au/FAQ.htm
              And, the folks at the Polish Genealogical Society of Texas
              http://www.pgst.org/ may have more suggestions.
              If Frank (Franz, Frantisek?) and Katrazina were married in
              Europe, you may want to start your search with her village. Quite often
              marriages during this time were within a 10-mile radius of the bride and
              groom's village.
              As was common for many Texas Czech immigrants, they usually
              traveled with family or friends, and headed to a town here where they
              knew someone. Have you tried to find out if Palacios (Matagorda County)
              had a newspaper at the time that Joseph hung himself. There may have been
              a news article about his death that would give you further clues.
              Courthouse records may also be available.
              Did you recognize any other names on the 1906 passenger list?
              Hopefully, some of the members on this list with Hurta kin will
              respond.
              Rick Garza

              On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 07:46:04 -0700 "mike hurta" <mhhurta@...>
              writes:
[...]