Re: Pamatnik Book

  • richardgarza1
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi Janie,
      That's a branch or chapter of the Czech National Association. The
      CNS was a society that was started after WWI to help raise funds for
      the new, struggling nation of Czechoslovakia get on her feet.
      Fundraisers were held throughout the country.
      Photographs were taken in the towns where fundraisers were held and
      the people who donated money were photographed and listed in the
      souvenir book (pamatnik) with their names and amounts given.
      Which picture or town is named in the copy you have?
      Rick Garza

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek@w...> wrote:
      > I have a picture that appeared in the book entitled Pamatnik. What
      > does Odbocka C. N. S. mean?
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Janie Bucek
    • jbucek2001
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 3, 2004
        Dear Rick,

        Thanks for the information. I have a picture of the Velehrad
        residents. My husband and I are researching the history of the
        Velehrad Cemetery and Lodge Hall. A local resident of the community
        gave us the photo. Later I found out that the photo appeared in the
        Pamatnik book.

        Janie Bucek
      • rpetrusek
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 4, 2004
          Rick:

          This e-mail reminded me, that as a boy I recall that my father had a coin, which he kept in his desk.  It was about the size of a silver dollar and as best I can remember the inscription on it was to the effect that "Czechoslovakia will one day be free again" and the engraving had a man shown in chains.  It was gold colored or possibly made out of brass.
          I regret now that I never ask my father about the coin.

          I was wondering if anyone else has seen a similar coin or would know the back ground on the coin.  I do not know if was in response to a donation or was given to my father.  Unfortunately, I do not know what happened to the coin.

          Reuben.

            That's a branch or chapter of the Czech National Association. The
          CNS was a society that was started after WWI to help raise funds for
          the new, struggling nation of Czechoslovakia get on her feet.
          Fundraisers were held throughout the country.
            Photographs were taken in the towns where fundraisers were held and
          the people who donated money were photographed and listed in the
          souvenir book (pamatnik) with their names and amounts given.
            Which picture or town is named in the copy you have?
          Rick Garza

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek@w...> wrote:
          > I have a picture that appeared in the book entitled Pamatnik.  What
          > does Odbocka C. N. S. mean?

          > Thank you.
          >
          > Janie Bucek

        • Cindy Neal
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 5, 2004
            Message
            Comment I found online about the coin:  "What is a bit odd, though, is that the inscriptions are partly in Czech (pravda zvitezi, ie. the truth will prevail, and the country name), partly in English (the date, and the Czechoslovakia shall be free again motto). Guess the piece was issued by/for Czechoslovakians in exile..."

            Here's a picture

            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 24, 2011
              What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
              Janie Bucek
            • Joe Janecka
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 26, 2011
                Janie,

                I haven't seen an answer to your question.  Maybe this website will help.

                Joe

                What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
                Janie Bucek

              • Julie & Wes Matus
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011
                  Wow, there is a lot of history in that book!
                  Julie

                  --
                  Researching:
                  Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala

                • jerry

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011

                      Jerry,

                      I don't think there is an English version.  I had heard that perhaps the Czech Heritage Society was having this book translated, but I have no details on this.  A lot of the text is just the names of the officers and members.  You can copy the remaining text into the Google translate and it should give you a fair translation.

                      Accordingly, the book was published by "The National Printing Company" of Rosenburg, Texas.  (I doubt if they exist anymore.) The book was put together by Joseph Bunata fo Ennis, Texas.  (See "Credits" on page 2)

                      Joe

                      Is there an english version of this book??  If so where can it be purchased
                      jerry

                      What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
                      Janie Bucek

                      --
                      Researching:
                      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                      =======
                      http://free.pctools.com
                      =======
                    • tjslansky
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011

                        All who know about the Patmatnik Book.

                        I have copies of the information for the El Campo Lodge pp 130-132 with the picture.  The name of my mother's father, Peter Stepan is listed with eight children; my mother would had been nine years of age. The problem is this is a very large group of persons in the picture.  It is hard to recognize anyone.

                        I am wondering if anyone might have a original picture of the El Campo Lodge gathering. I would like to get a Good Photo copy, not a paper copy.

                        Thanks,

                        TJ Slansky

                        I don't think there is an English version.  I had heard that perhaps the Czech Heritage Society was having this book translated, but I have no details on this.  A lot of the text is just the names of the officers and members.  You can copy the remaining text into the Google translate and it should give you a fair translation.

                        Accordingly, the book was published by "The National Printing Company" of Rosenburg, Texas.  (I doubt if they exist anymore.) The book was put together by Joseph Bunata fo Ennis, Texas.  (See "Credits" on page 2)

                        Joe

                        .

                      • Richard and Judy Smith
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 27, 2011

                          I received this today.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 29, 2011

                            I also found my grandfather and grandmother.  I was surprised to fine both my father and uncle.  They were only about 13-16  years old at the time.  I guess they even accepted children into the local organization.

                            Joe

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 29, 2016
                              Does anyone know where online I can view the Pamatnik Project Book?  I know I saw it online years ago and I see that I saw that the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International have translated a Pamatnik book and was wondering if it is the same book. I still want to see the original.  Anyone with info. please let me know.
                              Lisa
                            • Lisa A. Redman
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                              Does anyone know where the original Pamatnik Book is located or who is in possession of it?  I am sure you all know the one.... it has a tattered Black cover. I will try to attach a pic to this message.
                              Lisa

                              From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                              To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:10:25 -0600

                              Message 15 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                                I have a copy. It is in very poor shape but all pages are there. I can make limited scans if you know exactly what you are looking for. It is too fragile to make extensive copies. Let me know which area you are interested in and I can scan for you.

                                Cindy Neal

                                Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:23 AM
                                Subject: RE: [TexasCzechs] Pamatnik Book [1 Attachment]

                                From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:10:25 -0600

                                Does anyone know where online I can view the Pamatnik Project Book?  I know I saw it online years ago and I see that I saw that the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International have translated a Pamatnik book and was wondering if it is the same book. I still want to see the original.  Anyone with info. please let me know.
                                Lisa

                                No virus found in this message.

                              • Lisa Redman
                                Message 16 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                                  Thank you!  I will look to see what I need and let you know.  How did you get a copy of that book?

                                  Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:23 AM

                                  From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                  To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:10:25 -0600

                                  Does anyone know where online I can view the Pamatnik Project Book?  I know I saw it online years ago and I see that I saw that the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International have translated a Pamatnik book and was wondering if it is the same book. I still want to see the original.  Anyone with info. please let me know.
                                  Lisa

                                  No virus found in this message.

                                • lisaaredman
                                  Message 17 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                                    Message 18 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                                      I got it from a gentleman in the Czech Republic who found it in his father’s attic when they were doing some remodeling. He could not figure out why it was there, since it was published in Texas. Just lucky!

                                      Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 8:40 AM

                                      Message 19 of 28 , Mar 1, 2016
                                        That is quite lucky!
                                      • pat.elleven@gmail.com
                                        Message 20 of 28 , Mar 5, 2016
                                          Pamatnik Book Scans FOUND!

                                          I tried google cache for the Pamatnik Book and it showed text of the old site but no images.
                                          But it had an old email address to the owner of the original site so I contacted him.
                                          Lo and behold, it was still good. He has no plans to put the images back online on a new site but he suggested the Wayback Machine.

                                          All the scans are there!

                                          I would urge you to download pages that concern your family - you never know!
                                          I found all sorts of relatives listed. Not very many had their photos though.

                                          Go to the top page to get to other defunct webpages

                                          Hope this helps!

                                          Pat Elleven

                                          1a. Re: Pamatnik Book
                                             Posted by: "Lisa A. Redman" lisaaredman@... lisaaredman
                                             Date: Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:23 am ((PST))

                                          Message 21 of 28 , Mar 5, 2016
                                            Thank you Pat.  That is great.

                                            Joe

                                               Date: Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:23 am ((PST))

                                            Does anyone know where the original Pamatnik Book is located or who is in possession of it?  I am sure you all know the one.... it has a tattered Black cover. I will try to attach a pic to this message.  Lisa

                                          • Lydia Mousner
                                            Message 22 of 28 , Mar 5, 2016
                                              Thanks, Pat!!

                                                 Date: Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:23 am ((PST))

                                                   Date: Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:23 am ((PST))

                                                Does anyone know where the original Pamatnik Book is located or who is in possession of it?  I am sure you all know the one.... it has a tattered Black cover. I will try to attach a pic to this message.  Lisa

                                              • Patricia Mercincavage
                                                Message 24 of 28 , Mar 6, 2016
                                                  Thank you so much, Pat!!

                                                  To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

                                                     Date: Tue Mar 1, 2016 6:23 am ((PST))

                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Mar 20, 2016
                                                    Just an update on the Pamatnik Project scanned pages... I was able to save every page to my computer except page 102 (the photo page for West, TX).  It says that page is not on the server...

                                                    Lisa
                                                  • lisaaredman
                                                    Message 26 of 28 , Mar 20, 2016
                                                      Cindy,

                                                      I was able to save all of the scanned pages for the Pamatnik book (from the Wayback Machine) except page 102 (Page 102 - Odbocka C.N.S. ve West, Texas).  Could you scan that page for me?  I will then have the entire book saved,... as far as I know.

                                                      You can send it to lisaaredman@....

                                                      Thanks,

                                                      Lisa

                                                    • T J Slansky
                                                      Message 27 of 28 , Mar 20, 2016

                                                        Lisa and Cindy

                                                        I just checked Rootsweb, the sever is back on line.

                                                        https://web.archive.org/web/20080112095252/http:/freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~czech/pamatnik.html

                                                        It seems page 102 is not available, checked pp 101 and 103 and they are available.

                                                        This email is safe. www.avast.com