Re: Pamatnik Book

  • richardgarza1
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi Janie,
      That's a branch or chapter of the Czech National Association. The
      CNS was a society that was started after WWI to help raise funds for
      the new, struggling nation of Czechoslovakia get on her feet.
      Fundraisers were held throughout the country.
      Photographs were taken in the towns where fundraisers were held and
      the people who donated money were photographed and listed in the
      souvenir book (pamatnik) with their names and amounts given.
      Which picture or town is named in the copy you have?
      Rick Garza

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek@w...> wrote:
      > I have a picture that appeared in the book entitled Pamatnik. What
      > does Odbocka C. N. S. mean?
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Janie Bucek
    • jbucek2001
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2004
        Dear Rick,

        Thanks for the information. I have a picture of the Velehrad
        residents. My husband and I are researching the history of the
        Velehrad Cemetery and Lodge Hall. A local resident of the community
        gave us the photo. Later I found out that the photo appeared in the
        Pamatnik book.

        Janie Bucek
      • rpetrusek
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2004
          Rick:

          This e-mail reminded me, that as a boy I recall that my father had a coin, which he kept in his desk.  It was about the size of a silver dollar and as best I can remember the inscription on it was to the effect that "Czechoslovakia will one day be free again" and the engraving had a man shown in chains.  It was gold colored or possibly made out of brass.
          I regret now that I never ask my father about the coin.

          I was wondering if anyone else has seen a similar coin or would know the back ground on the coin.  I do not know if was in response to a donation or was given to my father.  Unfortunately, I do not know what happened to the coin.

          Reuben.

            That's a branch or chapter of the Czech National Association. The
          CNS was a society that was started after WWI to help raise funds for
          the new, struggling nation of Czechoslovakia get on her feet.
          Fundraisers were held throughout the country.
            Photographs were taken in the towns where fundraisers were held and
          the people who donated money were photographed and listed in the
          souvenir book (pamatnik) with their names and amounts given.
            Which picture or town is named in the copy you have?
          Rick Garza

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "jbucek2001" <jbucek@w...> wrote:
          > I have a picture that appeared in the book entitled Pamatnik.  What
          > does Odbocka C. N. S. mean?

          > Thank you.
          >
          > Janie Bucek

        • Cindy Neal
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2004
            Message
            Comment I found online about the coin:  "What is a bit odd, though, is that the inscriptions are partly in Czech (pravda zvitezi, ie. the truth will prevail, and the country name), partly in English (the date, and the Czechoslovakia shall be free again motto). Guess the piece was issued by/for Czechoslovakians in exile..."

            Here's a picture

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 24, 2011
              What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
              Janie Bucek
            • Joe Janecka
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 26, 2011
                Janie,

                I haven't seen an answer to your question.  Maybe this website will help.

                Joe

                What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
                Janie Bucek

              • Julie & Wes Matus
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 27, 2011
                  Wow, there is a lot of history in that book!
                  Julie

                  --
                  Researching:
                  Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala

                • jerry
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 27, 2011
                    Is there an english version of this book??  If so where can it be purchased
                    jerry

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 27, 2011

                      Jerry,

                      I don't think there is an English version.  I had heard that perhaps the Czech Heritage Society was having this book translated, but I have no details on this.  A lot of the text is just the names of the officers and members.  You can copy the remaining text into the Google translate and it should give you a fair translation.

                      Accordingly, the book was published by "The National Printing Company" of Rosenburg, Texas.  (I doubt if they exist anymore.) The book was put together by Joseph Bunata fo Ennis, Texas.  (See "Credits" on page 2)

                      Joe

                      Is there an english version of this book??  If so where can it be purchased
                      jerry

                      What is the title of this book? I know the book was published in Rosenberg in 1920. I need the name of the publisher. Who was the editor for this book? Thanks!
                      Janie Bucek

                      --
                      Researching:
                      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                      =======
                      http://free.pctools.com
                      =======
                    • tjslansky
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 27, 2011

                        All who know about the Patmatnik Book.

                        I have copies of the information for the El Campo Lodge pp 130-132 with the picture.  The name of my mother's father, Peter Stepan is listed with eight children; my mother would had been nine years of age. The problem is this is a very large group of persons in the picture.  It is hard to recognize anyone.

                        I am wondering if anyone might have a original picture of the El Campo Lodge gathering. I would like to get a Good Photo copy, not a paper copy.

                        Thanks,

                        TJ Slansky

                        I don't think there is an English version.  I had heard that perhaps the Czech Heritage Society was having this book translated, but I have no details on this.  A lot of the text is just the names of the officers and members.  You can copy the remaining text into the Google translate and it should give you a fair translation.

                        Accordingly, the book was published by "The National Printing Company" of Rosenburg, Texas.  (I doubt if they exist anymore.) The book was put together by Joseph Bunata fo Ennis, Texas.  (See "Credits" on page 2)

                        Joe

                        .

                      • Richard and Judy Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 27, 2011

                          I received this today.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 29, 2011

                            I also found my grandfather and grandmother.  I was surprised to fine both my father and uncle.  They were only about 13-16  years old at the time.  I guess they even accepted children into the local organization.

                            Joe