Re: Praha Picnic

  • rebellous_99
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
      As far as I know, the picnic has been going on for some time, perhaps
      as long as the church's inception. Included with the death notice of
      John Zapalac, who passed way in July 1907, was this statement:

      Boys and girls remember Aug. 15th, the big day in Praha.

      Matt

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "j_carpenter76501"
      <j_carpenter76501@y...> wrote:
      > How many years has this picnic been going on? Is it every year on
      > August the 15th? I wish i could attend but i have to work Sundays.
      > hope those who attend it from the group have a good time.
      > Janet.
    • Janet Carpenter
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004

        <j_carpenter76501@y...> wrote:
        > How many years has this picnic been going on? Is it every year on
        > August the 15th? I wish i could attend but i have to work Sundays.
        > hope those who attend it from the group have a good time.
        > Janet.

        Thanks Matt.

        Janet.

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • rebellous_99
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004
          Janet,

          Further research on the Handbook of Texas Online indicates that the
          Feast of the Assumption has been celebrated on August 15 since 1855
          in Praha.

          Matt
        • Janet Carpenter
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004

            rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:

            Janet,

            Further research on the Handbook of Texas Online indicates that the
            Feast of the Assumption has been celebrated on August 15 since 1855
            in Praha.

            Matt

            Thanks again Matt.

            Janet.

            Do you Yahoo!?
          • Julie Matus
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
              Hello -

              The Praha picnic really had a very good crowd!!  They had great food and excellent music.  It was very hot though.  The highlight of the day was the rain that came at night, which cooled things down a bit.  But it did get rather stormy - lots of lightning and thunder along with the rains.  There was a home on Hwy 77 between Swiss Alp and Hostyn struck by lightning and it burned.  We saw it this morning, not knowing at the time when it happened.  At the funeral (my classmate, George Muras, 57) in Hostyn the men were talking about the house that was struck by lightning.  They commented that the weather was really vicious for a while last night.  Word is that nobody was hurt in the fire - the people were at home but managed to get out without injury, but from the way the house looked, it was pretty much destroyed.  There were reports of other places out there being struck by lightning.

              later, Julie

              Julie & Wes Matus

              Researching:
              Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
              Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
                I believe they sold over 5,000 plates that day.  But it was hot!