Praha Picnic

  • j_carpenter76501
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2004
      How many years has this picnic been going on? Is it every year on
      August the 15th? I wish i could attend but i have to work Sundays. I
      hope those who attend it from the group have a good time.
      Janet.
    • rebellous_99
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2004
        As far as I know, the picnic has been going on for some time, perhaps
        as long as the church's inception. Included with the death notice of
        John Zapalac, who passed way in July 1907, was this statement:

        Boys and girls remember Aug. 15th, the big day in Praha.

        Matt

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "j_carpenter76501"
        <j_carpenter76501@y...> wrote:
        > How many years has this picnic been going on? Is it every year on
        > August the 15th? I wish i could attend but i have to work Sundays.
        > hope those who attend it from the group have a good time.
        > Janet.
      • Janet Carpenter
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004

          <j_carpenter76501@y...> wrote:
          > How many years has this picnic been going on? Is it every year on
          > August the 15th? I wish i could attend but i have to work Sundays.
          > hope those who attend it from the group have a good time.
          > Janet.

          Thanks Matt.

          Janet.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • rebellous_99
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004
            Janet,

            Further research on the Handbook of Texas Online indicates that the
            Feast of the Assumption has been celebrated on August 15 since 1855
            in Praha.

            Matt
          • Janet Carpenter
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2004

              rebellous_99 <lennonluv@...> wrote:

              Janet,

              Further research on the Handbook of Texas Online indicates that the
              Feast of the Assumption has been celebrated on August 15 since 1855
              in Praha.

              Matt

              Thanks again Matt.

              Janet.

              Do you Yahoo!?
            • Julie Matus
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2008
                Hello -

                The Praha picnic really had a very good crowd!!  They had great food and excellent music.  It was very hot though.  The highlight of the day was the rain that came at night, which cooled things down a bit.  But it did get rather stormy - lots of lightning and thunder along with the rains.  There was a home on Hwy 77 between Swiss Alp and Hostyn struck by lightning and it burned.  We saw it this morning, not knowing at the time when it happened.  At the funeral (my classmate, George Muras, 57) in Hostyn the men were talking about the house that was struck by lightning.  They commented that the weather was really vicious for a while last night.  Word is that nobody was hurt in the fire - the people were at home but managed to get out without injury, but from the way the house looked, it was pretty much destroyed.  There were reports of other places out there being struck by lightning.

                later, Julie

                Julie & Wes Matus

                Researching:
                Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 20, 2008
                  I believe they sold over 5,000 plates that day.  But it was hot!