The Strangers in the Box - a gentle reminder

  • richardgarza1@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2004
      THE STRANGERS IN THE BOX

      Come, look with me inside this drawer,
      In this box I've often seen,
      At the pictures, black and white,
      Faces proud, still, serene.
      I wish I knew the people,
      These strangers in the box,
      Their names and all their memories
      Are lost among my socks.
      I wonder what their lives were like,
      How did they spend their days?
      What about their special times?
      I'll never know their ways.
      If only someone had taken time
      To tell who, what, where, or when,
      These faces of my heritage
      Would come to life again.
      Could this become the fate
      Of the pictures we take today?
      The faces and the memories
      Someday to be passed away?
      Make time to save your stories,
      Seize the opportunity when it knocks,
      Or someday you and yours could be.......
      The strangers in the box.

      --Anonymous Author
      .
      http://www.texasczechs.homestead.com/

      .

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • mrbkdb112@cs.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2004

        That was a beautiful poem, Richard, and so appropriate as I have in my possession about 40 vintage photos taken in the late 1800's...all wonderful, but no names and no clues. There  are photographers names but they are no longer in business. How I wish the photographers would have printed names on the pictures,since my relatives didn't feel the need. I guess they knew who they were and they would be very surprised at the interest their descendants have in them. They didn't realize that 3 or 5  generations later we wouldn't know them.

        I love the poem...thank you for sharing it with us.
        Millie.