Re: Looking for a Czech clerical person in the Corpus Christi area

  • werephish@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
      Getting back on topic, one Wendish tradition was for the bride to be
      dressed in black, to symbolize the harsh struggle in life ahead.
      This traidtion has fallen out of use, but who knows, maybe you could
      give it some recognition by say black ribbon around the bouquet or
      something?
    • Mary J Heard
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2004
        That tradition was observed by the Moravians here in Texas also. My
        grandmother, the third daughter in a family of 8 daughters and 4 sons was
        the first in the family to have a white wedding dress and veil. She was
        married in Burleson County in 1870. Her younger sisters also were married
        in white. The two older daughters had a very nice black dress that "was
        suitable for wearing to other events" where a "nice" dress was expected.

        Mary JKH
        mjhawhjr@...

        > Getting back on topic, one Wendish tradition was for the bride to be
        > dressed in black, to symbolize the harsh struggle in life ahead.
        > This traidtion has fallen out of use, but who knows, maybe you could
        > give it some recognition by say black ribbon around the bouquet or
        > something?

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Nangotoo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2004
           >>At the risk of getting off subject I feel that it will be helpful if I share some information in regard to your inquiry about the possibility of locating a Czech Priest or minister to perform a wedding in the Corpus Christi area.  I think that you will probably find it very difficult to find a Catholic Priest who will perform the ceremony.
              A Catholic Priest does not just marry somebody because the two parties want to be married. <<

          Most Protestant ministers will not marry someone off of the streets either or just because two people want to get married.  We had to attend 3 or 4 marriage classes where the minister gets to know the couple and counsels them.  He/she wants to be sure that the couple is prepared for marriage in the Christian tradition and knows what they are getting into and what their responsibilities in marriage are.  My husband and I were both baptized church members and we still had to go to classes with the pastor. Sio did my sisters when it was their turn to get married.  They had different ministers than we did.  That was 34 yrs ago for us.  I know that this happens in just about *every* denomination now.

          My niece and her fiance are getting married outside and not in a church.  They don't attend any church and therefore, do not know any ministers--even non-denominational ones.  They have looked and asked for a year and haven't been able to find a minister who will marry them. My sister married a man who is largely Native American, but not registered  in a tribe.  They have even tried to get a N.A. shaman to perform the ceremony and finally found one who is willing and who is also a justice of the peace, but most of them wouldn't do it without classes.  The wedding is in early July and they just found someone!  No Christian minister would touch it because neither one of them is baptized or a church attendee and neither one will express any strong beliefs.  So Carroll is correct not only about Catholics (which I was raised in, too), but about Protestant ministers, too.

          Sorry to throw another bit of bad news into, but that is what we have found.

          Nan