RE: [TexasCzechs] Looking for Czech clerical person in Corpus Christi area

  • Irene Mazoch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      This information was obtained from the CZECH REFLECTIONS - McLennon -Hill
      Chapter Czech Heritage Society

      CZECH WEDDING CUSTOMS-- Henrietta Cervenka

      It was customary in the old country and the custom was brought over to
      America, to pin a twig of rosemary (herb) tied with ribbon onto each
      wedding guest's clothing. Since rosemary was not available in Texas, cedar,
      which closely resembles the herbs, was substituted. Rosemary was a symbol
      of fertility that would hopefully bring the promise of many children to the
      married couple.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
        Hello,
        At the risk of bursting someone's bubble;
        The tradition here (in at least the last 100 years)
        for czechs has been a "religious service"-
        many times a Catholic Mass-And this would only be
        available to members of the community's churches.
        (Usually Catholic or Lutheran, with a few other Christians.)
        This helped to preserve the family life of the community.
        I suggest this couple find a community they like, move there,
        and begin to get accqainted with everyone-and go to church
        there. Then they will not have a problem finding someone to
        marry them. By the way, speaking for tradition, I hope this couple
        doesn't try to mix any czech traditions into anything presided
        over by some sort of pagan spirit guide...that would dishonor
        my czech traditions and offend me.
        JMSWilson

        "Anita Berka" <hookum@...> wrote:

        >I need to locate a Czech pastor (Protestant or Catholic) in the Corpus
        >Christi area to perform a wedding ceremony in late October. If you have any
        >recommendations, please forward them to me at hookum@.... The bride
        >and groom, who are from Central Texas, don't have a minister or priest, so
        >thought they'd try to find someone local. They are planning a very small
        >wedding and thought it would be nice if the celebrant was Czech since
        >they're both Czech, and they're trying to incorporate a few Czech/Moravian
        >touches/traditions.
        >
        >Also, if anyone knows of any Czech/Moravian wedding traditions or customs,
        >please let me know and I'll pass it on. I think I remember one about the
        >bride wearing a rosemary wreath, but can't recall the significance right off
        >the top of my head. Seems like I've read something about what the bride's
        >bouquet contains too, but maybe I'm wrong.
        >
        >Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance!
        >
        >Anita in Caldwell
        >hookum@...

        >MSN Toolbar provides one-click access to Hotmail from any Web page – FREE
        >download! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200413ave/direct/01/
        >

        >Remember: You can alway set your account to Digest Mode for less mail.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

      • D1JEZEK@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2004
          somewhere i have an old newpaper clipping about Czech wedding traditions and there are plenty of things that are more or less 'secular' and would not require a minister.  i'll have to dig it up but from what i remember a wedding involves several days of the groom's people and bride's people travelling back and forth bringing each other food and having different kinds of parties much like our bridal showers bachelor parties.  Then on the day of the wedding the bride's family hides her in the house, sometimes even putting her in the attic, so that when the groom and his men show up a scene plays out in which he has to cajole her family into giving her up.  i think that sounds fun.  my Grammaw told me that the top layer of the wedding cake was something like a fruitcake that has been soaked in liquor so that it will keep for years and the couple eat a part of it on their anniversaries until its gone.