Stallmach and etc.

  • Mary J Heard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2004
      Jak se mas, Friends and Kin,

      Judy, Sir John, and others, it looks as though we are related along more lines than just the Mikeskas and the Supaks.  Anna Stallmach (check that spelling, Sir John;  that is the German spelling and at that time all documentations in the Czech lands had to be written in the German language even though the Moravians and Bohemians spelled it with one L ) married Georg Krajca, no dates.  This couple were the parents of Tomas Krajca born 3 July 1804 in house # 6 in the village of Lutonina.  This is the Tomas Krajca who brought his family to Texas in 1855; my gggfather.  His mother Anna would have been my ggggmother.  She was born in Chrasteshov, a neighboring village, to Jakob Stallmach and his wife.  Tomas did not have any brothers, I cannot say for sure about sisters.  When he brought the family in 1855 there were 20 other families with them from the surrounding area, many of whom were relatives; however, I have no specific names for anyone in the group.  I have the original baptismal records for Tomas Krajca, his wife Anna Matiak and their 4 children, all in German.

      Now there is a Jan Chrastecka born in the village of Chrastechov that figures into the Jan and Katerina Kocurek families of Fayette, Burleson, and Lee counties.  It is a bit complicated but if anyone is interested I will email information as an attachment to their personal email address.

      About the spelling of names.  As I mentioned above, except for the Roman Catholic Church records which were generally in Latin, all documentations, both civil and church were in the German language at the insistence of the Austro-Hungarian Empire during the years that the Bohemians and Moravians were
      subject to their rule.  They, the Hapsburg Empire rulers, wanted to be able to read those records and know what was going on.  In addition, the writing was in the old German Gothic script.  Easy enough to say, however you have to remember that this was not the native language of the Czech scribes and clerks and they had their difficulties with the writing and with the language itself.  Thus, you will find a mix of the old German script and the (Latin) script in use today and there will also be errors, you can depend on it.  The Catholic Church records should be in better shape as Latin has always been the language they used.

      More about the spelling of names.  The spelling of names (and words) did not really settle into a standardized form until the 1880's and 1890's so don't be misled by a slightly different but phonically equivalent spelling.  Some names can tolerate more "creative" spellings than others and some change not at all.  This is why we try to record any and all additional information, dates and places, etc., about those names we turn up in our research.

      Happy Hunting,

      Mary JKH