Re: [TexasCzechs] Genealogy Book Recommendations, Prosím

  • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
    Message 1 of 6 , May 6, 2004
      Best way to start is to write down everything you already know, and
      you'll surprise yourself with how much that is. Parents, aunts, uncles,
      cousins, grandparents, grandaunts and uncles, second cousins, etc.

      I definitely recommend a genealogy program, but some are better than
      others. I prefer RootsMagic, (http://www.rootsmagic.com). A new
      version is just now being released.

      I'd avoid paying for information, as most of it is a scam. Research in
      Czechoslovakia will cost, and I'd go with recommendations from the list
      here on people that are reputable. But that's "on down the road". For
      now, fill in as much information as you already know, and talk to as
      many living relatives as you can. They too will "remember" more than
      they think they do once they get started.

      I started off, much like yourself, a little over 15 years ago, and
      didn't think I knew much at all, but lo and behold, I remembered more
      than I thought, my sister helped with that which I had forgotten, and
      then aunts and uncles started popping up, and family bibles, and
      newspaper articles, (mostly obits) with more names, and today, I have a
      database of over 8,000 relatives. You will too, and it's a great legacy
      to leave your family. I wish someone had done all of this before
      everyone died off, a lot has been lost forever. But I've been able to
      preserve much more that would have been lost in a few more generations.

      Like I say, it's a great legacy to leave behind, and it's a very
      rewarding process. Family reunions are great fun, and much information
      can be gathered, be sure and find out if, and where one is. Or start
      one yourself. Good way to "meet the family" living and dead.

      Good luck, you will enjoy your search, I guarantee. It's a great
      experience!

      http://woptura.com/buffalo.html
    • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6, 2004
        Oh yeah,...who were your grandparents? There are a lot of good
        researchers here on the list, but we need names and dates in order to
        help you.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 6, 2004
          Second submission

          leannamongan wrote:

          When I joined this list a mere month ago, genealogy was the last
          thing on my mind. Then it happened - I have been bitten by the "who
          are my great-grandparents" bug. I've signed up for the 2 week free
          trial at Ancestry.com, and did not learn anything I didn't already
          know - my grandparents immigrated to Galveston in 1908. So, now I'm
          --------------------clipped------------------------------
        • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
          Message 4 of 6 , May 6, 2004
            Second submission:

            ----- Original Message ----- From: "J.D. Kotrla-Chipps" <jdkc@...>

            --

            http://woptura.com/buffalo.html
          • ford4free2002
            Message 5 of 6 , May 9, 2004
              Ahoj Leanna,

              I stopped reading the replies, and I hope that I am not repeating.
              Find birth and death records of family for names of parents.
              Usually courthouses of birth or death area will provide copies for a
              very small fee.

              Courthouses can also provide applications for citizenship,
              immigration records, land purchases, etc. Be creative, but make
              sure it is in the right county!

              If you are trying to locate point of origin and you don't want to go
              to CZ, then make a posting on MyCzechRepublic.com. There are a
              bunch of folks in the old country who love to help.

              Once you have found town of origin, send the CZ a request for
              research of the names you have and beyond. Be sure to get the right
              forms, try emailing the CZ embassy in New York. They are always
              very helpful. It will cost a few dollars, I have done 3 searches
              and have spent $36 US.

              Goodluck in your search and use the person's advice who said write
              down all that you remember about the family and the names. Do it
              over a period of time, cause they come back over time.

              Na Shledanou, BM