Genealogy Book Recommendations, Prosím

  • leannamongan
    Message 1 of 6 , May 5 11:26 PM
      When I joined this list a mere month ago, genealogy was the last
      thing on my mind. Then it happened - I have been bitten by the "who
      are my great-grandparents" bug. I've signed up for the 2 week free
      trial at Ancestry.com, and did not learn anything I didn't already
      know - my grandparents immigrated to Galveston in 1908. So, now I'm
      stuck. Since it has been 100 degrees plus here in Southern
      California, I made good use of the air conditioning (and Thomas train
      set for the kids) at Barnes & Noble yesterday afternoon. That was a
      pointless trip except for the $15 I spent at the Starbucks (kids
      again - they sure can be expensive!) So, tonight I started going
      through Amazon.com. I like them, new books and free shipping.
      However, there are a lot of books there about Genealogy. Even the
      reviews are too helpful. I looked through this TexasCzech website
      since this seems to be the biggest group of family researchers I am
      familiar with, but could find no recommendations for basic beginners
      book on how to find out who my ancestors were.

      My aunt did a family tree with all the basics of who married who when
      and births from these unions, but that is it. Well, not exactly
      all. It seems many of us have been unlucky in love, so the divorces
      are there too.

      Anyway, I would just like to know what all ya'll think about the
      various genealogy how-to books out there and where best I might spend
      my husband's hard earned money. I was also thinking about getting
      one of those software programs to organize it all, but again, there
      are people who love and hate them all. Does anyone here use any of
      these things or is it a waste of time learning how to use yet another
      computer program?

      And, since I'm asking questions here, does anyone have any idea how
      to find out who my grandparents parents were? I asked my aunt and
      she doesn't know. Since they were both born in Moravia in the
      1880's, is there anyway to find out? Sorry if that makes anyone
      shake their head in disbelief, but I was just wondering...

      I'd really appreciate any opinions or recommendations.

      Thanks so much,
      Leanna Šulák Mongan
      Somehow related to people named Sulak, Kovar, Jakubec, Valek, Hurtik,
      Watterson, Haynes, Thacker, Sefcik, Marek, Shebesta, Ketterman,
      Hradecky, Knesek, Gravston, Walton, Hlavinka, Barnes, Ambruzova,
      Kubacek, Stephan, Rusnak, Beeler, Darilek, and Frei
    • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
      Message 2 of 6 , May 6 6:47 AM
        Best way to start is to write down everything you already know, and
        you'll surprise yourself with how much that is. Parents, aunts, uncles,
        cousins, grandparents, grandaunts and uncles, second cousins, etc.

        I definitely recommend a genealogy program, but some are better than
        others. I prefer RootsMagic, (http://www.rootsmagic.com). A new
        version is just now being released.

        I'd avoid paying for information, as most of it is a scam. Research in
        Czechoslovakia will cost, and I'd go with recommendations from the list
        here on people that are reputable. But that's "on down the road". For
        now, fill in as much information as you already know, and talk to as
        many living relatives as you can. They too will "remember" more than
        they think they do once they get started.

        I started off, much like yourself, a little over 15 years ago, and
        didn't think I knew much at all, but lo and behold, I remembered more
        than I thought, my sister helped with that which I had forgotten, and
        then aunts and uncles started popping up, and family bibles, and
        newspaper articles, (mostly obits) with more names, and today, I have a
        database of over 8,000 relatives. You will too, and it's a great legacy
        to leave your family. I wish someone had done all of this before
        everyone died off, a lot has been lost forever. But I've been able to
        preserve much more that would have been lost in a few more generations.

        Like I say, it's a great legacy to leave behind, and it's a very
        rewarding process. Family reunions are great fun, and much information
        can be gathered, be sure and find out if, and where one is. Or start
        one yourself. Good way to "meet the family" living and dead.

        Good luck, you will enjoy your search, I guarantee. It's a great
        experience!

        http://woptura.com/buffalo.html
      • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
        Message 3 of 6 , May 6 6:54 AM
          Oh yeah,...who were your grandparents? There are a lot of good
          researchers here on the list, but we need names and dates in order to
          help you.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 6 8:20 AM
            Second submission

            leannamongan wrote:

            When I joined this list a mere month ago, genealogy was the last
            thing on my mind. Then it happened - I have been bitten by the "who
            are my great-grandparents" bug. I've signed up for the 2 week free
            trial at Ancestry.com, and did not learn anything I didn't already
            know - my grandparents immigrated to Galveston in 1908. So, now I'm
            --------------------clipped------------------------------
          • J.D. Kotrla-Chipps
            Message 5 of 6 , May 6 8:22 AM
              Second submission:

              ----- Original Message ----- From: "J.D. Kotrla-Chipps" <jdkc@...>

              --

              http://woptura.com/buffalo.html
            • ford4free2002
              Message 6 of 6 , May 9 7:48 PM
                Ahoj Leanna,

                I stopped reading the replies, and I hope that I am not repeating.
                Find birth and death records of family for names of parents.
                Usually courthouses of birth or death area will provide copies for a
                very small fee.

                Courthouses can also provide applications for citizenship,
                immigration records, land purchases, etc. Be creative, but make
                sure it is in the right county!

                If you are trying to locate point of origin and you don't want to go
                to CZ, then make a posting on MyCzechRepublic.com. There are a
                bunch of folks in the old country who love to help.

                Once you have found town of origin, send the CZ a request for
                research of the names you have and beyond. Be sure to get the right
                forms, try emailing the CZ embassy in New York. They are always
                very helpful. It will cost a few dollars, I have done 3 searches
                and have spent $36 US.

                Goodluck in your search and use the person's advice who said write
                down all that you remember about the family and the names. Do it
                over a period of time, cause they come back over time.

                Na Shledanou, BM