Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech Moravian Brethren in Shiner info

  • Patricia Mercincavage
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2004
      This is the church my Moravian great-grandparents belonged to in Shiner in the early 1900's.  I visited it last summer with my sister and we finally found our great-grandfather Pavel Kracala's burial place there at the cemetery.  He was buried there in 1907.  I've attached a photo for the group.  You can see the side of the church building in the background and his grave in the foreground.  The grave behind him and a little to the right bears the name Hurta.  Many stones appeared to have been replaced over the years, but others like my great grandfather's were the originals.  The cemetery seemed to be well cared for.  We were thrilled to find it after wondering for so long where he was.

      I hope the photo isn't too large to get through to you.

      Pat Mercincavage
      Great Falls, Virginia
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2004
        Pat,

        Do you by chance have given names in the Hurta plot?  Seems two stones, in addition to the head stone.  I was not aware of having Hurta's in our Mikeska line until after my visit to Shiner and therefore did not obtain the names.

        Thanks.

        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
        .  The grave behind him and a little to the right bears the name Hurta.
      • Elaine Malina

          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2004
            Elaine,

            I have about as many Hurtas' you listed, but not hits.  Sure hope you information helps someone on the list.

            I, as you, was impressed with the upkeep of the cemetery.  Sight of the church by itself in the country side impressed me, too.

            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
            Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:50 PM

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2004
              Elaine,
              Thanks for replying with your wonderful information.  I did not have time on that quick visit to keep a record of those around my gggrandpa Pavel.  My sister and I celebrated and cried when we finally found him after so many years of wondering where he was.  Then we had to move on, because our flights home were waiting.  We'll be back though!!
              Pat Mercincavage

              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                You are welcome.  My mother-in-law, Angelyn Malina, gave me this list and the history of the Shiner Brethren Church and Cemetery.  Until 2003 she kept the cemetery mowed and weeded with the help of friends and family. However, at the age of 89, it is was too difficult for her to continue.  A plea went out from newly composed cemetery committee, made up of people who have ancestors buried at the cemetery, for contributions to the "Shiner Brethren Cemetery Fund."   Most of the members of the Shiner Brethren Church are elderly; therefore, someone must be hired to do the maintenance.  Ms. Annelle Kutac, 3225 W. State Hwy. 111, Yoakum, TX 77995 is handling the donations. If anyone in this group has an ancestor buried there, they might consider making donation.