The Ova

  • Leroy & Charlene
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
      The "ova" is added because it is female. Czech has gender in the nouns
      and verbs.
      Most tombstones in the CR have Rodina *ova. The Hurta Tombstones have
      Rodina Hurtova. "Family" is female, therefore they do the ova thing.
      Page 24 of Czech step by step, Lesson 2. All things are divided into
      male, female, and neutral.
      When you learn how to tell how this is done, You Know Czech....

      Na Shledanou,
      Leroy
    • Tim Dybala
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2000
        Thank you to all that responded. Leroy, I'm glad you pointed out that the
        word 'rodina' (family) is consisered feminine. My next question was going
        to be "Why do headstones of a man have -ova on the end of the family
        name".....but you all have adequately answered my initial question about
        the -ova suffix. Tim D.