Czech Moravian Brethren in Shiner info

  • rebellous_99
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
      This information comes from the book After Half Moon: A History of
      Shiner, Texas 1887-1975 by Dorothy Blohm Goerte (1976: 95):

      Czech Moravian Brethren

      The Czech Moravian Brethren built a church in 1905. (The Gazette of
      that time called the organization the Evangelistic Bohemian
      Brethren.) On February 26, 1905 at a meeting of the elders it was
      decided to buy one acre of land next to the cemetery plot about four
      miles south of Shiner. The cemetery plot had been donated by Mr. and
      Mrs. Tom Hurta. The one acre of land for the church building was
      bought from Mr. and Mrs. John Wagner, parents of the late Frank M.
      Wagner for $75.00. On August 13, the new church was consecrated.
      Revs. Adolph Chlumsky, Henry Juren, Paul Dyck and William Dziewas
      were all present to conduct the services.

      The Mutual Aid Society of the church was formed with thirty members
      at a convention at the Shiner church on September 14, 1905.
    • Sir John
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
        Rebellous,

        Attaching photo of the Brethren Church the article is about.  Photo made July 31, 2003 when Dr. Jan Mikeska and his wife, Petr Exner (university student from the Czech Republic) and I visited the church.  Photo by Petr Exner - the rays appear from the sun and highlights the Church, IMHO.  Sir John

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 29, 2004
          Thanks for the picture, John.

          Matt
        • Patricia Mercincavage
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2004
            This is the church my Moravian great-grandparents belonged to in Shiner in the early 1900's.  I visited it last summer with my sister and we finally found our great-grandfather Pavel Kracala's burial place there at the cemetery.  He was buried there in 1907.  I've attached a photo for the group.  You can see the side of the church building in the background and his grave in the foreground.  The grave behind him and a little to the right bears the name Hurta.  Many stones appeared to have been replaced over the years, but others like my great grandfather's were the originals.  The cemetery seemed to be well cared for.  We were thrilled to find it after wondering for so long where he was.

            I hope the photo isn't too large to get through to you.

            Pat Mercincavage
            Great Falls, Virginia

            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2004
              Pat,

              Do you by chance have given names in the Hurta plot?  Seems two stones, in addition to the head stone.  I was not aware of having Hurta's in our Mikeska line until after my visit to Shiner and therefore did not obtain the names.

              Thanks.

              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
              .  The grave behind him and a little to the right bears the name Hurta.
            • Elaine Malina

                Message 7 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                  Elaine,

                  I have about as many Hurtas' you listed, but not hits.  Sure hope you information helps someone on the list.

                  I, as you, was impressed with the upkeep of the cemetery.  Sight of the church by itself in the country side impressed me, too.

                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                  Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:50 PM

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                    Elaine,
                    Thanks for replying with your wonderful information.  I did not have time on that quick visit to keep a record of those around my gggrandpa Pavel.  My sister and I celebrated and cried when we finally found him after so many years of wondering where he was.  Then we had to move on, because our flights home were waiting.  We'll be back though!!
                    Pat Mercincavage

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 1, 2004
                      You are welcome.  My mother-in-law, Angelyn Malina, gave me this list and the history of the Shiner Brethren Church and Cemetery.  Until 2003 she kept the cemetery mowed and weeded with the help of friends and family. However, at the age of 89, it is was too difficult for her to continue.  A plea went out from newly composed cemetery committee, made up of people who have ancestors buried at the cemetery, for contributions to the "Shiner Brethren Cemetery Fund."   Most of the members of the Shiner Brethren Church are elderly; therefore, someone must be hired to do the maintenance.  Ms. Annelle Kutac, 3225 W. State Hwy. 111, Yoakum, TX 77995 is handling the donations. If anyone in this group has an ancestor buried there, they might consider making donation.