Re: [TexasCzechs] Bluebonnetsande tractors

  • Sir John
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2004
      Patricia,

      You make me wish I had gone to West and be near your country to photo the Bluebonnets. But leg with knee replacement making itself well knows - stayed home.

      But your description of the Farmall and John Deere really caught my attention!  My dec'd brother-in-law bought a similar Farmall and took it to his home in Pasadena, TX and restored it.  Then gave it to his father-in-law who farmed in Arkansas, which he was unaware of the restoration going on.  And the John Deere - recall the first tractor paternal grandfather bought was a 2-cyl John Deere, with metal wheels, When my sister and I went to the farm when Polio season came around in the summer, that Deere was my favorite 'Toy'!

      Grandfather continued to use his horse and walk behind the plow to til the land, while he left it to the boys to use the tractor. I think he probably found it easier to feed the horse than start the Deere....  I learned how to open the compression valves on each cylinder and be able to crank the engine by turning the flywheel.  Loved to hear the Swish-Swish and think I was about 18 instead of 8 years old!!!!!  I'd pretend I started the engine and climb up on the tractor seat, and start going "Pop Pop Pop  - whish Which, Pop Pop" and so on!  LOL

      Something interesting (to me and cousins) were the fact the son's of Grandfather that farmed used John Deere tractors and drove Ford vehicles.  The daughter's husbands had Farmall and drove Chevy's!  I've heard several stories between the men how John Deere had more power, used less fuel  at cheaper prices (kerosene) but the Farmall men said their tractors were easier to start, not as much vibration, etc etc., and didn't have the tendency to rear up and overturn, if you applied too much power when starting off.  (That made me kinda glad I never drove one of those green monsters!)  And John Deere still has green paint left over from the 1930's as still using that color .  <G>.

      Wasn't too much conversation regarding use of Ford or GM vehicles, but more "why would anyone want a Chrysler product?"  <G>