Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Traveling to the Czech Republic

  • Yahoo
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2004
      Vernon,

      Very interesting website you have and extremely interesting description of
      your visit to the Czech Republic. I noticed you have a Frank Mikeska and
      wife listed, but I did not recognize them being any in my list.

      Thanks for sharing. Hope others will take the time and enjoy the very good
      photos and descriptions you put in the website.

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2004
        Traveling to CR can be very fun but you must watch out
        for the pickpockets, little children mostly . My first
        trip to CR was back in college , in all I spent only
        $500 for round trip airfare. I landed in Amsterdam and
        took the Tram to CR. a pass is only $200 and is good
        for 15 days on any tram but the catch is you can only
        board five times. But it is still good to have. I
        learned quickly to stay out of the Classy bars, in one
        place I ordered a glass of house wine and a soup.
        thinking it would only be a few dollars. I was wrong
        it turned out to be $350 after that I stayed with the
        street venders, it is cheap and wonderful. For those
        who wish to experience Czech not as a tourist there
        are families willing to take you in for a little fee
        it is less than a Hotel and you get free showers and
        wonderous meals. As for air Travel I went through AAA
        they have some good airfares for the summer . But if
        you travel as a family or a couple I would suggest
        going to Cheapairfares.com it has some of the best
        fares I have seen. Including around the world fares
        starting at 1800$ ..My wife and I went last year to
        spend The Holidays with my cousins and it was great.
        But summer is the best time. If you do go over make
        sure you can at least read some Czech or even Speak a
        few words, they love to stick it to you on some
        things. Like prices will be written in czech not
        english and if you do not understand you could be
        paying a higher price. also when you exchange your
        money for Euros go to the banks , the Czechoslovakian
        Bank in Prague is the best deal. with all this in
        mind have a good time and say Hello to the Beran
        Family when you get there. John Beran

        http://search.yahoo.com
      • Judy Vondra
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 16, 2004
          John,
          That is why we are hiring an interpreter. I will definitely not order wine
          and soup. $350?? for wine and soup? Wow. My family normally hires Petr to
          drive them around which is about $100 a day. It will be costly but I would
          just spend the money on something else here. If I'm going, I'm going all
          out. I will keep my ears and eyes open for the Beran family. Where do they
          live?
          Judy Vondra
          Lovelady, Texas
          www.geocities.com/vondrarosenbaum/TexasCzechs.html

          > Traveling to CR can be very fun but you must watch out
          > for the pickpockets, little children mostly . My first
          > trip to CR was back in college , in all I spent only
          > $500 for round trip airfare. I landed in Amsterdam and
          > took the Tram to CR. a pass is only $200 and is good
          > for 15 days on any tram but the catch is you can only
          > board five times. But it is still good to have. I
          > learned quickly to stay out of the Classy bars, in one
          > place I ordered a glass of house wine and a soup.
          > thinking it would only be a few dollars. I was wrong
          > it turned out to be $350 after that I stayed with the
          > street venders, it is cheap and wonderful. For those
          > who wish to experience Czech not as a tourist there
          > are families willing to take you in for a little fee
          > it is less than a Hotel and you get free showers and
          > wonderous meals. As for air Travel I went through AAA
          > they have some good airfares for the summer . But if
          > you travel as a family or a couple I would suggest
          > going to Cheapairfares.com it has some of the best
          > fares I have seen. Including around the world fares
          > starting at 1800$ ..My wife and I went last year to
          > spend The Holidays with my cousins and it was great.
          > But summer is the best time. If you do go over make
          > sure you can at least read some Czech or even Speak a
          > few words, they love to stick it to you on some
          > things. Like prices will be written in czech not
          > english and if you do not understand you could be
          > paying a higher price. also when you exchange your
          > money for Euros go to the banks , the Czechoslovakian
          > Bank in Prague is the best deal. with all this in
          > mind have a good time and say Hello to the Beran
          > Family when you get there. John Beran

          > http://search.yahoo.com

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • barbi grl
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 18, 2004
            i'll type in a few tips i find useful...
            i came by myself - kind of with a group, but separated
            myself from them at times. groups have their
            advantages - like a tour guide who knows cool facts.
            being alone you have to read up yourself - each are
            fun.

            large groups are not well-liked in many places here
            still because there aren't many large places - like
            restaurants and pubs. i've been in groups of 12 or
            more and we were turned away sometimes.

            money - travelers checks i suggest AGAINST. i think
            using an ATM is easiest and you can pull out as
            necessary. exchange rate is just as good if not a
            little better.

            arranging airlines - internet or agency. looked for
            cheapest route. lufthansa used to be cheapest, but not
            so anymore from what i've seen. if you're a teacher,
            you can apply for a Teacher's card that offers
            discounts. in part with ISIC card for students and the
            IYIC card for youth under 26.

            off-beaten paths. just look down a street, if you
            like, try it. you never know what you might find.
            also...a great site is www.virtualtourist.com lots of
            people with their travles, giving their hints and
            tips.

            places to stay - if you're in the small villages, you
            wont usually have a problem hitting a pension/hostel.
            be prepared for a Huge difference sometimes. it's what
            me and my friends might call "czechish." :)
            recommendations - great village in moravia: stromberk.
            they have a beautiful hotel: www.hotelsipka.cz i've
            stayed there twice.

            i'm listed on virtualtourist as barbipez, so if you go
            to the site, you can see some of what i've written in
            about places in europe.

            one thing about traveling - when you mingle with the
            locals, act like a local. dont walk into a local
            hospoda/pub with loud obnoxious voices if everyone
            else is not. and dont go there telling them about what
            they are or what their culture is like. i've been in
            bars where some foreigner will come in and start
            talking about communism in prague to people who Lived
            thru it...dont get me wrong, discussing an issue is
            one thing. telling a 1st-hander what it was like when
            they already know is something different.

            barbi_grl

            --- FMikula@... wrote:
            > Many of you have traveled to the Czech Republic "on
            > your own" rather than on
            > a group tour. I know that there are listers now that
            > may be planning to travel
            > to the CR "on their own" for the first time.
            >
            > I feel it might be very useful for these folks if
            > you "experienced" travelers
            > shared your experiences and provided tips to these
            > "first timers."
            >
            > How did you arrange your travel? What airlines,
            > routes, connections do you
            > recommend? If not just visiting relatives over
            > there, how did you find quaint
            > off the beaten path areas of interest? How did you
            > arrange your travel about the
            > country? Did you use an "in-country" guide? Are
            > there contacts you can
            > provide for such a trip?
            >
            > Sharing such info and useful tips could prove to be
            > very interesting and
            > informative.
            > So, please, take a bit of time off from your spring
            > chores and share with us!
            > I might have some such tips myself!
            >
            > Ol' Frank

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Yahoo
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 18, 2004
              Barbi Girl,

              You always seem pretty busy, and we appreciate your taking the time to write your suggestions as you did.  From what I read, think travelrs should pay attention to your suggestion whereever they in the World!!

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 19, 2004
                i want people to have as much fun and as many great
                memories as i have had, so i don't mind at all!!!

                another thing i suggest - when in prague especially,
                you have to be careful of pickpocketers. a big no-no
                is when you go to a restaurant, ladies-do not hang
                your purse on the back of your chair. easy way for it
                to be stolen.
                and when anyone is on a tram or subway/metro make sure
                your money/wallets are inside - like the inside pocket
                of your jacket, purses are zipped shut, backpacks
                zipped.