Ku Klux Klan and the Czechs

  • Nbmachu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
      About two weeks ago, a question was asked about the relationship of the Ku Klux Klan and the Czech settlers.  Here is the translated item from The Bratrske Listy, (the Protestant Magazine)  from 1924:

             "On October 15, toward the end of our afternoon services, four members of the Ku Klux Klan visited the congregation in Taylor and they gave the pastor a letter. It stated that they knew of our plans and they are interested in our plan to build a new church building. They stated that they wanted to give us a $25.00 gift. After the reading of the letter, they calmly walked out and we continued the service.  This was the first visit of the KKK to any of our churches and it showed that we do not have to fear them."

      Nancy
    • richardgarza1@juno.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2004
        Hi Nancy,
        How sad to think that it only took $25 to get these Slavic
        immigrants to think kindy of the KKK. Thanks to the efforts of the KKK &
        affiliated eugenics societies, the very restrictive Johnson-Reed Act was
        passed in 1924. And only a few years later the KKK would be hailing
        Hitler's plans for the Slavs of Eastern Europe.
        It always strikes me as perverse to see the Rebel flag flying at
        a Czech-owned rural home when those same folks wouldn't even consider
        flying the Nazi flag, which had a longer history than the Confederate
        States, even if they had German marriages in their family.<g>
        Rick Garza

        On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 19:08:00 EST Nbmachu@... writes:
        About two weeks ago, a question was asked about the relationship of the
        Ku Klux Klan and the Czech settlers. Here is the translated item from
        The Bratrske Listy, (the Protestant Magazine) from 1924:

        "On October 15, toward the end of our afternoon services, four
        members of the Ku Klux Klan visited the congregation in Taylor and they
        gave the pastor a letter. It stated that they knew of our plans and they
        are interested in our plan to build a new church building. They stated
        that they wanted to give us a $25.00 gift. After the reading of the
        letter, they calmly walked out and we continued the service. This was
        the first visit of the KKK to any of our churches and it showed that we
        do not have to fear them."

        Nancy

        .

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!