Re: Smart cows

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
      I always did think cows were smarter than anyone gave them credit for. When
      we would pick black-eyed peas some of the cows would watch over the garden
      fence, then follow us to the house trying to snatch a mouthful, and then
      would wait outside the yard fence and bawl until they got the peels. You
      could run them off a little ways but they'd always gather again. They also
      liked watermelon. We had a pair of ducks "Pete" & "Repeat" who were very
      fond of watermelon but they had to share the rinds with the cows. But then
      again, cows will eat anything. I remember Mom pulling an old inner tube out
      of one that had managed to swallow most of it. Yuck! And they always tried
      to get into the sudan patch before it ripened and then we have some bloated
      cows, which was an emergency.

      We also had a neighbor who would "help" the bull escape so he could visit
      their cows. You could tell the fence had been taken down rather than broken
      down, but daddy would just grin and leave him for a day and then go round
      him up. The funny thing was if they had asked, daddy would have lent him to
      them. Guess they were too embarrassed to ask but not to steal! ha. If any
      of you remember the old Maw & Paw Kettle movies, that family was a lot like
      that. The husband didn't do much. When the boys were big enough anything
      that got done they did it, and the mother was a large lady, kind of loud,
      like Maw Kettle and you could hear her yelling at the old man down at our
      house about a mile across as the crow flies.

      Before I was born mom & dad had an old white mule and he was really smart.
      He kept getting out and daddy couldn't figure out how. All the fences were
      up and gates closed. One day mom was up at the barn and she saw the mule
      down by the gate so she watched and she said he got down on his knees and
      crawled under the gate! Daddy put in a cattle guard but it didn't stop that
      old mule. He would just walk right across.

      So many great stories. Keep telling them!
      Pat